BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

12-02-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
demlotcrew
Rep
Drives: i3 BEV

Adaptive LED retrofit

Had some great success last night,

Adaptive LED's coded and working, just a few small wiring tasks and fitment, easy peasy.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by demlotcrew View Post

Adaptive LED's coded and working, just a few small wiring tasks and fitment, easy peasy.
What do adaptive LEDs do to an i3's ?

I know F80 guys love euro LED, but since you are in the UK, you should already get the full benefit of that. So what's new?

a
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:

What do adaptive LEDs do to an i3's ?

I know F80 guys love euro LED, but since you are in the UK, you should already get the full benefit of that. So what's new?

a
In the uk the car does not come with LED standard. Their halogen. USA gets them as standard so he just put in the OEM led's.

All US spec cars come with adaptive led's.

All they do is go up and down not side to side. So when the car is heavy loaded they "adapt" and level out so not to blind anybody.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
demlotcrew
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
In the uk the car does not come with LED standard. Their halogen. USA gets them as standard so he just put in the OEM led's.

All they do is go up and down not side to side. So when the car is heavy loaded they "adapt" and level out so not to blind anybody.
In the UK the Adaptive LED lights not only move up and down, but also left right, wide and narrow beam (speed dependant) and also LHD and RHD auto switching. Theres also the gorgeous most advanced optics
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
demlotcrew
Rep

i3 Adaptive LED were the first cars to use FLE modules, incredibly advanced controller which means the LED headlights are incredibly difficult to fit as the wiring is completely different.

Notice the swivel module #3, sounds like the US cars yet again got a cheaper alternative.

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
demlotcrew
Rep

Gorgeous.

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demlotcrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

In the UK the Adaptive LED lights not only move up and down, but also left right, wide and narrow beam (speed dependant) and also LHD and RHD auto switching. Theres also the gorgeous most advanced optics
Yea we never get the good stuff lol!!!!

Hmmmm makes me wonder if I could buy a set and code and retrofit my USA version to have the full functionality as the euro version.
Hmmmmmmm

How much did they cost ? I know with the currency rate between pound and dollar sucks! The headlight will easily probably cost double.

But then another part of me wonders if the i3 will come out with laser light. Lol. Dreaming their but it be nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
demlotcrew
Rep

So spent some time yesterday fitting the lamps, coding and alignment.

Loving the very much lacking option
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
Quote:
Are you sure they move left and right?

I've never noticed any movement other than the usual leveling you get when you switch them on (like Xenons) could you explain more

I think its great that you have taken on this project did you get stung on buying them ?

I really was hoping they would be like the visibility package I had on a 330d which turned the lights with steering and controlled each light separately pointing them away from oncoming or traffic you were following. Their antics certainly kept me entertained on long journeys !
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i3_rex
Quote:
Are you sure they move left and right?

I've never noticed any movement other than the usual leveling you get when you switch them on (like Xenons) could you explain more

I think its great that you have taken on this project did you get stung on buying them ?

I really was hoping they would be like the visibility package I had on a 330d which turned the lights with steering and controlled each light separately pointing them away from oncoming or traffic you were following. Their antics certainly kept me entertained on long journeys !
Yea it was my impression that the LED lights just went up and down at least that's what they do now. My Mini Countryman has the left and right steering wheel input. Not sure why BMW would make a third headlight option with all the trimmings and omit them for the us market considering the us market is its biggest market. It's obviously not illegal or anything. As my 135i had it also.

But they have done crazy things in the past. Now only if they introduce laser headlights in the next model! I'd go for that!

Though it's one less thing to break as my countryman has already had a motor go bad and they had to replace the headlight as it was going all Marty Feldman.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
demlotcrew
Rep

BMW have fitted complete engines which are detuned just for the American market! Head lights would not be a difficult task, especially when they are standard fitment.......

Europe has outsold against US, why do you think the US is the largest market?

Lights are very much adaptive, will try and get a video
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW have fitted complete engines which are detuned just for the American market! Head lights would not be a difficult task, especially when they are standard fitment.......

Europe has outsold against US, why do you think the US is the largest market?

