Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

FYI: Don't leave Crap in your OBD2 port!

FYI,

The i8 security system gets very unhappy if you leave some "foreign object" in your OBD2 port. Everything is fine (and works as expected) until you try and lock the car. The alarm will go off a couple of seconds after you lock the car. Found this out the hard way... Fully documented in the iDrive User Manual though...

(I had an "OBD2 Tap" plugged into the port to get power and data for my Valentine1 Radar Detector)
Appreciate 1
jcpca356164.00
      09-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #2
medicj
Rep
Drives: bmw i8

What about OBD connected dashcam? I was considering buying one...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If you look up the alarm info in the digital version of the i8 manual in iDrive, you will see that it specifically mentions that the alarm will be triggered if any "unrecognized device is found connected to the OBD Port".

I'm paraphrasing here since I don't have ready access to the iDrive manual. But that's basically what it says.

I found this after the fact. I ran for a couple of days with the power tap in the OBD port with no issue (it worked fine). I only found this problem when I tried to lock the car (which arms the alarm). I then found that info in the iDrive manual.

Now, I can't be sure what specific devices cause this issue. It may be anything in the OBD port. It may only be "intelligent" devices which actually READ OBD data. (The V1 OBD tap reads current speed to allow the V1 to be silenced if the vehicle speed falls below a user selectable set point).

If I were a "betting man", I might bet on ANYTHING which draws power from the OBD port. Thats something which is easily measured. Detecting something which is watching data might be a bit more complicated. I'ld bet that BMW took the easy path...

In any case, I can't be sure. So let us know if you have an issue!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

In any case, its real easy to put a micro-fuse tap in the fuse box to power your camera (unless it too wants to use or record OBD data).

There are actually a couple of empty micro-fuse slots in the fuse box. Its located right under the glove box (2 screws and a plastic thumb screw). If memory serves, I used fuse slot #51.

Tucking your power cable into the headliner and under the trim on the A-pillar is trivial. Then under the rubber door seal and down to the trim right next to the glove box. Literally 5 minutes to run the cable and its completely hidden. ...and you don't need to pop any trim (just tuck).
Appreciate 0