Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-29-2021, 03:54 AM   #1
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Probably a dumb question…. any portable charging option ?

Greetings….I am from a bygone age, currently driving a G20 330i (which I love) on dinosaur juice in the UK.

The i4 interests me enormously as it appears to have a decent range (albeit 98% of my journeys are less than 50 miles) and a decent size boot (unlike the G20). Not that I have actually been able to see an i4 yet…..nor has my main dealer!

The question I have is - I believe that charging can be achieved without a dedicated ‘wall box’ direct from a standard house supply but it is very slow…is there a portable charging option that say, for instance, I could use to recharge at a friends house that does not have a dedicated charging point?

As you may have gathered I am new to the world of Ev, so please be gentle with me, I am a BMW driver so my ego is easily damaged…

Thanks in anticipation….
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
motzus
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50 (ordered)

The i4 comes with a portable charger that supports both 120V and 240V.

Quote:
INCLUDED WITH YOUR ALL-ELECTRIC BMW
Flexible Fast Charger for home and on-the-go charging
A versatile solution for charging at home or on the go, the Flexible Fast Charger is compatible with any 120V household outlet and 240V outlet (adapters included). At 240V, it achieves a 9.6 kw charging speed comparable to the BMW Wallbox.

Please note that a 240V outlet requires professional installation which can be facilitated by our trusted partner Qmerit.
You might need some adapters to get the plug to work with the style of outlet that you have. The other issue is how much current can the outlet supply. If you do the math 9.6KW and 240V is 40amps. In the USA at least 40 amp circuits are not common. 40 amp circuits are reserved for dryers, electric stoves, HVAC systems. I think that the i4 allows you to dial down the charging power in the control screen to charge on lower power circuits. But that would increase your charging time. BMW says it will take around 12 hours to fully charge the car at full power. You'd only probably want to do this if you are parked somewhere overnight.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      12-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by motzus View Post

You might need some adapters to get the plug to work with the style of outlet that you have. The other issue is how much current can the outlet supply. If you do the math 9.6KW and 240V is 40amps. In the USA at least 40 amp circuits are not common. 40 amp circuits are reserved for dryers, electric stoves, HVAC systems. I think that the i4 allows you to dial down the charging power in the control screen to charge on lower power circuits. But that would increase your charging time. BMW says it will take around 12 hours to fully charge the car at full power. You'd only probably want to do this if you are parked somewhere overnight.
I would add that in a friend's house the circuit is likely already being used for other purposes. So using a 240 outlet might blow out the circuit.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      12-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #4
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I would add that in a friend's house the circuit is likely already being used for other purposes. So using a 240 outlet might blow out the circuit.
Thanks for the info…it’s all new to me!

Uk power outlets are generally on a 13amp breaker with things like electric ovens and hobs on separate 30amp breakers.

If I understand correctly I can use a spare in the consumer unit, put a 30amp breaker in and use that via a dedicated outlet.

Early stages of range anxiety for me I think
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motzus View Post

Thank you…
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Thanks for the info…it’s all new to me!

Uk power outlets are generally on a 13amp breaker with things like electric ovens and hobs on separate 30amp breakers.

If I understand correctly I can use a spare in the consumer unit, put a 30amp breaker in and use that via a dedicated outlet.

Early stages of range anxiety for me I think
UK uses a 230V system correct for ovens and such? If so, the resulting max kW for charging would be calculated as such:

230volts x 30amps x .001 = 7.2kW charging
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      12-31-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Presumably you need a dedicated circuit. so you need to determine if your friends have enough amps in their electrical systems to support the necessary dedicated circuit.

Here in the US, I had 200 amp capacity. My wife wanted to swim in the winter so I installed a heat pump at the pool; my electrician had to install a new ecu at 225 amps (I wanted 400 amps but he would have had to dig a tunnel in my front lawn to bring in another circuit from the street to do that). When I wanted to install a charger for my 530e phev, the electrician had to rearrange my ecu and squeezed out an extra 20 amps for a dedicated circuit. But that is all he said I could get without, again, tunneling under my lawn.

