Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-17-2022, 09:07 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

BMW i4 v Tesla Model 3 REVIEW with 0-60mph test [Carwow]

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7835.00
stein_325i25067.50
      01-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

After two minutes of watching it became clear that Mat Watson strongly favors the Tesla. The whole video seems ridiculously one-sided.
Appreciate 3
      01-17-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
His review seems different vs others, he mentions that the BMW puts down its power right away whereas the Tesla is more of a "wave" whereas others mentioned the opposite

Nonetheless, it was a fair review, an area that I didn't agree with though:

- efficiency, he's comparing what could be 15,000+ miles of data on the Tesla's OBO to get the miles/kWh whereas the BMW hasn't logged as many miles. I wish he would have done a range test based on both current drives to be more objective.

We know the BMW won't get as much range with the 20" wheel as the Tesla apples-to-apples, but the 186 vs 265 miles I would say that the BMW needs to be as seasoned in miles/weather to compare equally.

Otherwise the rest of the review was objective, I don't feel he was being biased. The acceleration times out of the M50 shouldn't be surprising, both were slower than normal due to surface temp grips, but he said the M50 struggled more for traction using its launch control, hence a slower than expected 0-60 time.

Last edited by spool twice; 01-17-2022 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      01-17-2022, 01:15 PM   #4
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
After two minutes of watching it became clear that Mat Watson strongly favors the Tesla. The whole video seems ridiculously one-sided.
Maybe because it's a better car?

The BMW is certainly a better looking car in and out (subjectively), but it's heavier than the Model S for cryin' out loud (nevermind the Model 3 it's being compared with) and has limited room for rear-seat passengers to boot.

I guess if you don't really care about handling/performance and just want something more plush that looks nice, then the i4 would be the choice here . . . but that's not typically BMW's demographic, at least for cars with a pseudo M badge on them.

I'm sure they'll do better when they move off CLAR and into the NK1 platform with the sixth gen batteries, but this was just a half-hearted attempt to get into the luxury EV space. It's not necessarily the wrong choice either, because there's a big market for people who want an EV but hate Tesla, but there's a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited by Dethsupp0rt; 01-17-2022 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #5
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post

The BMW is certainly a better looking car in and out (subjectively), but it's heavier than the Model S for cryin' out loud (nevermind the Model 3 it's being compared with) and has limited room for rear-seat passengers to boot.

I guess if you don't really care about handling/performance and just want something more plush that looks nice, then the i4 would be the choice here . . . but that's not typically BMW's demographic, at least for cars with a pseudo M badge on them.

I'm sure they'll do better when they move off CLAR and into the NK1 platform with the sixth gen batteries, but this was just a half-hearted attempt to get into the luxury EV space. It's not necessarily the wrong choice either, because there's a big market for people who want an EV but hate Tesla, but there's a lot of catching up to do.
No, I disagree. BMW i4 is the better car. It comes equipped with rare luxury amenities such as an instrument cluster, Apple CarPlay, numerous physical buttons and radar sensors, and even non-peeling paint, and you can choose an interior color that is not black or white. BMW i4 also looks like a vehicle you don’t mind to own, unlike the Tesla Model 3 that looks like a plastic toy frog from Walmart.
Appreciate 4
cfm56d7b5876.00
Germanauto9698.00
Ken732.00
      01-17-2022, 03:12 PM   #6
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:

No, it’s because Matt has bought Tesla model 3 for his mother just recently… he can’t judge these cars as normal person would do. Otherwise, what’d he tell his mum ?
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      01-17-2022, 03:40 PM   #7
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
I agree.

He claims Tesla has better tech and mentioned the recorder and the I4 has that for $100. But the i4 has a guage cluster and HUD. Nope for Tesla.

Don't get me started about thing like adaptive regen, etc. that Tesla doesn't have. I don't care about voice control. The ergonomics of a Tesla are bad. Look to the center for everything.

He talks about how the Tesla is bouncy, etc but claims it's better than the i4. He says the i4 is vague but does really do anything in sport mode

He complains about turning radius?
He complains about a frunk but the i4 has more space.

He is definitely partial to the Tesla but hey, he can be partial to whatever.

Lastly a Tesla is not a premium brand. They don't have the fit, finish and quality.

Did you see the story where a model 3 didn't have the brake caliper fully loaded and the tech told the customer the noise was normal?

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/01/te...ounded-normal/
      01-17-2022, 05:30 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Quote:

No, I disagree. BMW i4 is the better car. It comes equipped with rare luxury amenities such as an instrument cluster, Apple CarPlay, numerous physical buttons and radar sensors, and even non-peeling paint, and you can choose an interior color that is not black or white. BMW i4 also looks like a vehicle you don’t mind to own, unlike the Tesla Model 3 that looks like a plastic toy frog from Walmart.
Could not agree more. While i4 will only get better in subsequent production years, it does come with brake pads as a standard feature in the current form.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      01-18-2022, 04:05 AM   #9
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Yup, he lost credibility on the styling when he thought the rear of Tesla with its cheap tail lights looked better. The i4 looks sporty and expensive compared to the duck hat shaped rear end of the Tesla. It does not look like a 911, lol. Not to mention Teslas are as common as flies around here.. Definitely some bias there.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      01-18-2022, 05:53 AM   #10
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Styling is personal preference, like most comparison tests are. I'm more interested in final numbers from other publications that show more objective data, but his video's are great nonetheless and enjoyable to watch regardless of which car he chooses.

