BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-04-2022, 09:30 AM   #45
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You've only got yourself to blame for the closures. When governments try to get ahead of the curve and put mild measures in place early, people lose their fucking minds. Then the shit hits the fan and they are forced to shut it all down because the health system cannot handle the volumes we are seeing.
I don't think that's correct. School closures were announced in March 2020 to take effect right after the break, at which point they also declared a state of emergency and put other restrictions in place. What "mild measures" were there or enacted before they announced shutting schools down in 2020? I'm not aware of any? And if there was none, then can you see why I get upset when every single time they decide to do something, it usually involves closing the schools.

I'm ok wearing a mask if that's going to do something. I'm ok if they want to impose capacity limits if that's going to result in a tangible difference (though I respect the rights of those owners who are impacted to disagree and challenge it since that's their livelihood). I'm ok with closing liquor sales at 9pm if that's going to make a tangible difference.

I'm not ok with them closing schools. Regardless of whether it makes a tangible difference or not. Dumbasses don't seem to have figured out that parents with young children also can't work if they are home making sure their children are getting a sufficient education and the economic ripple of that, unless said parents then work till midnight after their kids go to bed to try to keep the boat afloat. And then that's not good for a relationship / marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I have been pro lockdown but feel we should let this variant rip as it is mild but we are out of nurses, we literally do not have the staff to handle the influx. I am not sure what other option there was?

Re. Eye-opening for the wife, I am telling you right now, this is way harder than you realise. I travel to the US maybe three times a year to meet with managers there that report to me and it is at the point i need to apply for a visa because I keep getting hammered for it by border control. Their position is simple, if you need to be there three times a year, you need to hire someone in the US.
Yeah, I think Omicron is a gift in a way and we should let it rip. People who chose not to get vaccinated will likely gain natural immunity (and yeah, some people will die, but people die of all sorts of other things that we find perfectly acceptable and don't blast all over the news as though armageddon is upon us). Those that are vaccinated will probably have mild symptoms and effectively get boosted.

Here's something I'd like you to opine on. They are currently considering (I don't think its final, but looks like it might be) telling healthcare workers that if they have COVID, that they can still come to work. Meanwhile, they laid off say 20% of healthcare workers because they chose bodily autonomy and decided not to get the vaccine. Why does it not make sense to have those workers come back who aren't sick, do their jobs instead of getting someone who actually has COVID to be doing the job and spreading the virus, while feeling like crap, which probably results in a subpar job? This policy makes little sense to me.

And yeah, I think going to the States is going to be extremely difficult, it's a last ditch option, but it is an option and we'll consider it. One poster mentioned something about a wealth criteria and if that exists at the level he thinks it is, if we sell our house here, we shouldn't have a problem meeting that, but that's something I'll have to look into. I doubt it is at that level, because I know the Cayman Island requires something like $1-2M of net worth being transferred to work there. Can't imagine the States would be so much lower.
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      01-04-2022, 09:34 AM   #46
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

It would be the opposite for me and I'd move to Canada. I'd love to live near Squamish. My biggest hobbies for years have been mountain biking and skiing and living near Whistler and the surrounding trail systems would be a dream for me.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #47
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

SC is pretty dope. If you end up here you can help me on the mission to bring poutine and bagged milk to the masses.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614883.50
Joekerr7926.00
      01-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #48
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Asheville, NC. Great weather, nice people, mountains, fog, and great driving roads. Just fantastic. That's where I'm moving when I retire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
wtwo317864.00
      01-04-2022, 10:19 AM   #49
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Asheville, NC. Great weather, nice people, mountains, fog, and great driving roads. Just fantastic. That's where I'm moving when I retire.
My wife and I own a condo in Asheville. Great place to visit but I couldn't live there permanently. OP wants red and Asheville is as blue as blue gets.
Joekerr7926.00
2000cs3443.50
      01-04-2022, 10:42 AM   #50
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I used to travel to Jax for business and would extend my stays to get some beach time. I really enjoyed Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Pointe Verde.
Been there, smelled that, didn't stay long enough to even get a t-shirt!

Jacksonville (and south Georgia) is the smelliest place that I know of. Keep in mind that I've driven through the NJ Meadowlands (the northeast's garbage dump) hundreds of times, so giving that title to Jax should speak volumes! The paper mills just inland make the place stink when the wind is blowing from the west. Then, there's the stench from the Jaguars stadium the last few football seasons.....
      01-04-2022, 10:53 AM   #51
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Here's something I'd like you to opine on. They are currently considering (I don't think its final, but looks like it might be) telling healthcare workers that if they have COVID, that they can still come to work. Meanwhile, they laid off say 20% of healthcare workers because they chose bodily autonomy and decided not to get the vaccine. Why does it not make sense to have those workers come back who aren't sick, do their jobs instead of getting someone who actually has COVID to be doing the job and spreading the virus, while feeling like crap, which probably results in a subpar job? This policy makes little sense to me.
General pop, or COVID wings. If the sick work with the sick, spread is less of an issue.

