BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #23
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhk View Post
I have just purchased a G11 Ceramic controller to replace the NBT EVO controller on my 2018 F80 with iDrive 6. Somehow the new controller won't work. Then I've taken them apart and swapped the knob and faceplate onto my original controller.
I know this was a while back, but do you happen to have any pics of the install? I'm debating trying this with the G11 knob vs. the G30 knob (metal/shiny black buttons vs. all matte black).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #24
awhk
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 SBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhk View Post
I have just purchased a G11 Ceramic controller to replace the NBT EVO controller on my 2018 F80 with iDrive 6. Somehow the new controller won't work. Then I've taken them apart and swapped the knob and faceplate onto my original controller.
I know this was a while back, but do you happen to have any pics of the install? I'm debating trying this with the G11 knob vs. the G30 knob (metal/shiny black buttons vs. all matte black).

Thanks!
Here you go!

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24685705
Appreciate 1
alistairk117.50
      07-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #25
coolv
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2015

Thumbs up

Thanks for taking time to share the information with pictures. Really appreciate !
Question - I messed up the ribbon cable pins when trying to reconnect it in the idrive controller. Any advise on where to buy the ribbon cable, or place to buy the whole top knob compartment with ribbon cable?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 09:46 PM   #26
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolv View Post
Thanks for taking time to share the information with pictures. Really appreciate !
Question - I messed up the ribbon cable pins when trying to reconnect it in the idrive controller. Any advise on where to buy the ribbon cable, or place to buy the whole top knob compartment with ribbon cable?
Thanks
Used on ebay would be my approach. Its not sold as an individual part and its all custom. You'll need a whole new controller.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #27
Chris159
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M

Thanks for the thorough overview... I'm new to all this so this might be a potentially dumb question. One of my iDrive buttons has come off (media and radio), and I just can't figure out how to put it back in. I'm not sure if something broke off on the button that would normally "clip in", but pushing it back in doesn't seem to work, but not sure if I'm doing it wrong
Googled it loads but I can only find guides for the whole unit, but not individual buttons.

Any hints would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #28
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
Notice: Updated Guide for Newer iDrive Controllers: HERE

How To Guide: Disassemble BMW i3 Touch iDrive Controller

Why: I spilled some liquid around the buttons and they started to get sticky and gross. The buttons themselves worked but their motion wasn’t what it used to be. Since the cup holder is right in front of this switch I'm guessing other people have had this problem. I couldn't find any guides on this iDrive Touch controller so here you go...

Part: 65829350723. Checking RealOEM this is exactly the same part for many BMW's.

Time: About 45 minutes

Tools:
  • Micro Flathead Screwdriver
  • Torx T6
  • Torx T8 (Not Required)
  • Torx T15 (I think, my tool was unlabeled)
  • Cleaning Solution – I used diluted rubbing alcohol
  • Parts Tray (Not Required)
  • 5.5 Socket (Ignore in Photo - Unused)

Guide:

The top of the center console pops up from the front edge. No tools are needed. You don’t need to (and actually can’t) remove the rubber portion of the main cup holder. Feel long the front edge and pull up along the seem

Before lifting the plate up too high, disconnect the two blue electrical connectors. Squeeze and pull straight out. No tools needed.

The panel is hooked in the rear but it should just lift out.

Three black T15 Torx screws hold the iDriver control in the top panel. Additionally there are 4 silver T6 Trox screws that need to be removed.

Flip over the iDrive unit once removed from the panel

Using a Micro flathead screwdriver gently pry around the top seam between the black rubber bezel and silver touch sensor pad. The touch sensor pad pops off.

Below the sensor pad there is PCB board with a white ribbon cable attached. On the electrical ribbon connection, pull the brown tab outward release tension on the ribbon. Very carefully pull the ribbon out from the PCB board to remove the circular PCB board from the controller knob.

Flip the iDrive controller over and remove the bottom-most black plastic cover. There are 3 clips on one side and two on the other. I used the screwdriver to unclasp the clips. Below the cover you’ll expose bottom end of the ribbon cable. The brown clip on the connector holds tension on the cable. Remove with the screwdriver and very carefully pull the cable out. You can now pull the ribbon cable through completely. This may not be required but I was worried about damaging the cable as I removed other piece of the controller. If you further remove the silver metal plate you’ll need the use T8 screwdriver but I didn’t find this to be necessary.

With the top PCB board and ribbon removed you’ll now see the rest of the black plastic knob. The center piece pops off. This can be tricky and you’ll need to pry around with the screwdriver. I found two small square ends on the center disc where I pressed in and pulled up. Eventually that center will pop up. Once the center clip is removed the whole knob lifts up. From here it should be easy to lift off the various plastic pieces, clips, buttons, and components that make up the top half of the iDrive controller.

Clean all the components as needed. I used diluted rubbing alcohol. Try to use something that won’t leave any residue. There is a little white grease on the buttons and you should probably leave that there.

For reassembly it’s the reverse of what we did. The plastic bits snap back together pretty easily. The pieces only go one way so its not hard figuring out what goes where once apart. Just make sure each piece is fully snapped in and aligned as you put everything back in.

Good Luck
My idrive controller works perfectly fine but I am planning to change the silver plastic parts to ceramic...based on your post it looks like that can be done even without removing the controller from the center console...am I right in my understanding?
Appreciate 0