07-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #859
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs11 View Post
Agreed... Plan the Parade!! Just like the Sundin and Kessel eras.

just kidding, the laughs are building a solid team.
The Sundin era wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. I'd rather not speak of the Kessel era however
      07-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #860
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph335 View Post
Yeah soon I hope for Hart!
Good point, maybe JVR bumps Coots off PP1 and takes his spot. Hopefully Simmer is back to his old form cause JVR and Simmer in front of the net on a PP is really fun to think about.

There's still some decent defensemen out there. Or just go for broke and get EK65! Gotta have some guys on the Marlies you can move for him.
I wish we could get him. He would only be a rental for us anyways...we don't have the cap space to afford the contract he will surely be receiving now that Doughty signed for 8 years / $88 million.

Also, the likelihood of Ottawa executing a trade like this with us is extremely low. It's like you guys trading with the Pens...but then again, they did take Phaneuf off our hands, so if I was Dubas I'd at least offer them a fleece deal and see if they bite

We'll need some guys to shore up our bottom six now that we've lost JVR, Bozak, Dominic Moore and Komorov to date, with only a single NHL-er (albeit a superstar) to show for it.
      07-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #861
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30inthe6ix View Post
The Sundin era wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. I'd rather not speak of the Kessel era however
Habs just brought back the Pleks era!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #862
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Habs just brought back the Pleks era!!!!!
You guys got us good on that one. I feel like he went to your GM and said "hey, trade me to the Leafs...I'll net you a pick and a player in the trade, sabotage their season, and come back at a discount on 7/1"

He had it rough in the regular season, but he played better in the playoffs. If he could've maintained that level of play, I wouldn't have minded resigning him, but he deserves to be in Montreal where his heart is at.
      07-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #863
Ralph335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi M-Sport

Quote:
I wish we could get him. He would only be a rental for us anyways...we don't have the cap space to afford the contract he will surely be receiving now that Doughty signed for 8 years / $88 million.

Also, the likelihood of Ottawa executing a trade like this with us is extremely low. It's like you guys trading with the Pens...but then again, they did take Phaneuf off our hands, so if I was Dubas I'd at least offer them a fleece deal and see if they bite

We'll need some guys to shore up our bottom six now that we've lost JVR, Bozak, Dominic Moore and Komorov to date, with only a single NHL-er (albeit a superstar) to show for it.
Even Karlsson for a year is worth it as a rental. Makes you an immediate Cup favorite. I understand the cap implications though.

There's other more affordable guys left like de Haan. He'd be a fine second pair guy.

Dubas isn't done. Traded Matt Martin to the Isles today. Got a goalie prospect for him. Little bit of cap savings ..... What's he gonna do with it?
Bring up some kids for the bottom 6. The Marlies just won the Calder... You have got to have some guys ready for a bigger role in the NHL.

Last edited by Ralph335; 07-03-2018 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #864
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Even Karlsson for a year is worth it as a rental. Makes you an immediate Cup favorite. I understand the cap implications though.

There's other more affordable guys left like de Haan. He'd be a fine second pair guy.

Dubas isn't done. Traded Matt Martin to the Isles today. Got a goalie prospect for him. Little bit of cap savings ..... What's he gonna do with it?
Thrilled about getting rid of Martin. I get he's a locker room-type guy, but watching him try and play hockey was utterly painful. Especially when we paired him with talent and his lack of skill would end up holding the entire line back. Dubas will have to find a way to replace the grit we've lost already this off-season between Uncle Leo, Polak and now Martin.

I'm personally hoping he brings in de Haan, or Lucas Sbisa from VGK would be a solid addition to our blue line. If we could get Orpik at a reasonable rate I wouldn't be opposed to that either...
      07-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #865
Ralph335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Getting rid of sandpaper guys and replacing it with actual talent will always make your team better. Good move by Dubas.

Orpik? He's OLD. There's a reason he got dumped by Washington.
There's other defensemen out there. What about say, Justin Faulk out of Carolina?
      07-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #866
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Getting rid of sandpaper guys and replacing it with actual talent will always make your team better. Good move by Dubas.

