Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

02-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #1013
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SugarSkulls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
I often stop to watch guys ego lifting far too much weight.

Since Im a broken born-again natty and can no longer total 1800+ or have 19" arms it's unlikely that they would listen to my cautionary tales of the dangers of ego lifting, so all I can do is watch, cringe and hope nothing bad happens.

A pair of 20 something kids were taking turns trying to bench the 100s today and it was horrific to watch, including the screams and branch warren style weight throws. Since I still have a little ego left,and it was my chest day too, I knocked out some paused sets with the 120s and made a point to gently set the dbs down afterwards.
What advice would you give to someone pushing max weight every workout?

Focus on form and only do weight you can handle?

Had 20" arms at one point last Fall...but I was 294# and 23% body fat lol...still though, used to put the fear of god in people's eyes when I was 294...
You were porky! oink oink!
Ha, wasn't THAT much of a fat fuck...gut was mostly in check. No 6 pk, but it wasn't hanging out 2 ft...

Wish I'd taken some better pics, but here's only one I can find...keep in mind I'm 6'6" without shoes on, so 294's gonna look different on me than someone who's 5'10...

But fuck was I strong...could hit heavy weights 3 hrs straight

Remember measuring shoulder width delt to delt, shit was 26.5"...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #1014
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Had 20" arms at one point last Fall...but I was 294# and 23% body fat lol...still though, used to put the fear of god in people's eyes when I was 294...
Max effort or 1 rep maxes?

Honestly most of my surgeries have been since I started training in the higher rep range BUT the damage was from years of heavy lifting and sloppy form.

If I had a time machine to go back to, say, 2004, I'd never do barbell pressing of any kind (no bench, no incline, no decline), never deadlift except romanian deadlifts, alternate front and back squats every squat workout and stick to the 15 rep range for most lifts.

Pause most sets, slow negatives, stop the second your form gets sloppy.

Also only train every other day and train each muscle only once every 6 days

...I'd also buy a ton of apple and netflix stock while I was there

I was 265 at my biggest, had visible 6 pack but was bloated out of my mind on anadrol and test. That's also something I'd never do again, just TRT doses from day one would have been a much better idea lol
Why no barbell pressing? Shoulder issues?

Interesting about 15 rep range...did you notice a difference in muscle hardness / growth between 3-5 rep range and 12-15?

So damn tempting to jump on a cycle...fuck. But I think cons outweigh pros for me. Maybe when I'm 45...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #1015
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Quote:

At any age or size the key is variety. Muscle confusion is a variable most ppl overlook. But when you adhere to this principle results come fast and plenty. Work weaknesses (which most don’t) and limit 1RMs to every 4-6 weeks. Even the most successful Power Lifters only “Max out” on that time line. Most will tell you they concentrate on Volume training. Working at 75%-90% of their 1RM. And it usually is for reps of 5 or less.

I use this method and principles on my big lifts ie....Squats /Deads / Pressing and some Oly lifts. Even at my age 46...my numbers haven’t dropped off that much as compared to my numbers at 36. Many ppl get obsessed with chasing numbers and they neglect the proper programming it takes to get there. I am by no means a Pro. But have trained at above normal levels as a college athlete and competed in Crossfit up until last year (masters division).

I train at home, at a Globo gym and at a CF gym. But it is at the Globo gym I cringe the most at what ppl do. Unless I see someone possible about to hurt themselves I keep to myself. But a lot of these youngsters are only interested in “Glory lifting” and posting it on social media. Awful form and injuries usually ensue. So back to the original question in the quote post....I would tell that person to limit 1RMs and vary their programming and work on their fitness/engine as we only get one body and it needs to last. And remember the inside is more important then the outside. That’s what Health and Fitness is really about!
Got it, I do try to work on flexibility as much as possible (major weakness for me). Definitely not gonna ignore that...

But interesting perspective on 1RMs...even if you never fail on 1RM, limit it to once every several weeks? Guess 1RM don't do much other than feed your ego...
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #1016
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

I’ve been out of commission for almost 3 weeks and itching to go back. I feel like I’ve gained 20 lbs
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #1017
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Got it, I do try to work on flexibility as much as possible (major weakness for me). Definitely not gonna ignore that...

