Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-14-2022, 04:57 PM   #23
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
My M4cs is similar, there is movement right away, but then there's more movement directly after. It's like the ECU is trying to make sure you're a smooth driver even when you don't want to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 05:39 PM   #24
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Interesting that his comments regarding the driving feel largely mirror what CAR magazine said... Not particularly inspiring as an enthusiast driver's car, but comfortable...

There's certainly space in the market for more than one approach though, so some will find that aspect of the car very appealing.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:16 PM   #25
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
Interesting that his comments regarding the driving feel largely mirror what CAR magazine said... Not particularly inspiring as an enthusiast driver's car, but comfortable...

There's certainly space in the market for more than one approach though, so some will find that aspect of the car very appealing.
The guy was driving on the road, literally no spirited driving in his video's except some wide open acceleration so he wouldn't be a source for how the car handles, exactly like Joe's review where he didn't even show him toss the car around, yet commenting on how un-sporty the car feels. Sorta like a no sh!t Sherlock moment, your driving it in an inert manner.

You can't guage how it performs in daily driving, he says the car feels comfortable, which is what you want in daily driving no?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:12 PM   #26
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
The guy was driving on the road, literally no spirited driving in his video's except some wide open acceleration so he wouldn't be a source for how the car handles, exactly like Joe's review where he didn't even show him toss the car around, yet commenting on how un-sporty the car feels. Sorta like a no sh!t Sherlock moment, your driving it in an inert manner.

You can't guage how it performs in daily driving, he says the car feels comfortable, which is what you want in daily driving no?
Yes I would like to see clips of Chris Harris or Carlos Lago(sp?) reviewing i4 on tracks and spirited backroads/curves.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:29 PM   #27
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So, you’re suggesting that all the driving he did is in that video??

Look, I’m just commenting on what was said in the 2 reviews, and “feels like a class bigger” and “like a big soft 5 series” and “somewhat inert” doesn’t seem to suggest that it’s a super responsive-feeling car. But feel free to interpret those comments from the reviewers in whatever way you’d like.

And yep, just like I wrote, there’s plenty of room in the market for a car with those qualities.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 06:57 AM   #28
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I'm simply saying that it would be nice to see action shots to fit the commentary such as what you see on Edmunds or Moto-Man or to some extent Redline reviews where they film portions that reflect the dialogue. Watching these reviews and stating something without back-up seems odd when there are neither #'s or action seens to show handling, even if it's a small spirited driving shot around a few bends.

In my mind, I'm watching the reviews and thinking "no sh1t sherlock" you're driving it in an inert manner.

Perhaps he did previously but never showed it, but then if that was the case, then his range test is suspect.

That being said, we know none of the i4's wont' feel as spry as a Tesla Model 3, its simply impossible given the weight difference. With that being said, I'd still love to see objective data to show how much of a difference it is.

Given you enjoy that spry feeling, the i4 doesn't seem like the car for you if that's what you are looking for in a

Most modern BMWs no longer have that feel, even M models. They all have a more substantial feel to them in daily driving, but liven up when press them.

Last edited by spool twice; 01-15-2022 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 07:33 AM   #29
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
I'm simply saying that it would be nice to see action shots to fit the commentary such as what you see on Edmunds or Moto-Man or to some extent Redline reviews where they film portions that reflect the dialogue. Watching these reviews and stating something without back-up seems odd when there are neither #'s or action seens to show handling, even if it's a small spirited driving shot around a few bends.

In my mind, I'm watching the reviews and thinking "no sh1t sherlock" you're driving it in an inert manner.

Perhaps he did previously but never showed it, but then if that was the case, then his range test is suspect.

That being said, we know none of the i4's wont' feel as spry as a Tesla Model 3, its simply impossible given the weight difference. With that being said, I'd still love to see objective data to show how much of a difference it is.

Given you enjoy that spry feeling, the i4 doesn't seem like the car for you if that's what you are looking for in a

Most modern BMWs no longer have that feel, even M models. They all have a more substantial feel to them in daily driving, but liven up when press them.
I drive X5 45e atm. Just recently, I test drove cayenne e-hybrid and taycan 4s. There was a difference in how Porsche handles (especially the taycan car). I loved it. Then I went to test Tesla model 3 performance. What a crap… its handling was way worse than my X5… it was so dull. I don’t know why you guys think Tesla has good handling. It’s extremely crappy… maybe Tesla is better on track when you feel the weight. But for daily driving Tesla is extremely bad.

