Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

12-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #23
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

@Sportstick any interest in the Ioniq5? I think its a pretty cool and sleek looking crossover. While it is a crossover, it does fulfill many of your requirements, and is a dedicated EV unlike the GV70e.
Sportstick4651.00
      12-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
@Sportstick any interest in the Ioniq5? I think its a pretty cool and sleek looking crossover. While it is a crossover, it does fulfill many of your requirements, and is a dedicated EV unlike the GV70e.
Could be but need to check in person. The interior package may have some magic to it with that flat floor. Also the GV60, which is the Ioniq paltform-mate, but supposedly in-between size for Ioniq and GV70. Thanks!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #25
dani40
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4, 2015 BMW i3

Sportstick I sat in the back of the i4 here in Canada when they tour the car across dealers.

I'm 5'11" and I had enough headroom but I feel that is the limit, taller than me and you will be rubbing the headliner for sure.

It fell ok but not sure that I would enjoy a long ride in the back. My kids are toddlers so not a concern for me at the moment.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4651.00
      12-16-2021, 07:36 PM   #26
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

I may owe some apologies for dragging readers through my handwringing. I learned today that my dealer has one 430 GC, so I hopped into the 2 and zipped over. (Any reason, or none at all, will do for taking out the 6MT!). I adjusted the driver manual seat (!) and then sat my 6'2" self down in the back. Check the photos. The first legroom shot is with my preferred driver seat position. The second legroom shot is with a tolerable forward position. My knees never touched the seat, with that scalloped out seat back helping. Lastly, the headroom, with space for my hand to pass overhead. A sunroof delete would help, but I did not touch the headliner. I cannot explain why I found this compared to the kind advice I'd received, but it's better than I had feared. Perceptually, it feels tighter overall than the GT, but that is to be expected of course. Being the tallest in the family, although others are close behind, this seems like it could work. I may be back, but do want to be sure the $7500 tax credit will be in place. That is a lot to me.
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Ken732.00
      12-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #27
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

No apologies needed, many have the same concerns. Nice haircut, same as me. But with hair would be getting pretty close to the headliner :-). While your knees do not touch the back seat, legs are at a pretty sharp angle which may get uncomfortable for longer rides. I'm sure you will give it a test sit again before ordering. Of course realize, an order now may have a 9-12 month delivery date. I still do not have a production slot and I pre-ordered in Sept.

In regards to the rebate, with our politicians unable to get anything done, who knows what rules will be in effect when the car is delivered. If nothing gets passed, then the existing rules will stay which would make either i4 model good for the rebate. If they pass the current proposed, only the eDrive40 qualifies IF BMW drops the MSRP by $401.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:49 PM   #28
daswartz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xdrive, GT350

Thank you for those pictures. Way better than I thought.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4651.00
      12-18-2021, 08:00 PM   #29
Hansn
Private
Rep
Drives: E28 528i 1982 - G30 530e 2018

I got the same conclusions as you when i tried sitting in the car this friday.

Its not big and comfy, but its not so bad that i would think twice to ask someone to get in the back. I had a 3series GT rental once like 5 years ago, didnt try the rear seats but im guessing thats the size some people expect? Bigger than the standard 3series? I dont have alot of space in the back of my current G30, and i was expecting the i4 to be tighter and it is. But not so much that it makes the car useless for carrying adults.

Im 190cm. Dont expect it to be better than a 3 series sedan. But it works. 😁 Kids/teens should not complain. I always tell my daugther jokingly that SUVs are for old people that have problems getting out of low cars.. 😂 If they still need to ride with their parents they have nothing to complain about yet.. 😂 Their grandparents grew up with 2 adults and 3 kids in VW beetles in the 60s.. 😄

Last edited by Hansn; 12-18-2021 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:59 AM   #30
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

I have no idea why the GT was never popular - as an all rounder it was superb. I loved my 328GT for the massive interior space (the room in the back was amazing, more head and legroom than a7Series) and huge boot.

BMW built a brilliant car that wasn’t really appreciated!

And it had frameless windows and an automatic rear spoiler. Very cool!
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4651.00
      12-29-2021, 10:31 AM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
I have no idea why the GT was never popular - as an all rounder it was superb. I loved my 328GT for the massive interior space (the room in the back was amazing, more head and legroom than a7Series) and huge boot.