So...do they have enough capacity to do that.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 04:08 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Exciting times Andy.

The prospect of charging at a friends house to me assumes it's a casual charge using the supplied 3 pin cable. That will take some time to add any meaningful range. I'd think at least a full 24hrs+ of charging.

At home of course in the U.K. you can charge at 7kw with a home charge (or add 3 phase to your supply and you can up to 22kw but there is little point, a nice overnight charge at 7kw is perfect t for your battery).

For the U.K. the ideal seems to be:-

Garage or driveway
Home set up on decent EV tariff
7kw home charger box
Charge overnight

Most full BEV users then achieve their cars range 250-350 miles for about £7-12 depending upon tariff's.

Good luck but for a casual stop at a friends you won't get much sorry from a few hours stop with a 3 pin 'granny charger' cable
Attached Images

01-02-2022, 04:41 AM   #9
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Exciting times Andy.

The prospect of charging at a friends house to me assumes it's a casual charge using the supplied 3 pin cable. That will take some time to add any meaningful range. I'd think at least a full 24hrs+ of charging.

At home of course in the U.K. you can charge at 7kw with a home charge (or add 3 phase to your supply and you can up to 22kw but there is little point, a nice overnight charge at 7kw is perfect t for your battery).

For the U.K. the ideal seems to be:-

Garage or driveway
Home set up on decent EV tariff
7kw home charger box
Charge overnight

Most full BEV users then achieve their cars range 250-350 miles for about £7-12 depending upon tariff's.

Good luck but for a casual stop at a friends you won't get much sorry from a few hours stop with a 3 pin 'granny charger' cable
Thanks for all the responses.

I have range anxiety and I don’t even have an EV yet

As an aside, while not the prettiest thing this looks exciting,,,,EV with the addition of solar cover most of my journeys.

https://sonomotors.com/en/sion/
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:11 PM   #10
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

If I couldn't charge overnight where I live, I would never own an EV. But if you do have that ability, it makes an EV extremely convenient for most cases since you never have to go to a gas station.

For longer trips, public fast charging is the only viable option. There is no way you will want to wait 6-8 hours to charge at a friend's house or anywhere else. This is where I am really not so sure with the i4. The Tesla Supercharger network is great, or at least good. For that reason, I don't get range anxiety with Tesla. I know the worst case is that I will be delayed for an hour to charge. I'm not sure that the charging network for non-Tesla EV's is good enough at this point. The i4 range is very adequate, but the lack of public charging stations and the complexity of finding them makes trip planning that much more difficult. I did a quick search in my area and I can find public charging stations.. with only 3 available fast chargers. Will one of them be open when I get there? I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 02:33 PM   #11
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
If I couldn't charge overnight where I live, I would never own an EV. But if you do have that ability, it makes an EV extremely convenient for most cases since you never have to go to a gas station.

For longer trips, public fast charging is the only viable option. There is no way you will want to wait 6-8 hours to charge at a friend's house or anywhere else. This is where I am really not so sure with the i4. The Tesla Supercharger network is great, or at least good. For that reason, I don't get range anxiety with Tesla. I know the worst case is that I will be delayed for an hour to charge. I'm not sure that the charging network for non-Tesla EV's is good enough at this point. The i4 range is very adequate, but the lack of public charging stations and the complexity of finding them makes trip planning that much more difficult. I did a quick search in my area and I can find public charging stations.. with only 3 available fast chargers. Will one of them be open when I get there? I have no idea.
The i4 has an integrated trip planner that will help identify charging stations and optimize your trip for charging.

