BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

09-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
slampert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX50

Length of Rear Cargo Area

Anyone know the length of the rear cargo area measured from the back of the front seats to the hatch ?

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #2
slampert
Private First Class
Rep

Answered my own question.... All cargo dimensions are given in Bjorn Nyland's review here:

Looks like about 2M depth.....
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
rstu
Rep
Drives: X3 30D G01, 135i E88, 218d GT

Can anyone explain why the trunk is so narrow compared to the width of the car?
carwidth about 1977mm
luggage compartment width about 1100mm
means 43cm thick walls at the back ? ?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstu View Post
Can anyone explain why the trunk is so narrow compared to the width of the car?
carwidth about 1977mm
luggage compartment width about 1100mm
means 43cm thick walls at the back ? ?
Most BMWs are designed like this.
They prefer to have vertical side walls in the cargo area, rather than maximizing the width with the rear wheel well visible and intruding.
And they used the space for various things like storage space, first aid kits, speakers, fuse box etc in different models.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
rstu
Rep
Drives: X3 30D G01, 135i E88, 218d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Most BMWs are designed like this.
They prefer to have vertical side walls in the cargo area, rather than maximizing the width with the rear wheel well visible and intruding.
And they used the space for various things like storage space, first aid kits, speakers, fuse box etc in different models.
I do not think I agree. I have had
in recent years had
E39, E88, E91, F26, F11 F31, G01

and all of these have had room for golf clubs behind the wheel arches. In the iX this no longer seems to work without placing the clubs diagonally
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      01-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
slampert
Private First Class
Rep

I revived this thread since a number of people are speculating on the size of the cargo area. I don't think its changed since this was posted....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #7
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
For anyone who don't want to hunt for the values...
depth with seat folded 1.950M
depth with seat up 1.00M
width: 1.1M
height (highest area before the sloping roof): .72M

Is it just me or there is no way to open the side panels of this thing?
My X5 has a first aid kit slot that can be opened to be able to fit a golf bag horizontally in the trunk... And some dug in area that makes the width a bit larger... I don't see this on the IX
Appreciate 1
slampert159.00
      03-03-2022, 08:48 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I'm reviving this thread to get some input from owners and those that have hands on experience with the iX.

Is the cargo area really as small as it appears in video? My wife is coming out of a 958 Cayenne (previous gen) and in watching the video, she's quite disappointed by the seemingly small cargo area on the iX.

By the measurements it doesn't seem that small. But looking at it, it looks underwhelming. The current X5 (and Cayenne for that matter) both have cargo areas bigger than hers. I'm probably ok with staying the same size. She's gotten past the looks and even the prospect of having a second EV...but she can't get past the cargo size.

I'm glad it's coming to town in two weeks. Looking forward to seeing it in person and hoping I can convince her to come along and see it and compare to her Cayenne. I think I can since that's our kids spring break and she's taking off the days that the cars are in town and we have no plans.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I'm reviving this thread to get some input from owners and those that have hands on experience with the iX.

Is the cargo area really as small as it appears in video? My wife is coming out of a 958 Cayenne (previous gen) and in watching the video, she's quite disappointed by the seemingly small cargo area on the iX.

By the measurements it doesn't seem that small. But looking at it, it looks underwhelming. The current X5 (and Cayenne for that matter) both have cargo areas bigger than hers. I'm probably ok with staying the same size. She's gotten past the looks and even the prospect of having a second EV...but she can't get past the cargo size.

I'm glad it's coming to town in two weeks. Looking forward to seeing it in person and hoping I can convince her to come along and see it and compare to her Cayenne. I think I can since that's our kids spring break and she's taking off the days that the cars are in town and we have no plans.
It *is* definitely smaller than the X5 and I think the relatively small boot space is the biggest downside of the iX. However, I went into it comparing it to the Landrover Defender as that was what we almost bought a couple of months ago. As a result, I was a bit disappointed with the boot space after my first test drive as I felt it was a *lot* smaller than the Defender, which I had expected. I forgot to bring my tape measure though.