BMW built a brilliant car that wasn’t really appreciated!

And it had frameless windows and an automatic rear spoiler. Very cool!
I agree and continue to enjoy all of that about my current 330i GT. We had more people with us who again remarked how comfortable they were. I think I would love driving the i4, but for the specific purpose for this car, I think I'm going to have to continue the search. I put together some numbers I could find (some not yet available) using a stoplight scheme. Some too big/some too small. Going to try to get inside a Fisker Ocean at CES next week. Ioniq5 numbers were a surprise. Will need to check that out in person as well. Right now, the only one of my candidates with less space than the i4/Gran Coupe is the Polestar 2, so that is definitely out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 07:46 PM   #32
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I may owe some apologies for dragging readers through my handwringing. I learned today that my dealer has one 430 GC, so I hopped into the 2 and zipped over. (Any reason, or none at all, will do for taking out the 6MT!). I adjusted the driver manual seat (!) and then sat my 6'2" self down in the back. Check the photos. The first legroom shot is with my preferred driver seat position. The second legroom shot is with a tolerable forward position. My knees never touched the seat, with that scalloped out seat back helping. Lastly, the headroom, with space for my hand to pass overhead. A sunroof delete would help, but I did not touch the headliner. I cannot explain why I found this compared to the kind advice I'd received, but it's better than I had feared. Perceptually, it feels tighter overall than the GT, but that is to be expected of course. Being the tallest in the family, although others are close behind, this seems like it could work. I may be back, but do want to be sure the $7500 tax credit will be in place. That is a lot to me.
I went and checked a GC out today.

I'm about 5'7".
The first thing I noticed was how much bigger this car is than my E90 was. It's nearly a foot longer than an E90 and wider.

I checked and the dimensions are close to that of an E39 5 series.

That meant said, I adjusted the "manual" seat to where I comfortable them jumped in the rear.

While the roof is a bit cramped I had a lot more room than my E90. In that cat my knees would have been touching the seat or spread wide so that the middle would not be usable.

Better than my E90 but not as much room as my friends E60 M5.
      12-31-2021, 07:56 PM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post

I'm about 5'7".
The first thing I noticed was how much bigger this car is than my E90 was. It's nearly a foot longer than an E90 and wider.

That meant said, I adjusted the "manual" seat to where I comfortable them jumped in the rear.

While the roof is a bit cramped I had a lot more room than my E90. In that cat my knees would have been touching the seat or spread wide so that the middle would not be usable.

Seems this will be doable for you, and glad to know that.. I have about 7" more height to manage, my best friend also is my height, my son is 6'1"...we just have too many tall people, and then I also did that above cargo space comparison. If Fisker doesn't bail out of the show, I plan to sit in an Ocean at CES next week to see what I reserved (want photos?), but those numbers as well as Genesis GV70 EV will become my first two choices now. I had been hoping for another passenger car form factor like my 330i GT over a UV, but it seems not to be. Best wishes and hope you love the i4 you have coming!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:11 PM   #34
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:

I'm about 5'7".

Seems this will be doable for you, and glad to know that.. I have about 7" more height to manage, my best friend also is my height, my son is 6'1"...we just have too many tall people, and then I also did that above cargo space comparison. If Fisker doesn't bail out of the show, I plan to sit in an Ocean at CES next week to see what I reserved (want photos?), but those numbers as well as Genesis GV70 EV will become my first two choices now. I had been hoping for another passenger car form factor like my 330i GT over a UV, but it seems not to be. Best wishes and hope you love the i4 you have coming!
Input.mkney down on a Fisker Ocean for the wife.
      01-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #35
Ken7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi e-Tron

Quote:

I'm about 5'7".

You & I are the same height and when I adjusted the front seat for my position, the rear seat had good room for me. My taller friends? That’s their problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 03:07 PM   #36
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm about 5'7".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken7 View Post
You & I are the same height and when I adjusted the front seat for my position, the rear seat had good room for me.
I think you guys have proven Randy Newman is wrong.
Appreciate 2
Ken732.00
Miata1387.00