I would place the cars in the following order -
1. Taycan 2. Cayenne 3. X5 4. Model 3
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #30
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
If the Taycan wasn't 1.5 - 2 years out for allocation, I'd rock that in a heartbeat.

Me saying "spry" doesn't mean handling, it's simply the "feel" of the vehicle overall (steering response, suspension tuning, acceleration pedal, braking feel etc etc..).

Last edited by spool twice; 01-15-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 01:37 PM   #31
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric2021 View Post
Then I went to test Tesla model 3 performance. What a crap… its handling was way worse than my X5… it was so dull. I don’t know why you guys think Tesla has good handling.
You must have a different definition of "handling" than most people...

Here's what CAR magazine said about the Model 3 Performance's handling in comparison with the i4M50:
"...But this is the surprise: the Tesla's more fun than the BMW. It's not only preposterously fast in a straight line (in a way that pins you to the...headrest) but the lack of bodyroll and the quick steering make it a laugh in corners. The i4 has better steering feel...keeping you more in touch with what's going on. But it's a shame that the i4 doesn't seem keen on you being involved. For a BMW, it's a bit inert, safe and unspectacular."

Overall, this is what they said:
"Which one? Tough call; the i4 is lovely to drive on the road and soothing to live with...the Tesla is a true disruptor...But the Model 3 is the bigger step forward for car-kind and the more desirable product overall"
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #32
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...Given you enjoy that spry feeling, the i4 doesn't seem like the car for you if that's what you are looking for in a
car...
What makes the i4M50 a no-go for me is its lack of passenger space.

The car I buy next must have room for 4 (older) adults to get into and out of and ride in comfortably. My Model 3 actually provides that, even if the ride is on the firm side. The rear seat accessibility and space is excellent, especially given the overall size of the car.. Even the (much larger externally) Porsche Taycan isn't as practical in that way, in addition to being far more expensive.

So for me, perhaps BMW's next EV sedan, presuming it's on a dedicated EV platform and therefore isn't 20% overweight, will work for me. i4 won't.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #33
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
You must have a different definition of "handling" than most people...

Here's what CAR magazine said about the Model 3 Performance's handling in comparison with the i4M50:
"...But this is the surprise: the Tesla's more fun than the BMW. It's not only preposterously fast in a straight line (in a way that pins you to the...headrest) but the lack of bodyroll and the quick steering make it a laugh in corners. The i4 has better steering feel...keeping you more in touch with what's going on. But it's a shame that the i4 doesn't seem keen on you being involved. For a BMW, it's a bit inert, safe and unspectacular."

Overall, this is what they said:
"Which one? Tough call; the i4 is lovely to drive on the road and soothing to live with...the Tesla is a true disruptor...But the Model 3 is the bigger step forward for car-kind and the more desirable product overall"
Cmon. Taycan does handle. 911 does handle. Tesla doesn’t handle at all. It’s sharp, but it’s the same feeling as you play racing simulator on a pc
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 02:39 PM   #34
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
What makes the i4M50 a no-go for me is its lack of passenger space.

The car I buy next must have room for 4 (older) adults to get into and out of and ride in comfortably. My Model 3 actually provides that, even if the ride is on the firm side. The rear seat accessibility and space is excellent, especially given the overall size of the car.. Even the (much larger externally) Porsche Taycan isn't as practical in that way, in addition to being far more expensive.

So for me, perhaps BMW's next EV sedan, presuming it's on a dedicated EV platform and therefore isn't 20% overweight, will work for me. i4 won't.
Different priorities, I have 2 small kids, and the power hatchback makes the i4 way more space practical for me. Plus I want the car with significantly quicker 60-130 and traps 120mph+
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 02:42 PM   #35
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Different priorities, I have 2 small kids, and the power hatchback makes the i4 way more space practical for me. Plus I want the car with significantly quicker 60-130 and traps 120mph+
That's cool.

My next car has even more cargo and passenger space and runs high 10s at almost 130 mph, so...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #36
hotrod182
Rep

My next car has even more cargo and passenger space and runs high 10s at almost 130 mph, so... [/QUOTE]

In the i4, Model 3 class? What car is that? I mean I was interested in the new Model S long range at first, but to most people it looks like any other Tesla (in which there are far too many around here). Which is one of the main reasons I find it okay to pay almost $80k for an i4 over a Model 3. I mean just look at the interior ambient lighting and cluster display. Besides i don't want a large car. The i4 is almost bigger than i want. I would have much preferred a 600HP dual motor i3s. If your focused on lap after lap on the track, and not the street, an M4 will easily dispatch of a model 3P in it's rear view mirrors. But if you drive on the street mostly, the i4 makes more sense with more luxury, better ride, quieter, better 1/4 mile, better 60-130, and possibly just as quick 0-60 as a M3P.