But interesting perspective on 1RMs...even if you never fail on 1RM, limit it to once every several weeks? Guess 1RM don't do much other than feed your ego...
Good to hear! Flexibility and mobility are important at any age, but even more so as we get older. It is usually one of the key contributing factors to injury. That and not warming up properly. As for the 1RMs, I do fail on plenty of attempts. It’s crucial to know where that threshold hold limit is. I work a lot of variations of movements to prep for retesting of my 1RMs. Example....I will do deficit Deads, Sumo and Jefferson Deads to increase my overall strength. Also during that 4-6 weeks I train mostly volume going for 2-3 RMs to get me over any hurdles at a weight I am stuck at. Volume Volume Volume!

I am a firm believer and user of Jim Wendlers 5-3-1 programming and highly suggest it. It works for me and is a great foundation to build off of for strength. He is a very interesting guy. Huge scary looking dude all tatted up played in the NFL. Check him out, google him or YouTube him.

And you are correct, 1RMs are mostly for ego....unless you are competing or testing to work off your percentages. If you really wanna freak ppl rep out heavy shit with good form! Now that’s impressive!!!! Hope this helped.
Appreciate 2
smoosh2211.50
      02-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #1018
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:

Interesting about 15 rep range...did you notice a difference in muscle hardness / growth between 3-5 rep range and 12-15?

So damn tempting to jump on a cycle...fuck. But I think cons outweigh pros for me. Maybe when I'm 45...
Yeah, I was a legit 455 raw and mid 600's equipped bencher and tucked my elbows, touched low on my chest + used perfect form but eventually I had to have my shoulder repaired anyway

15 reps is fine imo, my target as a middle aged dadbod lifter is to get to 120 x 15 in the DB bench again, then try to maintain that as long as possible. I'm currently at 110 x 12 so it's a long ass way away but goals help I guess. When we moved to Texas I sold all my heavy dumbbells and only kept the 120s to try to prevent myself doing stupid shit again. My bicep tendons are both fucked from rowing too heavy

I actually do a lot of my leg training in even higher rep ranged, a couple of sets of safety or front squats (these have to be in the 8-10 rep range because of stabilizer fatigue) then I'll try to do 50 reps on the hammer leg press in one giant rest pause set.

You were massive, lol. At 5'11" even at my biggest I was objectively huge but always felt tiny around my strongman bros who were all your height
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #1019
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:

Back when I was powerlifting I'd 1R max maybe once every 2 months

Doing a 3RM is close enough and a little less dangerous, but in the long run that shit will kill you. Look at the elite fitness lifters, dave tate, jim wendler etc and see how fucked up they are - and they trained smart and cycled their lifts etc.

The only competing powerlifter I know personally who isn't a mess is a dude who started in his 40's and never had an ego, dude looked like shit but could deadlift 800 looking like a trucker lol
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #1020
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good to hear! Flexibility and mobility are important at any age, but even more so as we get older. It is usually one of the key contributing factors to injury. That and not warming up properly. As for the 1RMs, I do fail on plenty of attempts. It’s crucial to know where that threshold hold limit is. I work a lot of variations of movements to prep for retesting of my 1RMs. Example....I will do deficit Deads, Sumo and Jefferson Deads to increase my overall strength. Also during that 4-6 weeks I train mostly volume going for 2-3 RMs to get me over any hurdles at a weight I am stuck at. Volume Volume Volume!

I am a firm believer and user of Jim Wendlers 5-3-1 programming and highly suggest it. It works for me and is a great foundation to build off of for strength. He is a very interesting guy. Huge scary looking dude all tatted up played in the NFL. Check him out, google him or YouTube him.

And you are correct, 1RMs are mostly for ego....unless you are competing or testing to work off your percentages. If you really wanna freak ppl rep out heavy shit with good form! Now that’s impressive!!!! Hope this helped.
Appreciate it sir!! Will check out the program!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #1021
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Back when I was powerlifting I'd 1R max maybe once every 2 months

Doing a 3RM is close enough and a little less dangerous, but in the long run that shit will kill you. Look at the elite fitness lifters, dave tate, jim wendler etc and see how fucked up they are - and they trained smart and cycled their lifts etc.

The only competing powerlifter I know personally who isn't a mess is a dude who started in his 40's and never had an ego, dude looked like shit but could deadlift 800 looking like a trucker lol
Very true, and everyone is different. Depending on your background and prior lifting history and injury list ppl need to know how to make the proper adjustments as they age. The “Cliff” is only one injury away. Listen to your body and train smarter not harder! A huge difference maker for me is body maintenance! I get massages, acupuncture, Cryo Therapy and an inversion table at home. All which help my body recover. These are key components in my training regime. As I age I am more concerned about my inside and taking care of body systems. That and being able to keep up with my 6 month old son....haaaa.