Orpik? He's OLD. There's a reason he got dumped by Washington.
There's other defensemen out there. What about say, Justin Faulk out of Carolina?
I know he's old, but he's an experienced vet with a few Cups who didn't even look out of place during Washington's championship season last year. I think for the Caps it was more about clearing cap space, but I'd give him a one year deal at the very least.

Faulk would be an alright pickup. To be honest with you, I really wanted us to somehow finesse Slaavin out of Carolina prior to the long-term deal he signed last summer. Not as high on Faulk as I am on him, but Carolina seems to love bringing in former Leafs, so there's a chance Dubas could get it done no doubt.

I wouldn't even mind if the Leafs just played some of our own young d more. Travis Dermott is going to be a heck of a player, and Justin Holl was impressive during his call-up stint last season. I'd much rather see either of them play extra minutes versus Babcock throwing Zaitsev and Gardiner out there constantly...
      07-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #867
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed... Plan the Parade!! Just like the Sundin and Kessel eras.

just kidding, the laughs are building a solid team.
They may make it out of the first round of playoffs this time.

No D, barely a G...can't win without that. Don't care what trap Boobcock puts in...
      07-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #868
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
. What about say, Justin Faulk out of Carolina?
speaking of Carolina - how the hell do they hold a franchise that can barely fill the arena at 70%?

Arizona, Florida, Carolina need to move somewhere fans will fill the seats.

I want my Nordiques back with zero advertising on the boards.
      07-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #869
Ralph335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know he's old, but he's an experienced vet with a few Cups who didn't even look out of place during Washington's championship season last year. I think for the Caps it was more about clearing cap space, but I'd give him a one year deal at the very least.

Faulk would be an alright pickup. To be honest with you, I really wanted us to somehow finesse Slaavin out of Carolina prior to the long-term deal he signed last summer. Not as high on Faulk as I am on him, but Carolina seems to love bringing in former Leafs, so there's a chance Dubas could get it done no doubt.

I wouldn't even mind if the Leafs just played some of our own young d more. Travis Dermott is going to be a heck of a player, and Justin Holl was impressive during his call-up stint last season. I'd much rather see either of them play extra minutes versus Babcock throwing Zaitsev and Gardiner out there constantly...
Yeah but you sign him to a multiple year deal and things will get ugly real fast. I'd stay far away from that.

So just bring up the kids and give them a shot.
I don't know why coaches are so hesistant to give guys a shot. Hak is the same way with the Flyers defensive prospects. One mistake and they are benched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
speaking of Carolina - how the hell do they hold a franchise that can barely fill the arena at 70%?

Arizona, Florida, Carolina need to move somewhere fans will fill the seats.

I want my Nordiques back with zero advertising on the boards.

I have no idea.

I'd be fine with Quebec. Just don't go back to Atlanta again
      07-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #870
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They may make it out of the first round of playoffs this time.

No D, barely a G...can't win without that. Don't care what trap Boobcock puts in...
Barely a goalie? What...? Are you talking about Andersen, who was one of the best goalies in the league last year? Or Matt Murray?

Toronto has a solid goaltending tandem. You might not want to admit it, much like you think that Pittsburg still somehow has our centre depth beat. Delusional Pens fans man....
      07-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #871
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but you sign him to a multiple year deal and things will get ugly real fast. I'd stay far away from that.

So just bring up the kids and give them a shot.
I don't know why coaches are so hesistant to give guys a shot. Hak is the same way with the Flyers defensive prospects. One mistake and they are benched.

I have no idea.

I'd be fine with Quebec. Just don't go back to Atlanta again
Expectations are a bit too high to play the kids this season. At least not when there are alternatives available. Believe me, I'm all for it, but other fans and media will be freaking out all year if we don't do something to solidify our D. Adding a guy like Dermott halfway through the season last year worked out very well...I would not be opposed to doing that again, but this time from game 1 onward.

