BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches

07-18-2023, 07:41 PM   #1
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Online jewelry sellers

Sorry, not a watch question but I figure this crowd would have opinions. I searched this section of the site and didn't find a thread like this.

Does anyone have experience with online jewelry sellers, for example The Pearl Source (pearls) or Blue Nile (diamonds)?

Is the quality of the goods as described? Any scams? Any gotchas or pitfalls?

It seems quite simple: filter, sort, click, pay, wait for delivery, done.

Thanks for any comments, or suggestions to other sites focused on the jewelry-buying process.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:05 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I purchased my wife’s engagement ring and band from Blue Nile 16 years ago as well as a few other less expensive baubles over time. While the prices were pretty good, it was the selection that helped me select the appropriate size, cut, color and clarity I wanted on a wide selection of bands and materials. There was no way I could get what I did for the money as well as be a somewhat unique and special piece.

Since then, I purchased from diamondere and have been very pleased with their pieces. I purchased a very nice jewel encrusted barrel ring as a 60th birthday present. Everything has held up impeccably and have never needed service or anything like that. We have a small ultrasonic cleaner and that does a great job of keeping everything gleaming. The true test has been how happy my wife has been.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      07-18-2023, 08:08 PM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I purchased my wife’s engagement ring and band from Blue Nile 16 years ago as well as a few other less expensive baubles over time. While the prices were pretty good, it was the selection that helped me select the appropriate size, cut, color and clarity I wanted on a wide selection of bands and materials. There was no way I could get what I did for the money as well as be a somewhat unique and special piece.

Since then, I purchased from diamondere and have been very pleased with their pieces. I purchased a very nice jewel encrusted barrel ring as a 60th birthday present. Everything has held up impeccably and have never needed service or anything like that. We have a small ultrasonic cleaner and that does a great job of keeping everything gleaming. The true test has been how happy my wife has been.
Thanks. Were the stones as advertised/certified? Have you ever had the Blue Nile or diamondere items evaluated or appraised?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 08:47 PM   #4
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks. Were the stones as advertised/certified? Have you ever had the Blue Nile or diamondere items evaluated or appraised?
All GIA certified, yes. I haven’t actively tracked their independent values for some time, but last I checked, I would have had to pay double to replace so that’s what I insure for.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      11-27-2023, 09:06 PM   #5
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Closing the loop - Blue Nile purchase was successful and recipient is satisfied.
Appreciate 1
OtoPA362.50
      11-27-2023, 11:13 PM   #6
OtoPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F150, 23 M4, JD3038E

I just bought my wife's Christmas present recently. I looked at a bunch of sites, TNTC, and went with Blue Nile. Cost was good, web billing was easy. Delivery was able to be arranged to a FedEx pick-up (live out in the sticks) via overnight. I did not buy a 'made' ring, but a loose stone instead. (Lab, 2c, D, VVS1, very good cut, GIA) Buying her a ring mount would be like buying her a gun 'for her'. I let her choose...(learned that lesson long ago)

Last edited by OtoPA; 11-28-2023 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50