BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

09-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #1
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Rolex vintage DateJust repair

Hi guys, hopefully you can lend some advice. I inherited a vintage date just from an uncle who passed away. Watch is approx 30 years old? It has been my daily for many years. I recently dropped it and something broke internally. It now runs very fast.

I checked into an authorized Rolex repair in Boulder and they wanted minimum agreement of $1250 up front before the watch was even looked at. Seems steep for a watch that is probably worth $2500? Is the "authorized" Rolex repair worth it? Are non authorized repair shops ok? Anybody you would recommend in Colorado ?

I love the watch and want to fix it. Also want it to be done right. At the same time don't want to be bent over...

Thanks in Advance.
      09-14-2019, 04:29 AM   #2
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

You should check over here. You’ll likely get some great suggestions.
https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

I have an older Sea Dweller, and although it's expensive I get it serviced at Rolex. They will warranty the watch when it's done and it will be like new. They don't just fix it, they service it and replace anything that is worn and need of repair, including new seal etc. The watch is buffed and polished and will come back looking as close to new as possible, they also bench test the watch to ensure it's keeping excellent Rolex time, so a bit slow or a bit fast.(if you want a timepiece that keeps excellent time get a Timex for $30.). The turn around time is usually a few weeks. There are some folks out there who aren't authorized and who can service the watch but you get what you pay for. My 2 cents. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
You should check over here. You’ll likely get some great suggestions.
https://www.rolexforums.com/index.php
Check out Rik Dietel at Time Care Inc.; he's independant and won't give you any BS. He's also a TRF (The Rolex Forums) member and very well regarded. He does great work!!! Just search and you'll find him.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 09-14-2019 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
      09-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I may be totally wrong, but I thought that Rolex parts were impossible to get.
There is a market for used Rolex parts because Rolex will not sell to independent repair shops - I don’t even think Rolex sells parts to authorized dealers ?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I may be totally wrong, but I thought that Rolex parts were impossible to get.
There is a market for used Rolex parts because Rolex will not sell to independent repair shops - I don’t even think Rolex sells parts to authorized dealers ?
Rik has a Rolex parts account and is a CW21 certified watchmaker. If nothing else it's worthwhile talking with him. Regarding parts accounts, I'm sorry, you are totally wrong. Rik does a great job and has worked on my watches before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBuff View Post
Hi guys, hopefully you can lend some advice. I inherited a vintage date just from an uncle who passed away. Watch is approx 30 years old? It has been my daily for many years. I recently dropped it and something broke internally. It now runs very fast.

I checked into an authorized Rolex repair in Boulder and they wanted minimum agreement of $1250 up front before the watch was even looked at. Seems steep for a watch that is probably worth $2500? Is the "authorized" Rolex repair worth it? Are non authorized repair shops ok? Anybody you would recommend in Colorado ?

I love the watch and want to fix it. Also want it to be done right. At the same time don't want to be bent over...

Thanks in Advance.

Also, I've never heard of anything like an RSC (Rolex Service Center) demanding money just to look at a watch. Since there are none in Boulder it wasn't a Rolex shop. The two biggies in the US are in Dallas and NYC. If it would make you feel better than you might contact them and see what they say.

Last edited by hogwldfltr; 09-14-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwldfltr View Post
Rik has a Rolex parts account and is a CW21 certified watchmaker. If nothing else it's worthwhile talking with him. Regarding parts accounts, I'm sorry, you are totally wrong. Rik does a great job and has worked on my watches before.
You know, I may have been confusing with Richemont threat to stop making ebauches available, or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
You know, I may have been confusing with Richemont threat to stop making ebauches available, or something similar.
No problem; Rolex is making it harder for repair shops to get parts but I know of quite a few who still can. ETA is also being throttled back by Swatch causing Tudor and others to go to their own inhouse solutions.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep

Thanks for the replies! The shop in Boulder is an "authorized Rolex dealer". They still send it to Dallas for "Rolex repair" or have an independent local guy that "may bee cheaper". They didn't demand the $1250 upfront, just an "agreement" I think.

I am leaning toward the Rolex repair. There is just so much "unknown" with all the independent guys. I will check out the Rolex forum, thanks! I will also check out Rik Dietel at Time Care Inc. Thanks!!!
      09-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #10
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

there are tons of independent watchsmiths in the denver area that can service that for less than half what you were quoted.

just start calling around and see what they say. The 1570 or 3035 movement, depending on what year your datejust is, is a very simple movement that any competent watchsmith can work on.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #11
earlgrey69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

I had an old Rolex OP that I inherited and I sent it to Mark Sirianni in PA. He did excellent work, looks almost new. Would definitely use him again.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #12
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Personally I would take the plunge and go with the Rolex center. My wife inherited a watch from her grandmother, and had it serviced at a local "authorized dealer". Never seemed quite right after that service, so a few years later we sent it down to the center in Dallas. Ended up they had tweaked the case, so that had to be replaced, new serial # on the case, and all that, but the watch came back basically brand new, a full new set of papers due to the case change etc.