When I went back for a second test drive with my wife, she pointed out that it was bigger than our current car's (a Land Rover Freelander 2) and I was surprised to see she was right. I think it looks a bit smaller than it actually is because of how flat the sides are and the sloping rear door. The flat area of the rear boot is bigger than you think and after looking at my photos of the Defender, the area is actually bigger in the iX (about 1.15 m^2 compared to about 1 m^2) but the Defender's is obviously *much* taller.

On my first visit, I also briefly looked into an X3 and the boot in that felt considerably smaller despite having a roughly similar total volume. From pictures I've seen online, I think the X3 has a ~1 m^2 cargo area.

So the iX's boot space is a downside but it's not quite as bad as I'd initially anticipated. What *is* really stupid though, is the rear parcel shelf. It's solid and there's nowhere to put it inside the car when not in use so practically, I'm going to have to store that somewhere in my house because we'll occasionally want to put our dogs in there or things that are taller than the shelf. I wish they'd gone with a retractable one or made it fold so that it could be stored in the flat space beneath the cargo floor.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6355.50
Paladin15456.00
      03-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
It *is* definitely smaller than the X5 and I think the relatively small boot space is the biggest downside of the iX. However, I went into it comparing it to the Landrover Defender as that was what we almost bought a couple of months ago. As a result, I was a bit disappointed with the boot space after my first test drive as I felt it was a *lot* smaller than the Defender, which I had expected. I forgot to bring my tape measure though.

When I went back for a second test drive with my wife, she pointed out that it was bigger than our current car's (a Land Rover Freelander 2) and I was surprised to see she was right. I think it looks a bit smaller than it actually is because of how flat the sides are and the sloping rear door. The flat area of the rear boot is bigger than you think and after looking at my photos of the Defender, the area is actually bigger in the iX (about 1.15 m^2 compared to about 1 m^2) but the Defender's is obviously *much* taller.

On my first visit, I also briefly looked into an X3 and the boot in that felt considerably smaller despite having a roughly similar total volume. From pictures I've seen online, I think the X3 has a ~1 m^2 cargo area.

So the iX's boot space is a downside but it's not quite as bad as I'd initially anticipated. What *is* really stupid though, is the rear parcel shelf. It's solid and there's nowhere to put it inside the car when not in use so practically, I'm going to have to store that somewhere in my house because we'll occasionally want to put our dogs in there or things that are taller than the shelf. I wish they'd gone with a retractable one or made it fold so that it could be stored in the flat space beneath the cargo floor.
Roger on the parcel shelf. And more frustrating is that the flat space immediately forward (towards the front), under the cargo floor, almost fits the cover right now, and with just a (seemingly) minor tweak in upholstery design could accommodate the shelf (and this space is fairly useless for anything else - couple of inches deep and nearly the width of the car). It might hold a few pizza boxes, or several of your old Beatles albums, or maybe your Frizbee collection when you walk your dog.
Appreciate 3
Needsdecaf6355.50
PhilD165.50
ggalanis2354.00
      03-03-2022, 05:21 PM   #11
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Roger on the parcel shelf. And more frustrating is that the flat space immediately forward (towards the front), under the cargo floor, almost fits the cover right now, and with just a (seemingly) minor tweak in upholstery design could accommodate the shelf (and this space is fairly useless for anything else - couple of inches deep and nearly the width of the car). It might hold a few pizza boxes, or several of your old Beatles albums, or maybe your Frizbee collection when you walk your dog.
Maybe some third party will be able to make something that can replace it and is collapsible. It's daft as it is.
Appreciate 2
Paladin15456.00
Needsdecaf6355.50
      03-03-2022, 10:29 PM   #12
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:

By the measurements it doesn't seem that small. But looking at it, it looks underwhelming. The current X5 (and Cayenne for that matter) both have cargo areas bigger than hers.
The videos make the trunk look very narrow, but in reality the trunk is not that narrow and is in fact the same width as the X5 trunk.

