11-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

NSX and i8

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Tough to get a size comparison on the iPhone, NSX is smaller. Here they are side by side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Maanpur25.00
Tewie195.50
      11-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
Tough to get a size comparison on the iPhone, NSX is smaller. Here they are side by side.
Very cool,

I8 is longer and slightly taller. NSX wider and lower.
      11-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
vance
Private First Class
Rep

I like both of your cars especially since I see you're also a laserlight owner, but I have one question for you and please don't take it the wrong way. You purchased the NSX after you had the i8, and I assume the NSX is your "weekend" car per se, so my question is for that price point that the NSX is at (even after recent discounts), why not splurge for a Lamborghini Huracan or McLaren 570s? Both of which are quicker, look better (in my opinion, obviously), sound MUCH better than the NSX V6, and aren't that much more expensive. I assume you could afford any of them given your car collection, so I'm just curious on your logic?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Understandable question. Few points.

1. I've driven all these cars so it was an informed choice
2. Looks are subjective but I've seen all these cars side by side at last years Vintage Grand Prix and the NSX was hands down the best looking to me
3. Feel of the NSX is that it pulls as hard as Huracan or 570S (especially better throttle response than 570) at any logical road speed. 11 flat at 127 in the 1/4 mile is what a fellow owner has done. For $6k you can take the NSX to fab speed and through a new exhaust etc. get 70 more hp.
4. Doesn't sound as good as Huracan obviously but as good as 570S for sure
5. The ride quality is INCREDIBLE. Far better than 570S or Huracan. I keep the car in Pittsburgh where the roads suck. I have a 458 out in Scottsdale where it's easier to have a more harsh riding car.
6. Finally price, I got $60k off. $80k less than a comparable 570S or Huracan. That's a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
vance
Private First Class
Rep

Good points all around but I do have to address a few of the things you mentioned:

1. Ride quality: being that your i8 (or whatever else you might have for a DD) is your daily driver, I would assume that ride quality would be second to performance/looks/emotion.
2. Engine/exhaust sound: I know McLaren's don't sound as good as a V10 being that they're all TT'd V8's, but I'm surprised you think that the NSX V6 sounds as good as a McLaren V8 when it's a pretty general consensus that the NSX sounds extraordinarily bad, worse than a GTR V6.
3. NSX Interior: Do you feel that the NSX interior is up to par with the newer McLaren or Huracan interiors and infotainment systems? It looks and feels like a Honda Civic one if I'm not mistaken? Granted, the i8 interior isn't much better, but the NSX is a higher price point.
4. I'm very surprised you think that the NSX looks the best of these 3 cars in question. Many people feel that because a female designed the NSX, it looks too feminine and not aggressive enough. You truly think it looks better than a Huracan in design, lighting, aeros?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I'll answer your questions one at a time:

1. Ride quality matters to me in any car. If I'm bouncing around uncomfortable I won't be able to enjoy the performance.
2. Huracan sounds unreal. I have a Camaro ZL1 in Pittsburgh that sounds very good if I'm in the mood to hear a V8 scream. Neither McLaren or NSX sounds great but to be honest neither are horrible. They're comparable.
3. Interior of NSX doesn't deserve it's bad rap. Yes it isn't specially but interior of Huracan isn't great either. McLaren interior is best of three.
4. Looks are subjective. I'd say look at them all side by side and make a choice. But your choice could be to be totally different than mine and I'd be fine with that. For me, I made the choice I made being able to afford any of them.
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
eliucp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw i8, range rover sport atb

so how much did you end up spending on the nsx? 60k off.. isn't it the same price point as the i8 at that rate? was it brand new?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #8
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliucp View Post
so how much did you end up spending on the nsx? 60k off.. isn't it the same price point as the i8 at that rate? was it brand new?
$144k including fees and taxes which is about $60k less than it would have been at full MSRP. My payment for the financed portion is $350 more a month than the i8 (which is a lease).
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2017, 11:12 PM   #9
Emon Crew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' crystal white i8

Great car, congrats on having a sick stable. Also, kudos to you for the level-headed responses to all the questions being asked here lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #10
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emon Crew View Post
Great car, congrats on having a sick stable. Also, kudos to you for the level-headed responses to all the questions being asked here lol.
Of course. No reason for hostility over cars of all things.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
Good points all around but I do have to address a few of the things you mentioned:

1. Ride quality: being that your i8 (or whatever else you might have for a DD) is your daily driver, I would assume that ride quality would be second to performance/looks/emotion.
2. Engine/exhaust sound: I know McLaren's don't sound as good as a V10 being that they're all TT'd V8's, but I'm surprised you think that the NSX V6 sounds as good as a McLaren V8 when it's a pretty general consensus that the NSX sounds extraordinarily bad, worse than a GTR V6.
3. NSX Interior: Do you feel that the NSX interior is up to par with the newer McLaren or Huracan interiors and infotainment systems? It looks and feels like a Honda Civic one if I'm not mistaken? Granted, the i8 interior isn't much better, but the NSX is a higher price point.
4. I'm very surprised you think that the NSX looks the best of these 3 cars in question. Many people feel that because a female designed the NSX, it looks too feminine and not aggressive enough. You truly think it looks better than a Huracan in design, lighting, aeros?
These are all subjective judgments. What is appealing to one person is abhorent to another. These are all great cars.

BTW...I live in North Scottsdale so I look forward to seeing your cars around (I never go to the BMW North Scottsdale cars and coffee meetings because I am always playing golf on Saturday mornings). Which ones do you keep in Scottsdale?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #12
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

60k off huh, I'm off shopping
      11-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #13
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post

These are all subjective judgments. What is appealing to one person is abhorent to another. These are all great cars.

BTW...I live in North Scottsdale so I look forward to seeing your cars around (I never go to the BMW North Scottsdale cars and coffee meetings because I am always playing golf on Saturday mornings). Which ones do you keep in Scottsdale?
My Ferrari is in AZ. My house is in PV technically, but Arcadia/PV are Scottsdale to me (I'm not from there).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #14
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R8

Go drive an nsx. I have driven them all and th nsx is a beast

People who criticize the nsx most likely have not had seat time.

I liked the i8, but no comparison. Went to cars and coffee and people go bonkers over this car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Still good to keep the i8 around as a winter beater car though
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #16
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep

I leased mine so will drive year round, unless it snows. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. My first Japanese car in years. Love the view out the front, the a pillars almost disappear.

I8 does ride better for every day driving
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #17
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I'll say that NSX rides far better than my 458 and is surely just as quick (in track mode). I actually think NSX is better looking (many may disagree but I obviously have seen both in flesh) but 458 is more exciting. That Ferrari sound when you're on it is so intoxicating.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #18
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep

Love the look of the nsx
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #19
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

What were your impressions of NSX vs 570s again? I know you drove both.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #20
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I‘m sure the NSX is an amazing car. But to be honest, the looks just don’t do it for me, especially the rear. The tail lights looks a little too run-off-the-mill; in fact, they look like knock-offs of the current 911 lights. And I’ve never been a fan of that mesh stuff covering large openings in the body. Reminds me of souped-up Golf GTIs and Subarus.

The Japanese make some great cars these days. But they end up throwing too many clichés at the design - as if they were building a cartoon character.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #21
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
I‘m sure the NSX is an amazing car. But to be honest, the looks just don’t do it for me, especially the rear. The tail lights looks a little too run-off-the-mill; in fact, they look like knock-offs of the current 911 lights. And I’ve never been a fan of that mesh stuff covering large openings in the body. Reminds me of souped-up Golf GTIs and Subarus.

The Japanese make some great cars these days. But they end up throwing too many clichés at the design - as if they were building a cartoon character.
I tend to agree. The side view reminds me of. Suped up Mitsubishi Eclipse.

It's all subjective of course- but it just doesn't do it for me either (looks wise)
      12-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #22
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep

Looks are subjective. I did not love the i8 design, I thought it was way too busy especially the rear end. I think i8 looks more Japanese then the nsx.

I loved the 570, more I drove the nsx more I liked it. 570 does have some turbo lag.
I still think the 570 shifts a bit faster and I did like the steering better on the 570. They are both very close. Interior wise the 570 is a bit nicer, but the nsx is interior is not as bad as people make it out to be. I do think the nsx has the most comfortable seats between r8, i8, 570 and the view out of the nsx is really good.

If the nsx had a German badge on it I think it would have been different. Debadge all these cars and it would be so close, comes down to personal preference in the end. All great cars.

If it’s pure performance I guess the Porsche turbo s would take the cake, but just don’t like the looks. Too me look of the car first. If you don’t like that the rest does not matter.

I have to say the paint on my blue nsx is amazing, best paint job of any car.
Appreciate 0