My oldest is still working the COVID wing, fully vaccinated, and as yet asymptomatic and no positive test. He did move out of our house a few months back though.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:58 AM   #52
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCom View Post

Huntsville, AL just passed Birmingham, AL as the largest city in the state and Huntsville is a very nice city with rocket scientists, engineers, and other well paid positions.

I didn't think about this until I was reading a few moments ago and came across your comment. We evacuated from Hurricane Ida to Huntsville and loved it. Weather was great and lots of hiking trails. They are about to experience a big growth boom in the next 5 years due to a few major industries expanding. Nashville isn't a far drive away. I was very sad to leave.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 11:01 AM   #53
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
General pop, or COVID wings. If the sick work with the sick, spread is less of an issue.

My oldest is still working the COVID wing, fully vaccinated, and as yet asymptomatic and no positive test. He did move out of our house a few months back though.
General population. I'd agree less of an issue if it was a COVID ward.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #54
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
General population. I'd agree less of an issue if it was a COVID ward.
My wife is a physician. If you're sick with covid, you're not able to go to work for 10 days. I've not heard of anywhere allowing covid+ people to be able to go to work in healthcare.

This seems obvious but those in healthcare that are vaccinated are obviously less likely to get sick vs those that are unvaccinated, which decreases chances of an outbreak in a clinic/hospital.

I don't feel sorry for anyone that chooses to be unvaccinated (for whatever reason) that gets laid off, no matter what the job.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #55
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
I don't think that's correct. School closures were announced in March 2020 to take effect right after the break, at which point they also declared a state of emergency and put other restrictions in place. What "mild measures" were there or enacted before they announced shutting schools down in 2020? I'm not aware of any? And if there was none, then can you see why I get upset when every single time they decide to do something, it usually involves closing the schools.

I think it is very tough, we have a very conservative government in power who would obviously prefer not to close down, it riles their base and there is an election looming. The reason we get in this mess is as I described, when things are OKish and the government tries to keep some semblance of care going, people go absolutely insane, inevitably this leads to a mass outbreak the system just cannot handle. I just got back from my booster and the line up at the hospital was insane, as in to get in for treatment not a shot. It must have been 20 cars deep.

For your second point, one thing that has confused me or should I say been unclear, is the spread from vaccinated people vs the unvaxed. Right now, we need all hands on deck so yeah i'd be tempted to bring back the unvaxed unless the numbers say they are much more likely to spread the bug. The underlying numbers are extremely encouraging, we are adding 10 or so folks a day to the ICU over what, 40, 50, 60, 100K cases day? Those are MUCH, MUCH better ratios than we saw with any other variant, no comparison.

Until now I have not supported the US red state positions of just pretend it is not there, the death rate is unbelievable for a first world nation and the entire attitude that permeates from the USA, this sort of lack of community or lack of social awareness and consideration, would concern me re. uprooting my family to go live there. And again, I say that as someone who would boot out JT in a heartbeat, cannot stand the sight of that giblet.

I also have concerns, especially in red states, about the school system and guns in schools. That will upset the americans who bother to read this but it is what it is, on a global scale there is really nowhere else civilized that tolerates firearms the way they do down there.

I also find, the more I visit and do business there this whole "small government, freedom and liberty" thing only really extends to the federal government. The amount of power, influence, beurocracy and general waste the states and municipalities have is just insane. The entire system is ridiculously layered and complex. We have staff in Ontario, NB, NS and QC and all those combined are less paperwork and hassle to deal with than any single US State, keeping track of garnishings alone is completely crazy.

I am getting into the weeds I guess but go in eyes open, all is not what it seems in regards to "hands off" government, i mean municipalities have the ability to charge income tax... ... .it's just so....... there are so many layers man.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      01-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #56
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
My wife and I own a condo in Asheville. Great place to visit but I couldn't live there permanently. OP wants red and Asheville is as blue as blue gets.
Would you mind to tell me why?

And yes, I missed the Red state.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:58 PM   #57
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would you mind to tell me why?