Lights are very much adaptive, will try and get a video
Read the numbers sold and most have been in the us. I'll see if I can find the chart again.

I'll have to see about ordering a set then from my importer.
Can anyone else confirm that they move side to side and all the other stuff mentioned from the OP. ?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
ian_i3S_iX
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i3S, iX on order due Nov

Garage List
Hi Demlotcrew

Did you also have to fit the sensors on the suspension control arms to give the system the vehicle pitch input for the self leveling ? That's assuming how it is done these days, it was in the past
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #14
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here was the numbers sold last time I checked. It's showing from every where so even though usa is the biggest number wise Europe has a lot of smaller countries but USA market is a very big chunk of the pie so yea a big part of their market.

Anywho yea let me know if it does all that jazz you speak off. Got LED but only a portion of the teck. The only reason they may have blocked some of the teck would be due to legal reasons. But still doesn't make sense why they omitted the left and right movement. Oh well.

Every company is different, I wish my company would let me design a bunch of different lights for the same model, I get 2 at most. Usually just HIR and LED forward lighting but don't get to use all the cool new teck that technology gives because are legal rules are so outdated.

Hell they had to change the rules to get the LED lights available on the i8 to be able to be sold here ...... Or maybe their was a work around to that rule last time I heard.

Anyway looks good. Visually identical to mine just minus all the inner gizmos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #15
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i3_rex
Hi Demlotcrew

Did you also have to fit the sensors on the suspension control arms to give the system the vehicle pitch input for the self leveling ? That's assuming how it is done these days, it was in the past
Yea those where a pain on my mini as when I hit potholes it would sometimes brake the little arm on the module.

The mini had coil-overs so it was low, you tend to brake a lot of things when your that low lol.

Good question though as if those are still used then he would have to have them for proper functionality.

And that would be an ordeal unless the wiring is already their. But who knows the car has a gyroscope I think so it may be able to tell angle changes through software.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 05:03 AM   #16
demlotcrew
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i3_rex View Post
Hi Demlotcrew

Technically yes you need the front and rear sensors, they are dead easy to fit, its a basic 0-5v pot with a zero of around 2.5v with three wires going to each sensor. Ive not fitted them yet, ill get round to it.

The sensors bolt to the chassis and drop links connect to the arms, all the holes and attachments are there ready to go, its an easy job.

Im used to getting my hands dirty with MIL wiring/F1 hardware, working on the electrics of an i3 is a blessing!

TBH nothing phases me with these cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 05:07 AM   #17
demlotcrew
Rep

USA sales 10548
European sales 11393

Its very probable European lead could be reversed but as yet we are still outselling.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 05:28 AM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
USA sales 10548
European sales 11393

Its very probable European lead could be reversed but as yet we are still outselling.
Lol yep!
Wasn't arguing. But with that small of a margin their basically the same. I was trying to find out if the lights did what you said through Bmw however and can't find a lick of info. So when your all done let us know if it does do all of what you say, then I'll buy a pair unless it's just coded to disable. Doesn't the euro version omit the 3 small yellow marker led's, Hell worth changing them out just for that.

As far as retrofitting yea it can be fun, retrofitted a full nav system on my z4, since they had stopped making the part had to literally reinvent the darn thing. But it was a fun challenge. The sensors look cool on the i3 though. Nice blue accents
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #19
demlotcrew
Rep

What sensors are blue?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #20
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What sensors are blue?
Sorry I'm looking at all this with a phone. No need to be a smart ass about it. Obviously I was mistaken I saw a box with blue items. So I took that as sensors or whatever. Since its on a small screen you can correct me. I guess the small black thing above the blue items in the box in the sensors right? What are the blue items?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 06:08 AM   #21
demlotcrew
Rep

Oh those! They are current F1 high pressure fuel transfer pumps at a little over £12k each I keep them in a padded carry case.

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #22
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh those! They are current F1 high pressure fuel transfer pumps at a little over £12k each I keep them in a padded carry case.

Andrew
Lol. I knew that was to cool of a part to be on This car, Even though they share that nice blue color. Oh well.
Appreciate 0