BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-19-2020, 12:52 AM   #1
rudypoochris
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92/72 Datsun 240z

Brake Scare and Solution?

I just bought a BMW i3 and was enjoying it for about a couple hours before I needed to stop coming off an off-ramp in traffic. Wow, almost rear ended someone. This car took two pumps of the brakes to get to significant enough pressure in what I’d normally use minimal pedal travel for in my other daily drivers.

I’ve read that rust can build up and the brakes may need a couple panic stops. I’ve done that now (couple 80-0 and a handful of 60-20 hard stops) and while it’s a little more communicative, I’m still not getting confidence inspiring braking. This is a safety issue.

What have others who’ve encountered this done? I’m thinking a pad and rotor swap may be needed? Maybe something slotted to keep the pad surface fresh? Who has experienced and solved this? I’m afraid the master cylinder is too small or the pad compound is mismatched.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
This doesn't sound right. Did the pedal go straight to the floor (indicating a fluid leak), or just feel ineffective until you lifted off and pressed on it again?????
      10-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
dapper
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW i3

You most likely just need to bleed the brakes, you basically have air in the system. It's an easy two person process but if you are uncomfortable doing such task, take it to any repair shop.

If you had a leak, you would not be able to pump the system as you have described.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
If it is a hydraulic issue on a used car, check the service history to see when (or more likely *if*) the last brake fluid change was performed. The factory change interval is every two years, regardless of mileage IIRC. Brake fluid contaminates itself by drawing water out of the air, which causes braking problems and corrosion in the system.

There is a belief that frequent brake use on a normal car generates enough heat in the fluid to boil some of the water out, extending the change interval. On an EV with mostly regen braking, there is not a lot of heat and therefore it is more important to change the fluid every two years or whatever the factory recommends.....