https://youtu.be/k8Ya37glhTw

Last edited by hotrod182; 01-15-2022 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:29 AM   #37
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
I would have much preferred a 600HP dual motor i3s.
That is an interesting idea, e.g. 600HP AWD i3 with 250-300 miles of range.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:48 AM   #38
hotrod182
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
That is an interesting idea, e.g. 600HP AWD i3 with 250-300 miles of range.
And normal sized tires! I literally went through my back tires in 6000 miles. And they are close to $400 ea installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:51 AM   #39
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
My next car has even more cargo and passenger space and runs high 10s at almost 130 mph, so...
In the i4, Model 3 class? What car is that? I mean I was interested in the new Model S long range at first, but to most people it looks like any other Tesla (in which there are far too many around here). Which is one of the main reasons I find it okay to pay almost $80k for an i4 over a Model 3. I mean just look at the interior ambient lighting and cluster display. Besides i don't want a large car. The i4 is almost bigger than i want. I would have much preferred a 600HP dual motor i3s. If your focused on lap after lap on the track, and not the street, an M4 will easily dispatch of a model 3P in it's rear view mirrors. But if you drive on the street mostly, the i4 makes more sense with more luxury, better ride, quieter, better 1/4 mile, better 60-130, and possibly just as quick 0-60 as a M3P.

https://youtu.be/k8Ya37glhTw[/QUOTE]

And also heavier and even more like a boat and like a larger 7 series, go figure

Side note, the i4 M50 isn't even marketed as an M product, but an M Performance product. It's not supposed to be the sportiest feeling model...

It's like comparing an M440i to an M4 and feeling disappointed it's not as sporty

Last edited by spool twice; 01-16-2022 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2022, 09:27 AM   #40
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The thread started with the OP asking about the driving dynamics comparison between the 2 cars. It was quickly derailed by the usual suspects dissing Tesla and ignoring the topic, plus drag racing comparisons.

I provided quotes from a respected source that suggest that the i4M50’s driving dynamics aren’t the sharpest. It might still be a good choice for the OP if he values its other qualities.

It will be interesting to see more comparisons between the 2 cars, because until there’s a full-fledged M EV, the i4M50 is the highest-performance vehicle BMW offers in the mid-sized EV sedan class.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #41
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
…In the i4, Model 3 class? What car is that?
Refreshed Model S LR.

Interior design comes down to personal preference. I far prefer the new Model S interior.

I put down a deposit before the big price increase so it’s not that much more expensive than a comparably-equipped i4M50.

My daughter is buying my Model 3P - big jump for her from the Kia Soul she’s been driving since high school, so everybody wins.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #42
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Refreshed Model S LR.

Interior design comes down to personal preference. I far prefer the new Model S interior.

I put down a deposit before the big price increase so it’s not that much more expensive than a comparably-equipped i4M50.

My daughter is buying my Model 3P - big jump for her from the Kia Soul she’s been driving since high school, so everybody wins.
Lucky you then as my 540i's lease is almost up and I'm looking for an electric, was looking at the Model S, but at the S current price range it's a non starter for me and the 3's interior is a major turn off as it makes a M340i feel luxurious.

Gonna have to look at the i4, too bad the i5 is another 1-2 years away.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #43
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Lucky you then as my 540i's lease is almost up and I'm looking for an electric
Yep, lucky indeed - we all are to be in the market for cars at $60K+....

Last edited by ZCD1; 01-16-2022 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #44
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Lucky you then as my 540i's lease is almost up and I'm looking for an electric, was looking at the Model S, but at the S current price range it's a non starter for me and the 3's interior is a major turn off as it makes a M340i feel luxurious.

Gonna have to look at the i4, too bad the i5 is another 1-2 years away.
My household went the 3/4 series route, our 540i was replaced by a g20 330i. The 540i replaced the price gen 528i, and both are simply too big for us, and really does drive like a larger car whereas the G20 captured some of the e90 spirit.

I'm hoping the i4 does the same, but my expectations are somewhere in between a 5 series and 3 series given the weight.

The i4 M50 is replacing the m4cs, go figure the car is a little too spry for daily driving, and I only drive 2 days out of the week since we both have at-home careers.

I'm not needing a race track ready car for 95% of my driving to Publix for groceries. And if we need a bigger car for that 1% of the time, we have plenty of enterprise rental points considering we rack up lots during our job travels.
Appreciate 0