Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
iX M60 range vs xDrive 50

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I know there aren't real world comparisons available yet, just speculating. Supposedly the M60 will have 280 miles EPA range and the 50 has 320ish.

What are the odds that it really takes that big of a hit if they're both driven the same? Is the motor on the M60 actually larger and heavier or is it just configured to allow more current, or maybe geared differently?

If it's a bigger motor then the extra weight and losses would definitely make the range noticeably different. However I could also see a scenario where it just uses more energy when driven aggressively, and otherwise it's basically the same car hardware wise.

The 50 is already pretty impressive power wise, personally I think a car under 5 seconds to 60mph is ideal - enough power to be fun and useful for passing, etc. When you go under 4 seconds, especially on something your never track, it's mostly bragging rights, I'm not going to be drag racing everyone I see, or doing a "cars and coffee 360°" trying to peel out of a parking lot I would however make frequent use of the range, even if it's just to not have to charge completely or as frequently.

So while I'm inclined to wait for the M60 for the styling cues and extra power, I'm not sure it's worth it to lose 40-50 miles of range, if it's true. I guess I'm getting to that stage of life where practicality wins out *shrug*.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 08:10 PM   #2
BeastBmW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I know there aren't real world comparisons available yet, just speculating. Supposedly the M60 will have 280 miles EPA range and the 50 has 320ish.

What are the odds that it really takes that big of a hit if they're both driven the same? Is the motor on the M60 actually larger and heavier or is it just configured to allow more current, or maybe geared differently?

If it's a bigger motor then the extra weight and losses would definitely make the range noticeably different. However I could also see a scenario where it just uses more energy when driven aggressively, and otherwise it's basically the same car hardware wise.

The 50 is already pretty impressive power wise, personally I think a car under 5 seconds to 60mph is ideal - enough power to be fun and useful for passing, etc. When you go under 4 seconds, especially on something your never track, it's mostly bragging rights, I'm not going to be drag racing everyone I see, or doing a "cars and coffee 360°" trying to peel out of a parking lot I would however make frequent use of the range, even if it's just to not have to charge completely or as frequently.

So while I'm inclined to wait for the M60 for the styling cues and extra power, I'm not sure it's worth it to lose 40-50 miles of range, if it's true. I guess I'm getting to that stage of life where practicality wins out *shrug*.
Bro these is fire both cars are great!! Can't even imagine 2 are different machines you won't want to play with..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 08:11 PM   #3
BeastBmW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post

That's a mad combo bro !! Both cars are great!!!! Can't even imagine!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Just looking at some similar cars to compare. Model Y loses ~27 EPA miles going from their standard LR to their Performance version. The performance jump is similar to the 50 vs the M60.

It seems in Tesla's case most people think this is actually due to going from the 19" wheels to 21", and heavier brakes rather than any power train change. Someone did a test where they claimed to lose 22 miles of range by going from the standard 19" to 20" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 10:20 AM   #5
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

I've been considering the same thing. I have an order for a 50xDrive but thinking about going M60 for purely vain reasons: the cachet of having the M badging and model distinction. I don't really need or even want the extra acceleration performance since the 50 is plenty fast enough for my city daily driving purposes. I have an M5 Comp and it's actually a damn shame how rarely I ever have the chance to use that kind of power and performance. If anything I often have regrets of not having chosen an M550 instead for its softer suspension and better ride compliance (roads in Chicago are rough). Which leads me to think that the iX M60 might have a similar difference in ride quality to the 50xDrive model. Despite having air suspension, a lot of the info online about the M60 suggest that the air suspension is tuned for firmer and sportier ride. I love M badges and M styling cues and all, but these days my butt likes a softer plusher ride even more haha.

It seems I've reached a point in my life when I no longer mind trading away extreme acceleration performance for a slightly softer ride. Color me old

Hopefully, I'll have a chance to actually get a ride in an iX M60 from a local early-adopter before I have to commit on which model to get.
      02-07-2022, 11:54 AM   #6
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
I have an order for a 50xDrive but thinking about going M60 for purely vain reasons: the cachet of having the M badging and model distinction.
This is NOT an M car. In fact, my M850i or previous M550i are not M cars either. If they were, the VIN would start with WBS like the M5 or M8 and not WBA like the 540i or 840i. If you think the they are M's then getting a M badge is a cheap way to get that cachet for those who don't know the difference. The M60i will be what used to be called the M Sport which is mostly a uprated base car with a slightly more aggressive tune but it's not in anyway a detuned M car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 12:10 PM   #7
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
This is NOT an M car. In fact, my M850i or previous M550i are not M cars either. If they were, the VIN would start with WBS like the M5 or M8 and not WBA like the 540i or 840i. If you think the they are M's then getting a M badge is a cheap way to get that cachet for those who don't know the difference. The M60i will be what used to be called the M Sport which is mostly a uprated base car with a slightly more aggressive tune but it's not in anyway a detuned M car.
Spare me the lecture on what makes a BMW model an M car. I never said the M60 was a "real" M car and I don't believe this is even a discussion about what makes a real M car and whether EVs can ever qualify as real M cars, because there's certainly an overabundance of threads on these forums beating a dead horse about such tired topics. All I said was that I wanted the M badges and model distinction that M60 gives you over the regular xDrive50 model for purely vain reasons, and whether this was worth it to me to sacrifice some range and ride quality over.

Sure I can order M badges and slap them on an xDrive50, but out of principle, I won't because I don't do badge engineering. It's against my religion . I'd sooner just get the M60 for the stinkin' badges if I could somehow justify the trade-offs in doing so.
      02-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
BMW 2022 M5, 0 - 60 in 2.9s, TS 189 mph. 2022 iX M60 0 - 60 in 3.6s, TS 155 mph. If that's what makes an "M." My personal opinion is that manufacturers uses the name/designation of their cars to distinguish what the car actually is, so that you can, you know, understand what car you are talking/reading about in a conversation. So you don't confuse, for instance, an Audi R8 with a Ford Mustang, instead of just referencing "the car." Numbers, letters, and names help. BMW has designated their fastest new all-electric SAV as the "iX M60." It has an "M" in the name. If by that, in conversation, you mean an "M" car, it is. If you mean "is it a gasoline-powered high performance specially tuned car from a separate division in BMW's product line," it isn't. But the name will tell you that, without involving religion.

Last edited by Paladin1; 02-07-2022 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 06:07 PM   #9
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
I've been considering the same thing. I have an order for a 50xDrive but thinking about going M60 for purely vain reasons: the cachet of having the M badging and model distinction. .... I love M badges and M styling cues and all, but these days my butt likes a softer plusher ride even more haha.
Quote:
Spare me the lecture on what makes a BMW model an M car. ...

Sure I can order M badges and slap them on an xDrive50, but out of principle, I won't because I don't do badge engineering.
Well, since you have an M5 Comp I guess you know. I was keying in on your comment about wanting "the cachet of having the M badging and model distinction." Not kicking dust in your face just commenting on your own statement about why you wanted the M60.
Appreciate 0