That service cost nearly 5K though... so we basically ended up with a "new" old watch with family history. Her dad still wears the matching men's watch daily as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlgrey69 View Post
I had an old Rolex OP that I inherited and I sent it to Mark Sirianni in PA. He did excellent work, looks almost new. Would definitely use him again.
I'd look up/investigate his reputation on TRF.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! The shop in Boulder is an "authorized Rolex dealer". They still send it to Dallas for "Rolex repair" or have an independent local guy that "may bee cheaper". They didn't demand the $1250 upfront, just an "agreement" I think.

I am leaning toward the Rolex repair. There is just so much "unknown" with all the independent guys. I will check out the Rolex forum, thanks! I will also check out Rik Dietel at Time Care Inc. Thanks!!!
While you're nosing around the Rolex Forums you'll likely see my screen name over there as I've got around 22K posts+ there under the same screen name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
Personally I would take the plunge and go with the Rolex center. My wife inherited a watch from her grandmother, and had it serviced at a local "authorized dealer". Never seemed quite right after that service, so a few years later we sent it down to the center in Dallas. Ended up they had tweaked the case, so that had to be replaced, new serial # on the case, and all that, but the watch came back basically brand new, a full new set of papers due to the case change etc.

That service cost nearly 5K though... so we basically ended up with a "new" old watch with family history. Her dad still wears the matching men's watch daily as well.
That is the issue with RSC; they don't like to return watches with original parts specifically tritium dials and hands. If someone is a serious collector or wants to retain the value of their watch, the more original the better. Better off going with a well known indie like Rik.

I had my wife's Tudor serviced by RSC. It was expensive; they screwed it up and tried to blame her because it acted exactly the way it did when we sent it to them. The service cost more than the watch did. The second time in they fixed it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #14
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

While you're nosing around the Rolex Forums you'll likely see my screen name over there as I've got around 22K posts+ there under the same screen name.

That is the issue with RSC; they don't like to return watches with original parts specifically tritium dials and hands. If someone is a serious collector or wants to retain the value of their watch, the more original the better. Better off going with a well known indie like Rik.

I had my wife's Tudor serviced by RSC. It was expensive; they screwed it up and tried to blame her because it acted exactly the way it did when we sent it to them. The service cost more than the watch did. The second time in they fixed it correctly.
yeah rsc is a rip off unless you are under warranty on a new watch. 6 month + wait time, extremely high service costs, and despite you telling them to leave the watch original and to just handle the movement, most times you will get service dial/hands and a refinished case.

so many horror stories of vintage watches going in worth 10s of thousands and coming out worth 10k

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #15
earlgrey69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Quote:

I was just offering my personal experience with him. My watch came out great.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #16
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
there are tons of independent watchsmiths in the denver area that can service that for less than half what you were quoted.

just start calling around and see what they say. The 1570 or 3035 movement, depending on what year your datejust is, is a very simple movement that any competent watchsmith can work on.
Can you recommend 1 or 2 specifically? Can pm me if you like! I am looking for good reputation, trustworthy etc which is why I am asking for referrals!
      09-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #17
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Can you recommend 1 or 2 specifically? Can pm me if you like! I am looking for good reputation, trustworthy etc which is why I am asking for referrals!
https://propertime.net/repairs

this guy does good work.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #18
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I'm sorry, but the fact that someone is giving you an "estimate" before the Rolex repair facility they even looks at it is a problem. Rolex will not give an estimate until they receive the watch.

I've sent several of my current and past watches to Rolex for repair/service and not once did I get a price until they had the watch in their hands and assessed it personally.

Basically, I sent the watch to them with the specifics of what I was looking for. This varied by watch for me and Rolex was happy to oblige with my requests.
When I received the price from them, I had to give them the go ahead to do the work. They would not start the work UNTIL I said to go ahead.
If I didn't approve of the price or the work being done/suggested - they would simple return the watch.

At best, you're probably looking at a rebuild of the movement, plus the part that broke. I'd say you'll be into it for less than $1000 easy. The watch can't be replaced for this amount and should last a long, long time.