I had compared the trunk to my X5 and had this to say in an old post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
For sure it is going to be less practical than an X5 trunk for hauling large items/boxes. I was pleasantly surprised that it was as wide as my X5 trunk and as deep. We measured 44 inches wide, 41.5 inches deep in the center, a little less as you move to the sides, and about 29 inches in height at best but in an irregular shape (measured to the roof with the trunk divider thing removed). There is a 4 inch difference with the X5 in terms of height and the X5 trunk is more square. This was fine for us to have our roadtrip layout with our suitcases in the trunk with a tunnel in the middle for the dog to be in the ski pass area, which was what I was hoping for.
When I said the X5 trunk is more square, I meant the top part that is irregularly shaped in the iX mainly due to where the hinges for the trunk are. Most of the difference with an X5 trunk is that height difference.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6355.50
Paladin15456.00
      03-04-2022, 07:48 AM   #13
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Similarly, the PHEV version of the X5 has less height in the boot due to a higher floor to accommodate the batteries. My 2018 X5 40e has a smaller boot than its ICE cousin, but practically speaking there's no impact on day to day use unless I were to try to pack it to the roof. The ICE version of my car has a 650 liter boot and my boot space is 500 liters, the same relative sizing between the X5 and IX. Based on my experience over the last four years, I'm not overly concerned that the IX boot won't be sufficient since the full height is rarely if ever used. I don't like the rigid parcel shelf with no in-car storage, but that's a different issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 08:31 AM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
The videos make the trunk look very narrow, but in reality the trunk is not that narrow and is in fact the same width as the X5 trunk.

I had compared the trunk to my X5 and had this to say in an old post:

When I said the X5 trunk is more square, I meant the top part that is irregularly shaped in the iX mainly due to where the hinges for the trunk are. Most of the difference with an X5 trunk is that height difference.
Thanks! I was wondering about this, because I went and compared Autogefuhl videos where Thomas takes measurements of the boot floor, and the height to the window "belt line" and the iX and X5 were nearly identical. Sounds like you're missing the upper box section of the cargo area, where the iX leans more X6 than X5. Which, to be honest, is probably ok for us.

I will see in a few weeks, and be sure to bring my measuring tape.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2354.00
      03-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #15
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Thanks! I was wondering about this, because I went and compared Autogefuhl videos where Thomas takes measurements of the boot floor, and the height to the window "belt line" and the iX and X5 were nearly identical. Sounds like you're missing the upper box section of the cargo area, where the iX leans more X6 than X5. Which, to be honest, is probably ok for us.

I will see in a few weeks, and be sure to bring my measuring tape.
In pics of the side profile, the iX trunk doesn't look any less boxy than the X5 but it sure felt more like the X4 trunk to me when we saw the car at the dealer, but given my limited time with the car, maybe I am wrong about that.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 09:49 AM   #16
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

My first impression of the IX boot was that it's way smaller than my X5. Then I realized that the looks are somewhat deceiving - the full width hatch and resulting sloping cut-away make it look smaller. The hatch has a large concave area that forms part of the actual boot space when it's closed. If you were inside the car with the hatch closed, you'd see that the actual enclosed boot space extends past the hatch cut-away line into the concave hatch area. It still ends up being smaller than an X5 ICE boot (650 liters), but the same size as an X5 PHEV boot (500 liters) even though visually it looks relatively smaller with the hatch open.
Appreciate 3
ggalanis2354.00
Needsdecaf6355.50
Paladin15456.00
      03-07-2022, 10:59 AM   #17
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
My first impression of the IX boot was that it's way smaller than my X5. Then I realized that the looks are somewhat deceiving - the full width hatch and resulting sloping cut-away make it look smaller. The hatch has a large concave area that forms part of the actual boot space when it's closed. If you were inside the car with the hatch closed, you'd see that the actual enclosed boot space extends past the hatch cut-away line into the concave hatch area. It still ends up being smaller than an X5 ICE boot (650 liters), but the same size as an X5 PHEV boot (500 liters) even though visually it looks relatively smaller with the hatch open.
I see what you're saying. The rear hatch is a bit of a 'bubble' and you can load cargo past the actual body opening and still have the hatch closed.

Thanks for providing this.
Appreciate 0