BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-28-2018, 03:07 AM   #1
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

Talking First Nürburgring trip impressions and wierd problem

So I managed to get to the "ring" to try out my (3months) 2014 i8 on there.

A few preconditions:
The car is bog standart.
The tyres are 2 and 3 years old oe s001's in 215 and 245's. Quite hard as the car was standing in a garage for atleast a year.

Impressions on the 800km trip there. Awesome cruiser, with lots of GO in sports mode, easily keeping up with the fastest of traffic on the derestricted autobahn. Still a bit annoyed its limited to 255km/h as 270-280 is possible I think. A dream would allso be ability to run in comfort setting on dampers with sports mode for the drivetrain as it gets a little hard after an hour or so.

Round trip including lapping was 9,7km/l wich is MUCH better than my previous 991 and e92m3 both posting 7km/l. Wildly better than my C63AMG of 4,5km/l.
Tank size is not really a problem, but running it flat had me pulling the emergency release for the filler every single time. Works fine in normal usage. My depressure sw may be faulty, waiting for it to be covered by warranty here in eu too.

So to the lapping on the track: Conditions was not ideal, lots of traffic and lots of accidents and many laps with partially wet track. But we did get some clean-ish laps in.

Best time was around 8:43.
Performance: The battery charged with sportmode never went above 80% (didn't bring cable). That is enough for 1 lap with some provisions.
1: If you go for a laptime and go nuts all the time, it last only 75% of the lap.
Maby a cable charged (100%) lap would be 10sec faster.
2: I never floored it from pits to bridge as that consumes 10% of the battery wich is much more fun to have in the twisties. so deduct 10 sec of the laptime for that.
3: the tyres was keeping up surprisingly well, but a set of Rcompound would definitely cut 20secons and Pilot sports would prbbly get 10sec.

So I guess a Rcompound lap with charged battery and full out attitude should see around 8:15 or thereabouts.
For ref I drive 8:10 in a 991 3,4 and 8:15 in e92 m3 both stock in pilot sport. and 7:45ish in a Lambo superleggera with R.

The actual driving experience. Was overwhelmingly positive. I was expecting Squidgy GT with fady brakes and lots of flopping about, possibly drivetrain giving up or running too hot, battery overheating and stuff but nothing, it just ran perfect.

The chassis is super stiff, so it responds fantasticly to the little adjustments needed for the ring. It is Quite wide, so line has to be adjusted to avoid the curbs. The dampers does an awesome job of keeping the car level and never flops or rolls excessivly, and easily copes with flying over the nessesary curbs without upsetting the balance. Best i ever had bar the lambo.
Seats are supportive enough and steering accurate but lifeless.
Surprisingly the brakes held up, with lots of cooling after every 2 laps (stock pads). And they stop the car just fine even flat out.

Now the fun bit. Flooring the throttle midcorner brings in the Emotor and pulls the car out 4wd style with aplomb and quite a lot of surprised faces from 911 and m3 drivers, cornerspeed was great expecially exit, easily besting the multitude of e90 m3's, usually just outside max powerband due to the peaky nature of that engine.

I really wish I could have the emotor on a button instead of coupled with the engine, as it allso runs on the full acelleration to the next corner. Had it not done that I think 2-3 laps are possible on a 80% charge.

On that charging up the 70-80% takes only 10-15km so a cooldown run after a lap returns 5km and fuelstop to the far tank full 80%.

In the carpark it was quite hillarious to get more attention than various GT3 and ferraris as they're everywhere

We did about 50% of the laps with only 5km or 0km on the battery and that does blunt performance from 911 style to GTI style. Handling is still great and the car is still fun, but once you try it full power, its a bit like putting on a condom.
It allso got me somewhat worried about chipping the car, as the engine runs most of the lap at full chat. And being confined in that box it was VERY hot after each run. Bit worried that a chipped engine would overheat after 3-4 laps and blow. Anyone tried torturing a chipped engine?

So what is the wierd problem. Well the trip did leave some rumbly tyres (sorted by the 800 km motorway on the way back). But the brakes still had some pad deposits on them.
Normally I wear away my pad deposits after a week or so of comuting, but this car never uses the brakes? how the hell is that ever going away? I guess I could make one big stop every day to clean them. But I'll prbbly forget.. answers on a postcard please.

Hope you enjoyd my babbling.
Attached Images

Last edited by zorgzx; 08-28-2018 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

I can confirm the most of your impressions.
Even if the i8 is not really made for race tracks you still can have a lot of fun with it.

Performance will increase significantly on 245 / 285 tires.

I have been in contact with some engine tuners in Europe. But all of them are just playing around with the software and coming to an engine lifetime problem.
My conclusion:
If you want to drive it more than 40-50.000 kms with the same engine - do not chip it.