With some low back and shoulder issues I have to be very cognizant of those areas and train smart. No heavy DB pressing as that seriously strains the shoulders, chest or shoulders. Barbell n KB only. Lots of Mobility and band work. I have found the more mobility I do the better I feel. And finally lots of engine work. The easier I breathe the better I feel, basic fitness 101 stuff. Ok I’ve rambled enough guys.

Btw I’m 5’10 185-190...depends on the day haa
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #1022
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate it sir!! Will check out the program!
No problem brother, didn’t mean to preach so much but athletics/health/fitness are a major part of my life. I enjoy passing on the info...knowledge is power! Keep me posted.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #1023
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I was a legit 455 raw and mid 600's equipped bencher and tucked my elbows, touched low on my chest + used perfect form but eventually I had to have my shoulder repaired anyway

15 reps is fine imo, my target as a middle aged dadbod lifter is to get to 120 x 15 in the DB bench again, then try to maintain that as long as possible. I'm currently at 110 x 12 so it's a long ass way away but goals help I guess. When we moved to Texas I sold all my heavy dumbbells and only kept the 120s to try to prevent myself doing stupid shit again. My bicep tendons are both fucked from rowing too heavy

I actually do a lot of my leg training in even higher rep ranged, a couple of sets of safety or front squats (these have to be in the 8-10 rep range because of stabilizer fatigue) then I'll try to do 50 reps on the hammer leg press in one giant rest pause set.

You were massive, lol. At 5'11" even at my biggest I was objectively huge but always felt tiny around my strongman bros who were all your height
600s is fucking insane haha...but man, I did not know the extent of injuries in the long term...

I have started to shift more towards dumbbell pressing, but man, the barbell just keeps calling you. I did notice shoulder pain from flat benching, so currently taking off from that till I have full mobility back

I also have noticed higher reps for legs just seems to work so much better...definitely helps with fatiguing all muscles

Appreciate the advice sir!! Will continue focusing on form / higher reps / nutrition to try and keep going when I'm 40s, 50s...what I would give to have joints made of steel
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #1024
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:

23% yowser!!!
But 294 is big man
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #1025
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
I get massages

Sorry i missed everything you said except this...
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      02-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #1026
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

5'10" and 225lb here... iz I fat?

New gym finally has heavy dumbbells (up to 160lb )... Agreed I do flat bench 2x a week usually but nothing I love more then heavy incline DB presses.

335i M Sport 6MT || PS2 Turbo, FBO, XDI-35 HPFP, BM3, KW, MP BBK, OEM+
INSTAGRAM || BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #1027
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt12 View Post
Sorry i missed everything you said except this...
Haaaaa, massages are the best! Although acupuncture is a close second! I feel amazing after both!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #1028
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Smoosh I have a full PDF copy of the 5-3-1 program. I can email it to you if you want.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-05-2018, 10:19 PM   #1029
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
I just.....can't.....live.....anymore....

I just saw a dude wearing female gym shark leggings with no shorts on top.

I would have taken a photo but 1) I don't want you all to see what can't be unseen 2) I don't ever want to see that shit again. This whole liberal thing has gone far enough!!!!!
      02-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #1030
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

What are these shark pants? I never wear shorts over compression pants. What's the point otherwise is it like long underwear needing to wear 2 pairs of pants
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-06-2018, 12:29 AM   #1031
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
Smoosh I have a full PDF copy of the 5-3-1 program. I can email it to you if you want.
PM sent!!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #1032
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Being at sea for 45+ days without a single port call and suddenly the ugly women become 7s and 8s and the total babes become goddesses.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 1
kprocivic812.50
      02-06-2018, 01:26 AM   #1033
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nice! There ya go Smoosh...thanks DP. Does/Did your CF box use 5-3-1? And Smoosh check out the original Barbell Shrugged (old episodes with Chris Moore before he passed away a few years ago). Especially the episode with Jim Wendler. You can find/watch them on YouTube. I have a feeling you will like them. Cool funny dudes talking about new and old school lifting, strong man stuff and some Crossfit/Olympic lifting. Some damn good info.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-06-2018, 02:12 AM   #1034
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice! There ya go Smoosh...thanks DP. Does/Did your CF box use 5-3-1? And Smoosh check out the original Barbell Shrugged (old episodes with Chris Moore before he passed away a few years ago). Especially the episode with Jim Wendler. You can find/watch them on YouTube. I have a feeling you will like them. Cool funny dudes talking about new and old school lifting, strong man stuff and some Crossfit/Olympic lifting. Some damn good info.
Really love strongman lifts, will have to check out!!
Appreciate 0