And yes, I missed the Red state.
Because the blue is nauseating there and the city is not well managed or maintained. Among other things, homelessness is a major problem and the city's efforts to solve the problem have only worsened it. There are bad streets and sidewalks all over downtown but the city wants to find a way to pay reparations rather than focus on problems affecting people city-wide. It has also gotten a lot more expensive there over the past decade. Also, many of the people who live there do not like tourists or people moving there, even if you tend to experience something different when visiting businesses who cater to tourists.
///MPhatic13538.50
2000cs3443.50
vreihen1614883.50
      01-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #58
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

How's the health insurance situation in the US, as I always hear horror stories of ppl getting bankrupt just because they need good medical care. Sure, if one has a job that provides coverage, that's fine, but what if they lose that job, then what?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:11 PM   #59
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Because the blue is nauseating there and the city is not well managed or maintained. Among other things, homelessness is a major problem and the city's efforts to solve the problem have only worsened it. There are bad streets and sidewalks all over downtown but the city wants to find a way to pay reparations rather than focus on problems affecting people city-wide. It has also gotten a lot more expensive there over the past decade. Also, many of the people who live there do not like tourists or people moving there, even if you tend to experience something different when visiting businesses who cater to tourists.
It sounds like I can stop dreaming of retiring there.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410879.00
      01-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #60
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
How's the health insurance situation in the US, as I always hear horror stories of ppl getting bankrupt just because they need good medical care. Sure, if one has a job that provides coverage, that's fine, but what if they lose that job, then what?
If you lose your job, then you likely get access to COBRA insurance (which is expensive) for a year I believe. After that then you'd have to look at Obamacare or whatever it's called which is likely even more expensive and depends on the type of coverage you want and your household income.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #61
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
If you lose your job, then you likely get access to COBRA insurance (which is expensive) for a year I believe. After that then you'd have to look at Obamacare or whatever it's called which is likely even more expensive and depends on the type of coverage you want and your household income.
How expensive is it, it is really untenable esp for ppl who just got laid off? Pretty scary situation one needs to think about.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:32 PM   #62
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Consider Arizona. Summer months suck from June through September, but the rest of the year is very nice.

Great public schools for kids, very relaxed gun laws, extremely well maintained roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #63
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
How expensive is it, it is really untenable esp for ppl who just got laid off? Pretty scary situation one needs to think about.
COBRA is typically the full price of the employer's policy. For example, if my wife left her job, COBRA coverage for just her and I would cost about $1,500 / mo. and I believe you can do that for up to 18 mos. That price is expensive because it is a great plan with great benefits. We pay only a fraction of that amount while she works there because her employer pays the balance as a benefit.

You can also buy private insurance on an exchange if you lose your job instead of electing COBRA. The prices and options vary based on location and which insurers sell there, as well as age (if over 50 I think). But they can range from the low hundreds per month for a plan with lower benefits and less desirable network of providers to over $2,000 / mo. for a plan with better benefits and more robust network. (I don't refer to private insurance as Obamacare as it has always existed and because I think of Obamacare as something subsidized by the government for lower income people.)
      01-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #64
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

So it's a mortgage, you need to onboard a second mortgage effectively.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00
      01-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #65
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like I can stop dreaming of retiring there.
Just need to know what you are getting into there. There are red surrounding areas close enough to enjoy what you like in Asheville (restaurants, etc.) but far enough away to not be impacted. It isn't quite the same experience as being in the city, but it is close.

Our condo is in downtown Asheville and our primary residence in FL is in the suburbs. They couldn't be more opposite. We like visiting Asheville and spending some time there, but prefer where we are in FL as a permanent residence.
///MPhatic13538.50
      01-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #66
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
My wife is a physician. If you're sick with covid, you're not able to go to work for 10 days. I've not heard of anywhere allowing covid+ people to be able to go to work in healthcare.
This is what I was referring to:
https://globalnews.ca/news/8477772/p...re-staff-work/

Then there is old Australia there (but from the Guardian, so not sure as to validity of source):
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...fing-shortages

I just personally find this decision to be very odd and not logical.

Quote:
This seems obvious but those in healthcare that are vaccinated are obviously less likely to get sick vs those that are unvaccinated, which decreases chances of an outbreak in a clinic/hospital.
I'd certainly agree that those vaccinated should be less likely to transmit for the same period of time (but they can still transmit, just should be a shorter time frame correct?), but still - wouldn't you prefer a worker who did NOT have COVID and was unvaccinated, rather than a worker who was vaccinated but ALSO had COVID at that particular time they were attending to you? I know I would...feels like my risk is lessened.

Quote:
I don't feel sorry for anyone that chooses to be unvaccinated (for whatever reason) that gets laid off, no matter what the job.
Out of curiosity - would you also not feel sorry for anyone then that needed medical attention but couldn't be seen because there was a shortage of physicians / nurses because the government / hospitals told some doctors and nurses that they couldn't work anymore because they chose bodily autonomy over policy? Because I believe these doctors / nurses are willing to work...can't blame them right? It is policy. So would you get upset at the government / hospitals then?
Appreciate 0