Also, it's a little thing called revenue sharing that keeps teams like that around. Quebec may come back as a relocated team, but in terms of expansion, forget about it. I'd love them to come back, but with the expansion fees teams like VGK and Seattle will be paying, it's not feasible. Given the currency exchange, Quebec would need years to be profitable just after paying the expansion fee alone.
      07-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #872
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
I sincerely hope you're right about the multiple Cups part. I do worry that Nylander will get traded for a young, top 4 defenseman, but the current rumors of him going to Vancouver for Tanev straight up are ridiculous. With our current roster, I wouldn't mind trading away a few draft picks and recently-drafted prospects in order to keep all of them together...but sooner or later finances will become the bigger problem.
they can keep the big 4 as long as they get rid of marleau and put lupul and horton on ltir (i think?). There are a few teams that have 4 players making over 6 million. Leafs just need to get creative and really developed their young D. Lilijgren is a stud, im excited to see him come up.
      07-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #873
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Barely a goalie? What...? Are you talking about Andersen, who was one of the best goalies in the league last year? Or Matt Murray?

Toronto has a solid goaltending tandem. You might not want to admit it, much like you think that Pittsburg still somehow has our centre depth beat. Delusional Pens fans man....
I see as a Canadian, you've already partaken in the country wide legal marijuana...and apparently it's affecting your brain cells.

Murray, while an off season dealing with injury and the death of his father, still lined up with your best. I'll repeat so it sinks in, off-season, still lines up with your best. And last I checked, 2 cups wins is still greater than 0. I'd also like to point out that your boy Andersen lost his job in Anaheim to a Pittsburgh boy. Just sayin.

And oh my on the forwards...I had to go pretty far down the scoring depth chart before I even found a leaf there. So far down, I couldn't even fit within 10 players on my screen shot before I found your top guy. He's not even there...nowhere to be found. Pens defense has a guy on par with the leafs top point producer.

I see you didn't comment on the Leafs D - good thing.

So you're new found talent in scoring...I just want you to realize he's behind the guy Toronto wanted to get rid of so bad...they are willing to take part of his salary an an annual basis just to get rid of him.

I'll leave you this scoring chart, maybe a visual will help you, along with the reminder that outside of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Toronto hasn't seen a cup in half a century. I realize I'm biased on my team, but the Leafs are nowhere in talent. I can do the same here with Tampa's team. Please, you have no comeback.
Attached Images

Last edited by ShopVac; 07-04-2018 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #874
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Sh!t just got heated
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #875
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I see as a Canadian, you've already partaken in the country wide legal marijuana...and apparently it's affecting your brain cells.

Murray, while an off season dealing with injury and the death of his father, still lined up with your best. I'll repeat so it sinks in, off-season, still lines up with your best. And last I checked, 2 cups wins is still greater than 0.

And oh my on the forwards...I had to go pretty far down the scoring depth chart before I even found a leaf there. So far down, I couldn't even fit within 10 players on my screen shot before I found your top guy. He's not even there...nowhere to be found. Pens defense has a guy on par with the leafs top point producer.

So you're new found talent in scoring...I just want you to realize he's behind the guy Toronto wanted to get rid of so bad...they are willing to take part of his salary.

I'll leave you this scoring chart, maybe a visual will help you, along with the reminder that outside of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Toronto hasn't seen a cup in half a century, so you have no comeback.
This is a great comeback. Really addressed the point I was making...which it actually seems like you missed entirely. I don't care for your top scorers. I specifically talked about depth at the centre position.

You've got...

Crosby (he's not getting any younger)
Malkin (stud, also aging out of his prime)
?
??
???

We've got...
Tavares (stud, in his prime)
Matthews (absolute stud, hasn't hit his prime yet)
Kadri (one of the best two-way centres in the game)
Nylander (plays centre but Babcock loves him on the wing. If he was a full-time C, I wouldn't even have bothered having this conversation with you)

Furthermore, if you want to touch on injuries, Matthews was out 20 games last season, otherwise he'd be way up that scoring chart you arbitrarily posted.

Murray isn't a terrible goalie - far from it actually - but Andersen is better. Sure, Murray shines in the playoffs, and you've got a couple Cups to show for it, but let's also not forget that 15 years ago you guys were on the verge of folding the organization. Sooner or later your stars will age, and you'll start missing the playoffs. I wonder if even half of your bandwagon is going to stick around for that rebuild. Thank god for revenue sharing, right?

I'm not sure where you correlate having the top point producers with being a good team. I didn't see a bunch of Capitals or VGK players at the top of that list...yet they did better than your beloved Penguins. Claude Giroux and some of his Flyers teammates put up all kinds of stats last season...how did they fare? All I was eluding to was depth at the centre position.