Or at least that what is claimed.
      01-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #12
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 335i, on order: i4 M50

Quote:
I'm not sure that the charging network for non-Tesla EV's is good enough at this point. The i4 range is very adequate, but the lack of public charging stations and the complexity of finding them makes trip planning that much more difficult. I did a quick search in my area and I can find public charging stations.. with only 3 available fast chargers. Will one of them be open when I get there? I have no idea.
For road trips, you want Electrify America. It's not a problem in California. Use this link to find them: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/ There are a dozen L3 chargers in the south bay alone.

On the last road trip I took (on I-5, I-58, and I-15), I stopped at every EA charge station to see if getting an i4 would be a mistake. With one exception, all were operational and not more than half were in use. That one exception was annoying to discover, but EVgo was also there, and with one of their currently rare 350KW chargers.

FWIW, Tesla superchargers were frequently nearby, and around 50% of those were in use at any given time (though there were a lot more of them).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 03:55 PM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc42 View Post
For road trips, you want Electrify America. It's not a problem in California. Use this link to find them: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/ There are a dozen L3 chargers in the south bay alone.

On the last road trip I took (on I-5, I-58, and I-15), I stopped at every EA charge station to see if getting an i4 would be a mistake. With one exception, all were operational and not more than half were in use. That one exception was annoying to discover, but EVgo was also there, and with one of their currently rare 350KW chargers.

FWIW, Tesla superchargers were frequently nearby, and around 50% of those were in use at any given time (though there were a lot more of them).
Today, on the way to running an errant, I decided to stop by the closest EA location to my house (4 miles). There were no cars parked there.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 05:46 PM   #14
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the pointer.

Every charging location I click on shows 2 or 3 CCS ports. With Tesla there are usually 12 or 20 or some much higher number. Maybe there aren't so many "other" EV's on the road so EA charging stations can get away with such few chargers per location?

The local public chargers don't matter too much since I always charge at home. It's the longer routes where I would be looking for the charging infrastructure. Hopefully the BMW trip planner makes charging on the go as easy as Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 06:11 PM   #15
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer.

Every charging location I click on shows 2 or 3 CCS ports. With Tesla there are usually 12 or 20 or some much higher number. Maybe there aren't so many "other" EV's on the road so EA charging stations can get away with such few chargers per location?

The local public chargers don't matter too much since I always charge at home. It's the longer routes where I would be looking for the charging infrastructure. Hopefully the BMW trip planner makes charging on the go as easy as Tesla.
There are far more Teslas; that is part of it. They need more chargers. In Baker, CA, Tesla has 40 chargers, and I saw more than half in use. EVgo had 6 and none were in use (this is where they have 150KW and higher chargers--but half are still 50KW). EA was out of commission (and surrounded by a chain-link fence, but their website said it was available!)

The usefulness of the BMW trip planner is questionable at this time. For the i3/i8, it only showed EVgo, which BMW had a relationship with. EVgo is not present on major interstates like I-5. They're mostly in shopping centers not near highways, and they're usually limited to 50KW. They are set up to handle the plug-in hybrids and low range BEVs that dominated the market not so long ago.

The i4/iX page on bmwusa.com used to promote EVgo as well (get $100 credit with purchase of a new car!), but that has been changed to "stay tuned." What that means remains to be seen. Hopefully, it means something involving Electrify America.

But one huge advantage of EVgo over Electrify America is that they can tell you which chargers are in use, which are out of order, or how much power each charger can provide. EA does not.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 07:51 PM   #16
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There are far more Teslas; that is part of it. They need more chargers. In Baker, CA, Tesla has 40 chargers, and I saw more than half in use. EVgo had 6 and none were in use (this is where they have 150KW and higher chargers--but half are still 50KW). EA was out of commission (and surrounded by a chain-link fence, but their website said it was available!)

The usefulness of the BMW trip planner is questionable at this time. For the i3/i8, it only showed EVgo, which BMW had a relationship with. EVgo is not present on major interstates like I-5. They're mostly in shopping centers not near highways, and they're usually limited to 50KW. They are set up to handle the plug-in hybrids and low range BEVs that dominated the market not so long ago.

