SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
If a Rolex is the BMW of watches, then a TAG is the Audi
Disagree. Rolex and Tag are both luxury time pieces, but not in the same league.

I agree, more like Infiniti/Lexus, not Audi.

Especially since Audi is on the up and up (while, especially with this new F3X series isn't leagues above Audi anymore ... In some cases, like the RS5, and new A/S8, Audi > BMW)
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #90
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

A lot of nice watches on here. I'm still trying to learn about Rolexes. Can someone tell me what a ceramic Sub is? When did they start making these and what was it before? Also, what is an M series Sub?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #91
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

The letter designation refers to the serial numbers. M series is the last model made before Rolex changed the watch designs a bit, going to ceramic bezels (more scratch resistant) and slightly wider case with wider crown guard on the Submariner.

These changes happened a few years ago, not sure of the exact year but I think 2009.

IMO the non-ceramic later model Subs like the Z and M series are great investments. They can be had for around 5K in mint used condition, and you'll always be able to get your money back, and probably more over time.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #92
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

I never consider TAG as a luxury watch. Or even in the same sentence as rolex. Like saying Audemar = Omega nawwww meannnnn
      07-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #93
sparc
plug
Rep
Drives: e46

Very nice Rolex all.

Here is a pic of my two watches.

I had the watch w/blue face serviced a few years ago and it was pricey at $400-$600. The watch came back looking brand new and they fixed an issue, so it works properly again.

I rarely ever wear the jubilee one, way too much bling for me.

Rolex by kiu101, on Flickr
      07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #94
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
I never consider TAG as a luxury watch. Or even in the same sentence as rolex. Like saying Audemar = Omega nawwww meannnnn
Agreed. Not even close.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #95
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I wouldn't really think of Rolex as a luxury watch either, at least outside of the Cellini line. The regular line of Daytonas, GMT's, Datejusts, Seamasters and Subs are all sports watches, even with a million diamonds glued to them and made out of soft metals.

JLC would be the big volume leader of what I'd call a luxury watch maker, and of course PP and VC would be the style leaders in luxury watches.

I'm not basing this on price though, as Richard Mille, while comically expensive is something I'd still consider much more of a sports watch than a luxury watch.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #96
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I wouldn't really think of Rolex as a luxury watch either, at least outside of the Cellini line. The regular line of Daytonas, GMT's, Datejusts, Seamasters and Subs are all sports watches, even with a million diamonds glued to them and made out of soft metals.

JLC would be the big volume leader of what I'd call a luxury watch maker, and of course PP and VC would be the style leaders in luxury watches.

I'm not basing this on price though, as Richard Mille, while comically expensive is something I'd still consider much more of a sports watch than a luxury watch.
Agreed.

I was referring to luxury as in brand/prestige.

BMW is a luxury brand, but my car is more of a sport model compared to something like a 5 or 7 series sedan (which would be luxury)
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #97
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Fair point. As long as we're pigeon holing things, than yeah, I see Rolex and BMW about the same. There are a lot of more expensive, more unique things above them, and a lot of more utilitarian things below them, but both strike a pretty good balance of value and performance. All this and I've sold both my BMW and Rolex in the last few years.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #98
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparc View Post
Very nice Rolex all.

Here is a pic of my two watches.

I had the watch w/blue face serviced a few years ago and it was pricey at $400-$600. The watch came back looking brand new and they fixed an issue, so it works properly again.

I rarely ever wear the jubilee one, way too much bling for me.

Rolex by kiu101, on Flickr
I have the same one as you on the right. Its on my instagram. I had to get a link taken out and make it tighter on me.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #99
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Mine. I had a diamond band added to it when I received it as a gift.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #100
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

I'd still consider Rolex as a luxury brand. IMO they are the baseline or bottom of the true luxury brands. There's lots below Rolex like Tag, and lots above as well. They make their own movements, which IMO is one thing that puts a brand into the "luxury" realm.
"Sports" watches, just about every brand makes them, so I wouldn't rate a brand as luxury or not because many of their models are sports models. JLC makes their Master Compressor models, IWC has the Aquatimers, Patek makes their Nautilus, Vacheron makes the Overseas, Hublot the Big bang, Audemars the Royal Oak, etc.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #101
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Quote:

What world do you live in where $5,000 watches are not luxury?
Any homes for sale in this world you live in? It sounds wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #102
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ
Quote:

What world do you live in where $5,000 watches are not luxury?
Any homes for sale in this world you live in? It sounds wonderful.
Like I said, it's not about price. RM's are six figures, but still more of a sports watch.