If I was to compare our teams, this would be my unbiased assessment

Forwards - Leafs > Pens
Defense - Pens > Leafs
Goaltending - Leafs > Pens - or at best, if you want to include Murray's playoff success (assuming you'll continue to make it there), this might be a tie

Have fun with Kessel...we really don't miss him, fyi. I'm happy you guys are getting solid production out of him, and that he's been able to develop into a solid two-way player, but believe me, even with Kapanen still being an unproven commodity, I'd have no issue making that trade again.
      07-04-2018, 09:41 AM   #876
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeinBMW View Post
they can keep the big 4 as long as they get rid of marleau and put lupul and horton on ltir (i think?). There are a few teams that have 4 players making over 6 million. Leafs just need to get creative and really developed their young D. Lilijgren is a stud, im excited to see him come up.
Lilijgren could be a stud, but he didn't look at all ready during the recent Calder Cup run. I'd say he's a year or two away still. Marleau wasn't a good signing and I'm not too happy that his contract spans three seasons. Let's hope he doesn't end up on Robidas Island before he becomes a UFA again
      07-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #877
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Sh!t just got heated
No shit..more than when the season was going. This is like fantasy hockey now. Pure theoretical talk..yeah talk.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #878
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:

Murray, while an off season dealing with injury and the death of his father, still lined up with your best. I'll repeat so it sinks in, off-season, still lines up with your best. And last I checked, 2 cups wins is still greater than 0. I'd also like to point out that your boy Andersen lost his job in Anaheim to a Pittsburgh boy. Just sayin.

I see you didn't comment on the Leafs D - good thing.

So you're new found talent in scoring...I just want you to realize he's behind the guy Toronto wanted to get rid of so bad...they are willing to take part of his salary an an annual basis just to get rid of him.

I'll leave you this scoring chart, maybe a visual will help you, along with the reminder that outside of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Toronto hasn't seen a cup in half a century. I realize I'm biased on my team, but the Leafs are nowhere in talent. I can do the same here with Tampa's team. Please, you have no comeback.
All that fire power and what happened? On the golf course just a bit later than the Leafs. In the regular season we beat the Pens 2 out of 3 games. You've lost your mind if you don't think Andersen is a good goalie. He beat Murray in every category while playing behind a horrible D. Wake up and get your nose out of Crosbys ass.

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"

Last edited by Kid Eh; 07-04-2018 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #879
ShopVac
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You've got...

Crosby (he's not getting any younger)
Malkin (stud, also aging out of his prime)
?
??
???
Lets take this one at a time...

Crosby
Malkin
Brassard (oh yeah, you missed him - that guy that VGK is paying part of his salary for)
Sheahan (better two way guy than your two way guy - with a better +/- last year - and 19 of Kudri's points where on the PP, where Sheahan gets hardly any PP time)
And our depth just pulled Matt Cullen back for a 5th center.

Leafs forwards better than the Pens? Top scoring team in the NHL Pens? You realize the idea of forwards is to primarily score, right?

Read the news - the talk is how Toronto may have center depth similar to the Pens. Look who you're compared to, come back to me when you have something real.
      07-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #880
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Lets take this one at a time...

Crosby
Malkin
Brassard (oh yeah, you missed him - that guy that VGK is paying part of his salary for)
Sheahan (better two way guy than your two way guy - with a better +/- last year - and 19 of Kudri's points where on the PP, where Sheahan gets hardly any PP time)
And our depth just pulled Matt Cullen back for a 5th center.

Leafs forwards better than the Pens? Top scoring team in the NHL Pens? You realize the idea of forwards is to primarily score, right?

Read the news - the talk is how Toronto may have center depth similar to the Pens. Look who you're compared to, come back to me when you have something real.
LOLLLLLLLLL This guy just said Sheahan is a better two-way player than Kadri.

Dude, I'm done. Have fun with your biased nonsense. You realize that Kadri almost has better stats in a single season than Sheahan does in his career?

Oh, and let me guess, you've got guys in the AHL better than Marner and Matthews, right? At least warn me before you're gonna crack jokes like that...my coffee nearly ended up all over my keyboard from laughing at that.