The i4/iX page on bmwusa.com used to promote EVgo as well (get $100 credit with purchase of a new car!), but that has been changed to "stay tuned." What that means remains to be seen. Hopefully, it means something involving Electrify America.

But one huge advantage of EVgo over Electrify America is that they can tell you which chargers are in use, which are out of order, or how much power each charger can provide. EA does not.
Makes sense. Given the low 50KW of EVgo, I think there is no choice but to go with Electrify America. Based on what you said though, the EA charging infrastructure is acceptable enough that it may be OK for the i4. For long trips I still use a gas SUV so the charging infrastructure is more about peace of mind, knowing that I won't be stranded if I mess up. As far as the car itself, the BMW appeals more than Tesla. But I may be a bad environmental person and opt for the M3 until the charging infrastructure is better..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 08:11 PM   #17
jeffc42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense. Given the low 50KW of EVgo, I think there is no choice but to go with Electrify America. Based on what you said though, the EA charging infrastructure is acceptable enough that it may be OK for the i4. For long trips I still use a gas SUV so the charging infrastructure is more about peace of mind, knowing that I won't be stranded if I mess up. As far as the car itself, the BMW appeals more than Tesla. But I may be a bad environmental person and opt for the M3 until the charging infrastructure is better..
My conclusion is that it's "good enough." Hence why I pre-ordered an i4. And it'll only get better.
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive461.00
      01-07-2022, 04:18 AM   #18
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

An interesting piece of trivia for all my friends in America - up until 1912 (or thereabouts) it was a requirement that as each ‘block’ in New York was built that electric car charging points had to be installed. Up until that time internal combustion, steam and electric powered cars were more or less equally popular, with electric cars being marketed mainly to the fairer sex as they did not require manly activities like hand cranking the engine or stoking the fire. ICE became the dominant force when Cadillac introduced the first reliable electric starter motor.

Interesting how the wheel has turned full circle!
Appreciate 1
Haywood3098.50
      01-07-2022, 12:28 PM   #19
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Hi Andy - have a play with https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ - it lets you play with routes and charge planning in the UK. It has the BMW i4 as alpha so not fully up to date, but you can use advanced mode to set consumption.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 06:22 PM   #20
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
BMW is currently in the process of revamping their charging programs, so I hope that means 3 free years of charging on either EVGo or EA.

I've stopped by all of the stations I would normally use on my long road trips in Florida, they all are active, rarely used, so Happy to see that. I also have a city-based free 350kw charging station near me, and the EVgo is also 350kW near me in the even I need to fast charge.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #21
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
BMW is currently in the process of revamping their charging programs, so I hope that means 3 free years of charging on either EVGo or EA.

I've stopped by all of the stations I would normally use on my long road trips in Florida, they all are active, rarely used, so Happy to see that. I also have a city-based free 350kw charging station near me, and the EVgo is also 350kW near me in the even I need to fast charge.

How would that work since you normally have to pay with an app or a credit card? Did they do that for the i8 or i3?
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 03:48 PM   #22
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

How would that work since you normally have to pay with an app or a credit card? Did they do that for the i8 or i3?
I want to say with EA (I have to check with my buddy who has this on his ID.4) , it's linked based on the initial registration from the dealer into EA's network during the pick-up/registration process similar to how the dealer registers you for BMWConnect. Once you plug the vehicle in, there is information shared between the vehicle and EA (I presume the VIN), and it just charges automatically.

From the EA ap, you can still view stats, and I believe even the "charge" $$ amount is shown on the ap, even though you aren't charged for it. I have to verify the last piece though, this was in passing from months ago when I was looking into EV vehicles and reached out to my bud with the ID.4.

@Ken7 may be able to answer this better since he has a E-Tron and has EA experience.
Appreciate 1
Haywood3098.50