08-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #23
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
OK got it. So yeah, you'll need to copy the sheet you want them to see into a new file so they can only see the one. Then locked it will still allow them to copy but not edit.
Yeah that takes way too much work. We make a lot of changes so I was hoping for a quick solution. Basically it goes into a bunch of files and I don't want to have to go through all those steps every time I make a change to the master file. I'll chalk it up that there's no easy way to do this. Thank you for chiming in though!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 04:40 PM   #24
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D xDrive

Garage List
Just FYI, you can copy that data to a new sheet and link it to the original master file.

Master file gets updated, the new file does as well automatically; but the ppt viewers still only see the one sheet from the new file.

Either way, good luck with it
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #25
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsja View Post
Quote:
When copying and pasting Excel over to PowerPoint, is there any way to allow users to select and copy the data while NOT allowing them to edit the excel chart? Pasting as pictures doesn't allow for selection. Pasting as source format allows people to delete the data. Marking as final doesn't work either. Also tried protecting the sheet and workbook before copying over to PPT and that doesn't work.

Google says there's no way but I figured i should ask with folks on here before giving up. Lol
Quote:
When copying and pasting Excel over to PowerPoint, is there any way to allow users to select and copy the data while NOT allowing them to edit the excel chart? Pasting as pictures doesn't allow for selection. Pasting as source format allows people to delete the data. Marking as final doesn't work either. Also tried protecting the sheet and workbook before copying over to PPT and that doesn't work.

Google says there's no way but I figured i should ask with folks on here before giving up. Lol

I tried creating a pivot table for the source data and then locked both the source data sheet and the pivot table sheet - proceeded to copy a random graph from the pivot table sheet (under permissions while locking the pivot table sheet you got to allow users to use the auto filter, pivot chart and edit objects though) and used paste special as keep source formatting and embed workbook option.
Every time I tried to edit the data it prompted that the sheet is locked so I think it works and it still lets you copy data into another application while the users can play around with the data all they want and change the graph as well to their own liking.
I'm confused with your method. I want to be able to copy from excel table (not pivot) over to PPT. I tried your way and inserted a pivot on the same sheet and I was still able to delete data after pasting over to PPT.
Yeah sorry about the confusion, i should have used screenshots to explain better but my office firewall now blocks a bunch of crap and does not let me do half the stuff that I used to earlier, guess my internet usage ticked them off ?.

It seems that the other solution works for you so good luck with that and hopefully that gets you what you were looking for. If done right the way I did it, you can not edit/ delete data, i may have missed some info while typing as well, i am very capable of doing that, that's why I like screenshots. At least i figured out something today because of your question, so thanks.
Appreciate 0