Rolexes aren't dressy to me. Wearing one with a suit is fine, but if I'm really dressing up something with less lume, no bezel and finer details makes more sense.

I do agree that Rolex is the starting point for quality watches though, the kind that hold their value or better, have in house movements and are sought after by collectors. PAM is a very similar brand to me for those same reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #103
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Luxury is probably the wrong term to use here. "Dressy" is a better term. "Dressy" vs "Sporty"

Or maybe "formal" vs "sporty/casual"
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #104
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

you don't need to buy the most expensive watch you can afford. $10k on a watch is the first call, and that pretty much only gets you started with rolex.

luxury, classy, dressy... i don't know. rolex = money
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #105
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

My Rolex Submariner is my "sporty" daily wearer, and my Panerai PAM 0072 is my dressy formal wearer.

Both IMO are luxury watches without question. The PAM 0072 uses the Zenith El Primero movement which is the same movement Rolex uses in their Daytona models.

Both companies make their own movements, and also use other luxury brand movements in certain models.

Many companies recently began making their own in-house movements. My jeweler told me the due to new "Swiss" regulations, that to still be considered "Swiss Made" companies needed to sell a certain amount or number of models with in-house designed movements, which actually bumps a few brands that were down in the Tag zone, up into the official luxury zone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #106
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

was looking at versace watches last night but didn't do it. imo pretty nice for the $1500-2000 range, also "swiss made". and 1500 for a watch sounds a lot better than 600 for a t-shirt!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #107
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
My Rolex Submariner is my "sporty" daily wearer, and my Panerai PAM 0072 is my dressy formal wearer.

Both IMO are luxury watches without question. The PAM 0072 uses the Zenith El Primero movement which is the same movement Rolex uses in their Daytona models.

Both companies make their own movements, and also use other luxury brand movements in certain models.

Many companies recently began making their own in-house movements. My jeweler told me the due to new "Swiss" regulations, that to still be considered "Swiss Made" companies needed to sell a certain amount or number of models with in-house designed movements, which actually bumps a few brands that were down in the Tag zone, up into the official luxury zone.
Rolex hasn't used the Zenith El Primero movement in the Daytona since 2000. As far as I know every Rolex has an in house movement now, not sure on Panerai but they were using ETAs recently. I know there's a big push back on certain "in house" Panerai movements due to them being very poorly put together (ie: http://www.watchfreeks.com/66-panera...t-scandal.html)

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #108
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

There's a difference between "in-house" movements and movements that are spruced up ETA or Valjoux based movements.

Panerai and many other brands costing much more often use standard ETA and Valjoux movements, as well as also using in-house designed movements on other models. Usually they are decorated, and modified, and renamed "caliber xxx". These are still great Swiss movements.

When I refer to "in house" movements, I mean original in-house designed movements, not modified ETA or Valjoux movements. Companies like JLC, Vacheron, Patek, Rolex, Zenith, Breguet, etc.

The model Panerai you linked to is well known, a number of watches went out without the movements being decorated and modified, and the company changed out those movements to anyone that wanted it, and actually now those that were NOT changed out are more sought after. In any case, that movement was NOT in-house IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #109
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post

Nice watches but with all due respect they both look pretty similar to me. I don't see enough of a distinction (visually) to call one "sporty" and another "formal/dressy." They both look pretty sporty, if anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #110
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

How about this? An F458 is sporty, but not overtly luxurious. It's also pretty stinking expensive.

A Hyundai Equus is luxurious, but not overtly sporty. It's not terribly expensive.

If cost alone dictated what was luxurious, an F1 car or LeMans racer would be luxurious, even though most folks that could afford one wouldn't even be able to get into it, much less survive a few bumps.

This continues to be a silly, non substantiated argument, so feel free to make fun of any or all parts of it.
Appreciate 0