Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #23
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi e-Tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Maybe because it's a better car?

The BMW is certainly a better looking car in and out (subjectively), but it's heavier than the Model S for cryin' out loud (nevermind the Model 3 it's being compared with) and has limited room for rear-seat passengers to boot.

I guess if you don't really care about handling/performance and just want something more plush that looks nice, then the i4 would be the choice here . . . but that's not typically BMW's demographic, at least for cars with a pseudo M badge on them.

I'm sure they'll do better when they move off CLAR and into the NK1 platform with the sixth gen batteries, but this was just a half-hearted attempt to get into the luxury EV space. It's not necessarily the wrong choice either, because there's a big market for people who want an EV but hate Tesla, but there's a lot of catching up to do.
The BMW is also for those looking for some luxury (not found in the M3), quality construction (not found in the M3), a quiet ride (not found in the M3) and a smooth ride even over rough roads (not found in the M3).

So these are characteristics that Tesla fanboys apparently don't care about, but many of us do.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 04:07 PM   #24
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
The BMW is also for those looking for some luxury (not found in the M3), quality construction (not found in the M3), a quiet ride (not found in the M3) and a smooth ride even over rough roads (not found in the M3).

So these are characteristics that Tesla fanboys apparently don't care about, but many of us do.
Also, as much as Tesla evangelist wants to make Model 3 handle well by willpower, it just is not that stable at high speeds and corners when compared to BMW's like G20.

Last edited by bavarianride; 01-23-2022 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 04:53 PM   #25
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Let's not forget if you want:
HUD
Instrument cluster
Adaptive suspension
Adaptive Steering
Adaptive regeneration
Android or Apple integration
Leather seats
Laser Headlights
And a host of other stuff, you can't get it with a TM3
      01-23-2022, 05:42 PM   #26
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Didn't I say this? "If you want something plush that looks nice" just about covers it, no?

You can get all the above in a Lexus, but that's not what BMW is supposed to be about.

I don't really have a horse in this race, as I wouldn't have either one. Maybe a Model S, or stick with ICE a bit longer with an M5 or something. BMW's offering here isn't compelling at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:09 PM   #27
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dethsupp0rt;28503428"
I don't really have a horse in this race, as I wouldn't have either one. Maybe a Model S, or stick with ICE a bit longer with an M5 or something. BMW's offering here isn't compelling at all.
Many here disagree.

If it wasn't a compelling alternative to what's available out there, BMW wouldn't have pre-orders and orders into MY2023.

It's compelling as I need a new car and don't care to buy ICE again and I happen to like the i4 M50.

I wouldn't buy a Model S as I don't see value for my dollar. For the six figures for a Model S, I'd have to take a hard pass.
      01-24-2022, 06:42 AM   #28
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Didn't I say this? "If you want something plush that looks nice" just about covers it, no?

You can get all the above in a Lexus, but that's not what BMW is supposed to be about.

First off, at this point Lexus does not make an EV. We are talking about EVs here, correct? A small point.

Second, quality construction is different than ‘plush’. The BMW i4 offers both. Tesla offers neither and again, Lexus does not make an EV.

Third, when you say ‘that’s not what BMW is all about’, what exactly do you mean? BMW has long had the 7 series. Is that not plush? Is that not a smooth ride? Is that not quality construction? The 5 series too.

BMW’s offerings may not be compelling to you, but they certainly are to many here.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #29
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

The Lexus UX 300e
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:19 PM   #30
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
i4 isn't compelling, yet has orders beyond MY2022 and production can't keep up with demand.

Got it
Appreciate 2
4monks95.00
Ken732.00
      01-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #31
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
The Lexus UX 300e
Not yet available in the U.S. and I don't even see a release date. Terrible range at any rate. This is like Lexus' half hearted attempt at an EV. It's not a serious EV.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:11 AM   #32
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not yet available in the U.S. and I don't even see a release date. Terrible range at any rate. This is like Lexus' half hearted attempt at an EV. It's not a serious EV.
Agreed - but they make one - you said they don't make one. I suspect Toyota / Lexus may be first to the solid state battery line and that would be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:31 AM   #33
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agreed - but they make one - you said they don't make one. I suspect Toyota / Lexus may be first to the solid state battery line and that would be interesting.
Making one and at the same time it not being available, is kind of a moot point. It doesn't even show up on the U.S. Lexus website. So AFAIC, they still don't make an EV that I can buy or even reserve.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #34
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Making one and at the same time it not being available, is kind of a moot point. It doesn't even show up on the U.S. Lexus website. So AFAIC, they still don't make an EV that I can buy or even reserve.
Again, I agree you can't buy one, but I can. You said they don't make one - they do make one, ergo you were wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #35
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Again, I agree you can't buy one, but I can. You said they don't make one - they do make one, ergo you were wrong.
If that caveat makes you feel better, I'm glad. In this country Lexus does not currently make that car and living here, I can't buy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #36
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If that caveat makes you feel better, I'm glad. In this country Lexus does not currently make that car and living here, I can't buy it.
No caveat required - your statement that Lexus don't make an EV one was simply incorrect. "I can't buy one" is not the same as they "don't make one".
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #37
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No caveat required - your statement that Lexus don't make an EV one was simply incorrect. "I can't buy one" is not the same as they "don't make one".
OK, you're right and I'm wrong. Geesh. Gotta love the internet.
Appreciate 0