BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

12-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
hoolet
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 550i

i8 ground clearance and London speed bumps

Hello - have been looking at getting an i8 as my DD but worried about the ground clearance - does anyone have experience of coping with the hundreds of different sized speed bumps in London please? My home to office journey involves getting over many many of these speed bumps and my 550i deals with them beautifully whereas my old 530d was a disaster...any thoughts appreciated please..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:13 AM   #2
dragonsdreams
Private
Rep
Drives: i8

Generally I've found speed bumps on official roads fine as long as they are gradual inclines.
The ones to watch out for are generally on 'private' roads (not made to official spec?) where they have a sharp incline and a peak height around 20cm or more.
These will scrape the underside of the front spoiler. Although you can't see the damage from the front - looking underneath I can see the paint scraped away and the base damaged. You can hear the scrape as you go over the bump so you know to avoid those in future.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:36 AM   #3
T16ole
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M40i

I was worried about the same.

So far it’s been absolutely fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
MGRMLN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GT-R Black Edition

I obviously can't speak it London speed bumps, but my i8 is my daily and I have found that unless you lower it, it is generally fine across pretty much everything. Even though it looks low, the actual ground clearance is surprisingly generous.

The biggest thing to manage for me is the width especially in narrow parking spaces.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #5
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRMLN View Post
I obviously can't speak it London speed bumps, but my i8 is my daily and I have found that unless you lower it, it is generally fine across pretty much everything. Even though it looks low, the actual ground clearance is surprisingly generous.

The biggest thing to manage for me is the width especially in narrow parking spaces.
Same observation here owning it 7 years now…..keep it stock and you'll be fine, at least here in Chicago which has all kinds of road and traffic hazards.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

In Montreal, I have met 2 speed bumps where I bottomed out, I will never forget.... I also met a few bricks on the highway that damaged the under protection of the cover.... it was excruciating.....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

For sure some bumps require caution. I have to crawl out of my driveway or I will scrape.
Appreciate 0