BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

11-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
In the shop for 45 days because of this...

When I took delivery of my i3, I found a small inch-long tear in the roof seal, probably when the dealer was removing the transport wrap on the roof.

At the time, it wasn't a big deal. Dealer was going to replace the seal under warranty. However, that involved replacing the entire roof frame, repainting it, and reapplying the silver decor decal. The car was ready 28 days later, because they painted the frame wrong and had to replace it again with parts from Germany. Upon inspection, I found the painted area had nibs and the silver decal was not applied correctly.

I rejected the repair and asked the dealer to look into the stuff I found. About another 17 days later, the dealer calls and says they had to replace the roof frame another two times. The third time, the quality was poor, so they had a separate "factory-trained" shop do the work from scratch for a fourth time. The car is supposed to be ready in a few days.

At this point, my car has been in the shop for 46 days and the roof frame replaced four times. The dealer has been doing a poor job of communicating with me and I've already involved BMWNA. While I agree the repair work done is overkill compared to the actual problem, and in retrospect I'd probably let the tear go, it's in the past. The car has been out for over a month and taken apart so many times that I'd like to understand my options if they botch the fourth repair. Lemon Law? Buyback?

That said, if the fourth attempt is successful, would it be reasonable to ask for 2-3 lease payments back?
      11-28-2018, 01:07 AM   #2
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thought I'd update. The SM called and said the work was done and he personally inspected it. He said while the roof frame was painted correctly, but the decal had bubbles and ripples and required replacement. This meant another two weeks waiting for parts, but in the meantime I could drive the car.

So far the car has been out of service for 52 days and the roof frame was replaced and repainted four times. After driving the car for the weekend, I've noticed an errant screw in the rear-right of the cabin and it's making noises every time I accelerate or turn sharply. I've emptied the entire car just to be sure it's not coming from a loose object and the damn noise is still there. I looked in every nook and cranny for the stupid thing and cant find what is causing the noise. I guess I'll have the dealer look at it when the car goes back for the decal.

The entire time, BMWNA was working with me to document what was happening. With the amount of work done, I'm having my case reviewed for buyback or replacement.

Last edited by capt_slow; 11-28-2018 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & X5

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
wow thank you for the update and sorry that you have to go through that. A buyback or replacement would be sweet. Hope the end result will be in your favor.

Garage: BMW i3 Giga World BEV | BMW E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Buyback...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
baldyloxx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3Rex

I feel your pain.. Local Irvine BMW Service center has terrible service as well. Debacle over installing 'BMW Directional Wheels' is now going into its 2nd week.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update

BMWNA called me back and approved the buyback. The exact terms of the buyback is still TBD, but the gist of it is I will return the car in exchange for a dollar amount.

If I want to get into another i3, then I'll need to lease one again as if I was a new buyer. I'm not quite happy with this, since a lot of the incentives I used for the first i3 are no longer around (Fleet, UDE, etc.). I did ask about a straight swap, so they are looking into it.

As for the SCE and CVRP rebates, I would need to pay them back if I didnt get into another equivalent EV. If I did get an equivalent EV, then I would just need to call in and get the VINs swapped on the paperwork.
      01-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #7
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Decisions. Decisions.

BMWNA got back to me and I was able to get my options down:

Option A: Keep the current i3 and receive $3k cash. Lease would continue as normal.
Option B: Return the i3, receive $7.8k cash*, and a $4k OL code to towards another BMW.
Option C: Return the i3 and receive $7.8k cash*

*This is pretty much my drive-off and payments since the issue occurred. If I go this route I would need to return $2500 back to CA for the CVRP rebate.

The lease rates are not good compared to my original deal, so Option B ends up costing me more in the long run than Option A. That said, Option C is still possible as I'm planning to keep my F31 at lease-end. Sadly, doesn't look like the OL code can be used towards buying out my F31 lease.

Any recommendations how I should go?
      01-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
BMWNA got back to me and I was able to get my options down:

Option A: Keep the current i3 and receive $3k cash. Lease would continue as normal.
Option B: Return the i3, receive $7.8k cash*, and a $4k OL code to towards another BMW.
Option C: Return the i3 and receive $7.8k cash*

*This is pretty much my drive-off and payments since the issue occurred. If I go this route I would need to return $2500 back to CA for the CVRP rebate.

The lease rates are not good compared to my original deal, so Option B ends up costing me more in the long run than Option A. That said, Option C is still possible as I'm planning to keep my F31 at lease-end. Sadly, doesn't look like the OL code can be used towards buying out my F31 lease.

Any recommendations how I should go?
  • If you still like the car, take $3K and have a ball (Option A). The damage looks superficial, and since you will be returning the car at the lease-end - has no longer term impact on asset's value.
  • If you don't, do B or C.
a

P.S.: BTW, Fleet discounts are still in play, and are -$1.5K for i3's.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
  • If you still like the car, take $3K and have a ball (Option A). The damage looks superficial, and since you will be returning the car at the lease-end - has no longer term impact on asset's value.
  • If you don't, do B or C.
a

With option A, I'd worry they'd try to screw you and charge you for "damage" when you return the lease in a few years. You'd want something in writing saying they won't if you go that route.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:57 PM   #10
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
a
I did the math and my effective lease payment with the $3k would be around $70/month. Do you have any more info about the fleet discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
With option A, I'd worry they'd try to screw you and charge you for "damage" when you return the lease in a few years. You'd want something in writing saying they won't if you go that route.
The cosmetic damage was repaired already by the dealer.
      01-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
I did the math and my effective lease payment with the $3k would be around $70/month. Do you have any more info about the fleet discount?
Not beyond looking it up at work.
I could upload the PDF later, but it has the same terms as what they were when I was shopping for an i3 lease around 20 months ago.

I haven't done any additional research on recent pricing and discounts, as we've decided to turn-in the current i3 at lease expiry, and get another EV the next time around.

YMMV,
a
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:51 PM   #12
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not beyond looking it up at work.
I could upload the PDF later, but it has the same terms as what they were when I was shopping for an i3 lease around 20 months ago.
No worries. I was able to look it up. The fleet discount cant be combined for any lease, conquest, or loyalty credits. Also not available for customers who own or have owned a BMW in the last year.

In the end, I went with Option A. That said, the car is back in the shop again to:
  • Replace the decal
  • Find that damn screw
  • Install the diversity antenna (missing from delivery)
  • Fix the range extender (it wont turn on)

Not complaining this time as I was put in a 530e.

EDIT: It's still in the shop, 104 days and counting!

Last edited by capt_slow; 03-06-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0