I also could not find any tuners offering special engine hardware e. g. other turbo chargers.
(Imagine ALPINA would develop a 4-cylinder engine for the i8... )
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Great post. Was looming at one as a track and street car.

So i agree 100% that it's annoying BMW doesn't have a button to deploy the electric power like an LMP1 style system.

my understanding from messing around with simulators is that bmw has set up the car so the low rpms use mostly the e motor and as you increase in RPMs the ICE will take over duty providing power mostly through the rears.

The way I see it this would require and upshift or no shift exiting the turn so the RPMs remain low and the electric motors torque is activated during the turn and the torque then transfers backward with the weight as you straighten and increase throttle to help you gain the LMP1 style cornering craziness.

Was this your approach or did you more or less drive it like you would an ICE car at the top of the rev range?

It seems the power battery can only go 8 mins at max performance? Do you feel this is a N'ring specific trait or could you expect to run out of battery 8 mins through a course such as Road America?

Can you play with sport / comfort mode to cancel the battery use on a long straight for example where the power is more useful?

Do you recommend an i8 or M3 or rate them similar? I track a few times a year and would likely throw some R compound in the back seats but drive to the track like you.

Obviously i wouldn't want to show up in a $140k car and get chuckled at by the guys if the car goes into mini cooper mode half way through the event when a $35k Z06 would have performed way better.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Even if the i8 is not really made for race tracks you still can have a lot of fun with it.

I have been in contact with some engine tuners in Europe. But all of them are just playing around with the software and coming to an engine lifetime problem.
My conclusion:
If you want to drive it more than 40-50.000 kms with the same engine - do not chip it.

I also could not find any tuners offering special engine hardware e. g. other turbo chargers.
Yes the i8 is already running on a max'd out mini cooper engine. Pushing it any more is a little crazy.

I doubt any aftermarket parts ever emerge for the car. There aren't that many and most owners bought it for style not performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Great post. Was looming at one as a track and street car.

So i agree 100% that it's annoying BMW doesn't have a button to deploy the electric power like an LMP1 style system.

my understanding from messing around with simulators is that bmw has set up the car so the low rpms use mostly the e motor and as you increase in RPMs the ICE will take over duty providing power mostly through the rears.

The way I see it this would require and upshift or no shift exiting the turn so the RPMs remain low and the electric motors torque is activated during the turn and the torque then transfers backward with the weight as you straighten and increase throttle to help you gain the LMP1 style cornering craziness.

Was this your approach or did you more or less drive it like you would an ICE car at the top of the rev range?

It seems the power battery can only go 8 mins at max performance? Do you feel this is a N'ring specific trait or could you expect to run out of battery 8 mins through a course such as Road America?

Can you play with sport / comfort mode to cancel the battery use on a long straight for example where the power is more useful?

Do you recommend an i8 or M3 or rate them similar? I track a few times a year and would likely throw some R compound in the back seats but drive to the track like you.

Obviously i wouldn't want to show up in a $140k car and get chuckled at by the guys if the car goes into mini cooper mode half way through the event when a $35k Z06 would have performed way better.
I wouldn't reccomend swapping sport and comfortmode on the go, if youre going flat out the behavior changes and the gear mappings. Recipy for a trip to the armco.

I did drive it like a normal ICE car, but in sport the last bit of the throttle travel gives more EV power wich is great fun for the corners and give nice Zing out to the next. Only the power is limited once the battery drains.

I guess a slower track would deplete the battery slower, the ring is quite long with many highspeed sections so boost is running allmost all the time. I'm sure you'd get 20km tracking in or 2-3laps.

You cant swap modes as the dsc disable goes away when you select comfort i think, and you really shouldnt run any car with the DSC on, kills the brakes. and in the i8 it allso massages for stability, giving understeer at the limit.

I'd say the i8 handles far better than a M3. Allthou if you like oversteer antics, the m3 is much more fun.

And theres no way your fitting wheels into the car.
Just drive there on them.
The car is light enough to be fun on a track even with battery out. Think GTI fast.

BUT to your last stament.
A Z06 will perform much much better. so will an m3. If youre worried about getting lapped by your friends.

Its a great road car, and fantastic daily driver, but it is NOT a track regular. for the same money get a GT3 or Z06 for track duties.

I just took it to the ring for fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

First Nürburgring trip impressions and wierd problem

This is a nice write up and different from the usual quibbles on this site....cough cough.

I do own both .... M3 and i8 and would fully agree with what you say. The i8 is surprisingly capable and faster than anticipated but you have to manage the battery accordingly based on the track layout. If you can fully recharge to 💯 percent between runs and the track allows for good turns the speed you can build mid corner is intoxicating, as well as the off the line pull from standstill.