I'm still dumbfounded on how he can't figure out the voice command system, BMW has had one of the best in the industry since i-drive 5.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Yup, he lost credibility on the styling when he thought the rear of Tesla with its cheap tail lights looked better. The i4 looks sporty and expensive compared to the duck hat shaped rear end of the Tesla. It does not look like a 911, lol. Not to mention Teslas are as common as flies around here.. Definitely some bias there.
He also said that Tesla’s entry level 18 inch alloy wheels “look good” whereas BMW’s entry level wheels apparently don’t. LOL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:15 AM   #12
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He also said that Tesla’s entry level 18 inch alloy wheels “look good” whereas BMW’s entry level wheels apparently don’t. LOL.
The wheel looks fine, you're showing a hubcap.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:10 AM   #13
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I know it's a plastic cover, but BMW wheels look way better. In my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:34 PM   #14
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Aren't you supposed to leave them in place?
      01-18-2022, 02:52 PM   #15
chadkoepf
Private
Rep
Drives: tesla 3

he lost me when he said the tesla entertainment system is better. its the most garbe UI I've used since my early 200's chevy mini van. Literally nothing works. The way the radio station presets show up sometimes, and other times they don't. the fact that SOMETIMES the steering wheel buttons change stations and other times it doesn't. The fact that lately, when I put my blinker on or pu tthe car in reverse the subwoofer cuts out completely, and the tesla service guy said, "hmm thats weird, but I don't know why" and wouldn't/couldn't fix it.

I've been driving at the screen has just decided to reboot, leaving me for a few minutes having no idea how fast I'm going or anything since it's all tied to that one screen.

There is an echo when using the bluetooth that is unbearable. If you look online, people just say "well I prefer to hold the phone anyway". anything to explain away the short comings of tesla.

I could go on and on, but I'm CERTAIN none of those problems exist on the BMW, and if they did, BMW would make sure they get fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 05:48 PM   #16
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Aren't you supposed to leave them in place?
Many people don't, because they look like ass (not nice ass either, like 150 pounds of chewed bubble gum ass).

I doubt it's that much of a range difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:32 AM   #17
Tim Callahan
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 quattro, E90 325iX

This ”review” was one of the most biased and ridiculous I have ever seen. Design is always subjective and the beauty is in the eyes of the watcher. Charging port that Carwow was craving for was reported totally horrible in wintery conditions by the recent 60.000km test of the most respected car magazine in my Scandinavian home country. Form does not always follow function.

If you want farting chairs and drive around in tight traffic circles then there is one clear winner. If you want quality, premium materials and comfortable ride then there is only one clear winner.

It is good to have options so everyone can choose the car that is most suitable for their own use cases and preferences.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7835.00
Germanauto9698.00
      01-19-2022, 12:59 PM   #18
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I agree that BMW launched a compromised EV since it is not on a pure EV platform. I understand why BMW took this route, it makes sense and I can't blame them. Only time will tell whether the market agrees.

Aside from that, the BMW is a far better car and it's not even close.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      01-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #19
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I agree that BMW launched a compromised EV since it is not on a pure EV platform. I understand why BMW took this route, it makes sense and I can't blame them. Only time will tell whether the market agrees.

Aside from that, the BMW is a far better car and it's not even close.
Correct. The i4 is actually is an electric car. Tesla is really just an electric appliance, admittedly an impressive one, and should therefore be sold at your local Best Buy.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9698.00
Miata1387.00
      01-23-2022, 01:22 PM   #20
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:
Correct. The i4 is actually is an electric car. Tesla is really just an electric appliance, admittedly an impressive one, and should therefore be sold at your local Best Buy.
Hmmm..that idea ( Teslas sold at local Best Buy stores) might address their sparse local dealership network!
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:17 PM   #21
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
A friend got a call from Tesla tow trunk guy last Monday for a same day home delivery of his ordered Y non-performance, but he declined as he was unprepared (no finance yet!) with no prior notice. He was told the VIN would be kept for him up to this weekend.

I need to follow up with him what happens to that VIN, but his Tesla buying experience so far looks similar to Best Buy.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      01-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #22
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
A friend got a call from Tesla tow trunk guy last Monday for a same day home delivery of his ordered Y non-performance, but he declined as he was unprepared (no finance yet!) with no prior notice. He was told the VIN would be kept for him up to this weekend.

I need to follow with him what happens to that VIN, but his Tesla buying experience so far looks similar to Best Buy.
insanity
Appreciate 0