03-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #23
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentanker View Post
Here, I'm going to "dox" myself.

You know what's going to happen to me? Nothing. Nothing at all.

I'm not scared. Why are you?
where it TX are you at?

ive been in dallas for 3 years with no front plate and havent been pulled over once.

hell, my registration expired in june 2018 and i still havent got that sorted and havent had a cop look twice at me on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #24
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 228i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
where it TX are you at?

ive been in dallas for 3 years with no front plate and havent been pulled over once.

hell, my registration expired in june 2018 and i still havent got that sorted and havent had a cop look twice at me on the road.
I'm in the woods 20 miles east of San Antonio. I lived in Dallas for about 5 years and Austin for about 8 years. I got pulled over once in China Grove *yes that's a song! for having no front plate even though I did. The cop acknowledged his mistake and let me go. He couldn't see it from his side of the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #25
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
A phone number is not information displayed when a plate is ran.

I get it, why surrender more info than needed? The fact is, it takes significant effort to obtain r/o info from a plate. Even then, it is simply a name and address of the r/o. Nothing else.

And even if phone numbers were displayed when a plate was ran, that would be totally useless information.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Here, I'm going to "dox" myself.

You know what's going to happen to me? Nothing. Nothing at all.

I'm not scared. Why are you?
My suggestion is to drill holes and mount the plate in the center. Off center plates look worse than drilled holes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I'm not crazy worried about the topic at hand here. If I were to post a picture of my car on social media/the internets, I wouldn't be quite so worried about blurring out my tag; however, I would be more apt to blur out someone else's due to respect for their privacy. They may not want their tag number being displayed by me for all to see.

In relation to the amount of information that can be obtained from a tag number, if you have a $50k+ car, I can assume that you have the ability to purchase such a nice car. This leads me to believe that you have other nice items, such a nice home and possessions inside said home. I also now have your address and know what your car looks like for verification in the event that it isn't parked inside a garage. Not everyone has security systems or camera set ups around their home and to a successful/talented would be thief, it's very easily detectable in the event that you don't.

Lets also consider this scenario. We as humans all act like assholes on the internet from time to time. We also drive like assholes on occasion. I would not put it past other assholes, either on the road or on the internets, to gather your home address, then google street view to see your home, layout of the neighborhood, potentially notice if you have camera's mounted outside or security system stickers in windows/signs in yard. Some assholes could go as far as to break into your car. In the event that you have a GPS in your vehicle, said asshole now has a GPS map to your front door. In the event that you have a home link garage door opener on your rear-view mirror, said asshole now has a key to get in your home. I'm not saying that this is something that everyone should be worried about as most people wouldn't have the balls to such things.....BUT, there are those who do and those that are fueled by revenge, money and/or drugs that have no fear and wouldn't think twice about doing such things.

This is why, in the event that I were to post a picture of another persons car, that I would show them enough respect as not to put myself in a situation of causing potential issues. In today's society, it's quite beneficial to learn how to cover your own ass by showing respect to others. It's not a matter of paranoia, it's a matter of protecting not only yourself but others.

Last edited by King Rudi; 03-15-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #28
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
You can assume the people that blurr their plates are the ones that are complete assholes online and too afraid of possible confrontation in person for shit they say to people from behind a screen.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #29
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
My suggestion is to drill holes and mount the plate in the center. Off center plates look worse than drilled holes.
I disagree 100%

Also, Iowa just did away with their front plate law about 2 years ago so since I had an off-center plate for 10 years I can now have no front plate AND no holes.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
zentanker205.00
      03-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #30
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You can assume the people that blurr their plates are the ones that are complete assholes online and too afraid of possible confrontation in person for shit they say to people from behind a screen.
Safe and valid assumption.
Appreciate 1
zentanker205.00
      03-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #31
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

lol i hope you guys have some good personal data monitoring.

as mentioned above, its not that hard to find name, number and address. from there, you can get all kinds of personal info. And god forbid you piss someone off and they find your info. its not hard to find your social media accounts from there, start contacting friends/family/employers, and who knows what from there.

Take it from someone who has had their identity compromised in the past. Putting too much info online is just asking for trouble.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?

Last edited by TheWatchGuy; 03-15-2019 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 4
MassNerd171.00
2000cs3443.50
bimmette6452.50
      03-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #32
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Putting too much info online is just asking for trouble.
Don't worry, all the companies who sell your personal info yet are free from any liability have already done that.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #33
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Some local PDs have been monitoring online activity and started to go after people based on crimes committed in the videos.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #34
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Some local PDs have been monitoring online activity and started to go after people based on crimes committed in the videos.
Yep, and Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #35
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Some people care, some people don't. I don't bother covering up my license plate when I post pictures of my car. I don't bother covering up serial numbers when posting pictures of my gun. Go ahead and report my gun serial number stolen. See where that gets you.
lol

Also I was looking at Sly Plates no drill front plate mount but Ohio's thinking of passing a no front plate required law so I'll wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #36
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yep, and Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

There are people actively watching that, and more. A good friend of mine is in a counterdrug task force and the stuff he's told me about their methods is both amusing and impressive. But... none of it is anything to worry about unless you're a criminal.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #37
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
lol i hope you guys have some good personal data monitoring.

as mentioned above, its not that hard to find name, number and address. from there, you can get all kinds of personal info. And god forbid you piss someone off and they find your info. its not hard to find your social media accounts from there, start contacting friends/family/employers, and who knows what from there.

Take it from someone who has had their identity compromised in the past. Putting too much info online is just asking for trouble.

I know that you have expensive watches. Those are items that are easily stolen and sold. I bet it wouldn't take all that much effort to get your IP and then some geolocation
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #38
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
Do a search for "Stava thefts" and you'll see how posting anything about your possessions + identifying information is a recipe for being robbed.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #39
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

"All your base are belonged to us"

If you are a reader pick up Origins by Dan Brown. An interesting read and maybe a real vision in to our future. (Would also apply to the 737 grounding thread)

Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #40
zentanker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
Do a search for "Stava thefts" and you'll see how posting anything about your possessions + identifying information is a recipe for being robbed.

...that's a recipe for being shot or beaten down on my property. If my 90lb dog doesn't get an invader, I will. Come rob me.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #41
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
A few years back insurance companies were taking pics of cars/plates off a local drag strip website and dropping policies on peeps who showed up to run test & tune nights.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #42
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
I know that you have expensive watches. Those are items that are easily stolen and sold. I bet it wouldn't take all that much effort to get your IP and then some geolocation
it wouldnt, which is why im not going to make it easier and put out any more information that is easily hidden.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      03-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #43
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There are people actively watching that, and more. A good friend of mine is in a counterdrug task force and the stuff he's told me about their methods is both amusing and impressive. But... none of it is anything to worry about unless you're a criminal.
Exactly.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #44
southbay
Rep
Drives: E63s Wagon

Quote:
...that's a recipe for being shot or beaten down on my property. If my 90lb dog doesn't get an invader, I will. Come rob me.
+1!
Appreciate 0