Do yourself a favor, go to another AD and have them send the watch to Rolex. You can't go wrong with sending it directly to Rolex for service. You know EXACTLY what you're getting, plus a warranty on the repair.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 06:53 AM   #19
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I'm sorry, but the fact that someone is giving you an "estimate" before the Rolex repair facility they even looks at it is a problem. Rolex will not give an estimate until they receive the watch.

I've sent several of my current and past watches to Rolex for repair/service and not once did I get a price until they had the watch in their hands and assessed it personally.

Basically, I sent the watch to them with the specifics of what I was looking for. This varied by watch for me and Rolex was happy to oblige with my requests.
When I received the price from them, I had to give them the go ahead to do the work. They would not start the work UNTIL I said to go ahead.
If I didn't approve of the price or the work being done/suggested - they would simple return the watch.

At best, you're probably looking at a rebuild of the movement, plus the part that broke. I'd say you'll be into it for less than $1000 easy. The watch can't be replaced for this amount and should last a long, long time.

Do yourself a favor, go to another AD and have them send the watch to Rolex. You can't go wrong with sending it directly to Rolex for service. You know EXACTLY what you're getting, plus a warranty on the repair.
Again, if you want to keep it as original as possible an RSC is not the way to go. My wife's Tudor with tritium dial and hands could only be serviced by them if I would allow them to replace the dial and hands. I did; the cost was $1500 for the full service. A watch from the time period in discussion will likely have tritium as they started replacing tritium with Luminova in 1998.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...hlight=tritium
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #20
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Again, if you want to keep it as original as possible an RSC is not the way to go. My wife's Tudor with tritium dial and hands could only be serviced by them if I would allow them to replace the dial and hands. I did; the cost was $1500 for the full service. A watch from the time period in discussion will likely have tritium as they started replacing tritium with Luminova in 1998.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...hlight=tritium
That's funny, because when I sent my 1973 GMT for service to the RSC I told them I wanted just the movement serviced and that was it. Nothing else was to be touched. If they wouldn't do what I wanted, please send it back.

My AD, with whom I'd sent it through, thought it would be "great to have a brand new watch again" with all the new parts and actually argued with me about it. They had no clue that the insert as-is was worth 10x what a new one is worth I had to explain to them why it was worth more as original rather than restoring it. They agreed and sent it in.

Of course RSC had made several "recommendations" during the service - polish the case, change the dial and hands, replace the insert etc. My dial and hands to not glow at all anymore.

I declined and they serviced just the movement and sent my watch back. Now I have a warranty on the service work and fully backed and authenticated by Rolex. This is a big deal when it comes to watches without any paperwork as my GMT does not have any.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #21
hogwldfltr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
That's funny, because when I sent my 1973 GMT for service to the RSC I told them I wanted just the movement serviced and that was it. Nothing else was to be touched. If they wouldn't do what I wanted, please send it back.

My AD, with whom I'd sent it through, thought it would be "great to have a brand new watch again" with all the new parts and actually argued with me about it. They had no clue that the insert as-is was worth 10x what a new one is worth I had to explain to them why it was worth more as original rather than restoring it. They agreed and sent it in.

Of course RSC had made several "recommendations" during the service - polish the case, change the dial and hands, replace the insert etc. My dial and hands to not glow at all anymore.

I declined and they serviced just the movement and sent my watch back. Now I have a warranty on the service work and fully backed and authenticated by Rolex. This is a big deal when it comes to watches without any paperwork as my GMT does not have any.
As I said, in my case they gave no alternative choice. I should have pulled the watch and had it serviced at an independent. Regarding the value of papers; it depends on the watch. I had my 14060 serviced and received the warranty. Actually it wasn't through an RSC but through a shop that could give a Rolex warranty. It got the Rolex card but not the replacement dial and hands. Since Rolex searches the history of the watch they somewhat guarantee authenticity. But as some have noted, papers are the most easily counterfeited part of the Rolex package.
Appreciate 1
TSM330i873.50
      09-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #22
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
As I said, in my case they gave no alternative choice. I should have pulled the watch and had it serviced at an independent. Regarding the value of papers; it depends on the watch. I had my 14060 serviced and received the warranty. Actually it wasn't through an RSC but through a shop that could give a Rolex warranty. It got the Rolex card but not the replacement dial and hands. Since Rolex searches the history of the watch they somewhat guarantee authenticity. But as some have noted, papers are the most easily counterfeited part of the Rolex package.
Update. Sent my watch to Rik Dietel at Time Care Inc. Thanks for the suggestion. Talked to him several times over the phone. Seems like a great guy! Very knowledgeable. It is an interesting and sad state of affairs at Rolex these days it seems! Especially for vintage watches.