BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

12-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

BMW iX recently added to A Better Route Planner

While replying to a post on the X5 forums I checked their site and they somewhat recently added the iX to the list of cars you can use in their configuration to do EV route planning. The iX is in Alpha so YMMV.

If you've never used it before, essentially their planner allows for tons of configuration to get a realistic route for your trip and knows about more fast chargers than any other app I have tried so far (including PlugShare) on the routes I am likely to drive. You pick which car so that it bases it on that car's range and consumption, you can override it's reference consumption if you know your car is using more or less energy normally, you can set the speed you want to drive relative to the speed limit to match your normal preference, what state of charge you will start at, minimum state of charge for arriving at chargers, minimum for final destination, you can add stops along the way for food, or hotels, and more.

Anyway, you can play around on their site https://abetterrouteplanner.com and they have an app for your mobile device too. This can give you an idea of what it would be like to use your future iX for longer trips. When I had access to the iX at the dealer, whatever partner they are using in the navigation system to locate chargers was crap and could not see any of the fast chargers around my area. This might change between now and when we actually get cars here in Canada but I get the feeling I will be using ABRP for long trips instead.
Appreciate 0