Fun car indeed once you learn how to manage the battery power. I wouldn't consider it an all out track car for sure though.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Interesting reports. Not sure I can resist the i8 even if it falls just short on the track. Surely it will be an upgrade over the 135i I currently drive.

Have you experimented with the bicycle tires on the front to get something not designed for mpg
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:12 AM   #8
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post

My conclusion:

Could you share what tuners makes what and have what problems. I live in europe and are even thinking about getting the engine blueprinted/look into replacement cost.

The turbocharger is prbbly allready quite large, and as its integrated with the exhaust manifold, that has to be built too if fitting a larger turbo.

A alpina 4.. no not really I really like the offbeat pulse of the 3. I postively hate the washing machine sound of 4pots. But I guess the sound system can fix that.

Now that you got me thinking....
Unfortunately all 1.6 engines have less power output. We need atleast a 2.0 engine. I'm sure It won't fit. But if it does BMW has no more powerfull engine in the 2.0 4 segment DOOH. We need a Cupra or Mercedes 4pot.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:19 AM   #9
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Interesting reports. Not sure I can resist the i8 even if it falls just short on the track. Surely it will be an upgrade over the 135i I currently drive.

Have you experimented with the bicycle tires on the front to get something not designed for mpg
The 135i is an awesome piece of kit for very little money. Its very fast and very tunable and has decent handling. Only brakes suspension and looks let it down. Though the Coupe is decent.

The i8 is a BIG upgrade in luxury and handling. Performance wise not so much.
These twin turbo'd 6'es bmw slot in pretty much everything is a powerfull device indeed.

With the Emotor charged (ie in ALL everyday situations, just select sport) its usefully faster and much more fun. And the whole hybrid thing is great if you like that sort of tech nerdery.

I DID order new pilot sport 4s in 245 all round, but I ordered 17"'s so..
But the understeer is actually not that bad if you disable the DSC.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post
Quote:

The 135i is an awesome piece of kit for very little money. Its very fast and very tunable and has decent handling. Only brakes suspension and looks let it down. Though the Coupe is decent.

The i8 is a BIG upgrade in luxury and handling. Performance wise not so much.
These twin turbo'd 6'es bmw slot in pretty much everything is a powerfull device indeed.

With the Emotor charged (ie in ALL everyday situations, just select sport) its usefully faster and much more fun. And the whole hybrid thing is great if you like that sort of tech nerdery.

I DID order new pilot sport 4s in 245 all round, but I ordered 17"'s so..
But the understeer is actually not that bad if you disable the DSC.
The 135i actually does understeer a bit. The suspension is good for daily driving so I can't hate on it too much but yes, it is a barely trackable suspension, but kind of like the pilot SS of suspension, R compound would do much better.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 04:39 AM   #11
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
The 135i actually does understeer a bit. The suspension is good for daily driving so I can't hate on it too much but yes, it is a barely trackable suspension, but kind of like the pilot SS of suspension, R compound would do much better.
I have raced 24h in a 335i (400ps, oilcoolers, m3 front), and I can tell you if you sort the suspension it's an AWESOME engine for track, especially with the DSC for fast laptimes or the manual for full Atmos experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

cool post. Thank you for sharing. I actually contemplated having the i8 chipped here in London, since a guy (present on this forum i think) offers the service in North London. Sure it would be fine for the road but i think that the car is in fact fast enough for the road.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #13
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Ps: how's the shifting in the i8. I realize it has a standard box used in Peugeot's and not a ZF. Is it slow?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #14
rs38
Registered
Rep
Drives: i8

it's a japanese Aisin Warner Transmission. Nothing special or unusual. it's not slow.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
chronon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 996 911 turbo

great post - bring back good memories of driving a rented m4 on the autobahn.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #16
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

I have had my I8 for about 2 months coming out of a V10 tuned R8, I gotta be honest I absolutely love my I8. Around town with the instant torque its way faster than you would expect. It will match a base 911 or a non plus v10 r8 in most driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #17
Marc45
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
I have had my I8 for about 2 months coming out of a V10 tuned R8, I gotta be honest I absolutely love my I8. Around town with the instant torque its way faster than you would expect. It will match a base 911 or a non plus v10 r8 in most driving conditions.
I came from a V10 R8 too. The R8 is awesome, sounds great and drives incredibly well. That said, I find the i8 more fun to drive. Having the electric motor to fill in the torque gaps of the ICE makes it feel faster on a casual drive.

On the other hand, my son doesn’t think it’s a real sports car because it doesn’t wake up the neighbors when I start it like the R8 did.
Appreciate 0