Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #23
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

And Tesla - 0-60 3.1s, and bmw - 0-60 3.7s.
Appreciate 2
      01-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #24
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
This is the one we've all been waiting for, haven't we?

Personally, I don't care about the off-the-line performance, but it's nice to see the M50 deliver on its promise anyway.

With this kind of performance, I don't see why anybody would ever consider a TM3 again, aside from due to the potential price difference, of course.
You are just going to completely ignore the supercharger network and autonomous driving option? Ok
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16336.00
      01-01-2022, 12:30 PM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
You are just going to completely ignore the supercharger network and autonomous driving option? Ok
Absolutely! Don't take long enough car trips to need the network, and actively reject the concept and current capability of ADAS for any vehicle I would own/drive. Tesla overall vehicle quality far overwhelms any possible other benefits the vehicles might offer...which I haven't yet found.

As to a half-second difference to 60...just how fast do I need to get to Kroger in a four-door hatchback?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      01-01-2022, 12:33 PM   #26
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
It's only an advantage if you don't have level 2 at home. Also no plan for Bay Area to LA trips.

I've had level 2.at home for 7 years to charge the 3 EVs that I've had.
Seems like BEV's will re-ignite the old American past-time of taking a road trip, stopping (in this case to charge the vehicle), and taking in the scene and nice photo's of each stop

Nowdays, people are just go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go

Personally, even at the age of middle 30's and very healthy, I stop every 200 miles anyway on a roadtrip just to take in life and relax before the next trek. With the crazies out there driving at peak performance on America's interstates in their Nissan Versa's, I need that time to decompress
Appreciate 2
      01-01-2022, 12:35 PM   #27
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric2021 View Post
And Tesla - 0-60 3.1s, and bmw - 0-60 3.7s.
Oh BMW, how conservative they are
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #28
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
I probably will go for a Tesla if I had to choose an electric car due to the existence of superchargers and due to the price of the car. I recognize that BMW has the advantage of its dealership network and for sure built quality. It has probably better ergonomics / confort too. But in the end of the day for now the TM3 is still the better choice in my area as an electric car.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16336.00
VANOS130.00
      01-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #29
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
Agreed. I just finished a 300 miles plus round trip in a Tesla. It's so easy and hassle free due to vast supercharger network.
Also having a frunk and very roomy back seat are important for some people.
I did a 4000 mile road trip last summer and it was really easy. The supercharger network is definitely Tesla's biggest advantage. Once they open it up to other vehicles in more locations, all of the other BEVs become really compelling.

It also doesn't hurt that you get to avoid dealerships marking things up and being dicks.

Doesn't keep me from wanting a BMW, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 01:11 PM   #30
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Jesus what a dull drag race. As a viewer there is nothing appeasing my senses.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
      01-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #31
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
It'd be nice to see CarWow drive some cars around the track rather than posting yet another drag race video. I get that these get a ton of clicks but their shtick is getting rather tiresome now.
I deed and the irony of the BMW here being 400kg heavier would surely crucify the 'M' on a track.

I say irony as for all time it's been the lighter more track focused M2 for example that was perhaps worried by and RS3 in a drag race that would undoubtedly defeat it on track, as per true M values.

Different times and time will tell.
      01-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #32
eaglerulez
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 AWD

Interesting results. It seems like the two are close enough (or within a margin of error) in terms of straight-line performance with each having different torque curves.

The braking difference on the i4M50 is a little disappointing, but makes sense given the weight.

I'm most interested to see the difference in driving dynamics/handling between the two.

My gut is the Model 3 will have a slight edge there given the weight advantage, but will be interesting to see if the M50 can make some magic happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 01:40 PM   #33
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

I've driven and launched a Tesla model 3 dual motor and it was impressive to say the least.

However the interior of a Tesla gives me NO excitement whatsoever. I get frustration out of no buttons and a dash that is sterile like a hospital. It just doesn't give me an adrenaline rush. I can't do Tesla for this reason alone! I wish they made some kickass interior exciting and that would sway me over.
      01-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #34
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
With this kind of performance, I don't see why anybody would ever consider a TM3 again, aside from due to the potential price difference, of course.
I can answer this one for you. Long time BMW (and Audi) owner and got one the first Model 3 Performance in my town. I’ve decided several years ago that I will only be driving a BEV going forward. I’m not a Musk fan. In fact, I looked everywhere else before getting the P3. If BMW can offer similar performance in a BEV, I would have stayed with BMW. Yet, here I am, almost 4 years later, and still no other manufacturer is selling a performance BEV that competes directly with the P3. I dearly hope someone could come up with a viable competitor, because I personally think Musk is a massive a-hole
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #35
PfizerP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Sdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaffari46 View Post
Agreed. I just finished a 300 miles plus round trip in a Tesla. It's so easy and hassle free due to vast supercharger network.
Also having a frunk and very roomy back seat are important for some people.
Once TESLA opens up the network to everyone else, that advantage will disappear.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #36
PfizerP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Sdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Jesus what a dull drag race. As a viewer there is nothing appeasing my senses.
I know right....I guess this is the future . Maybe we can all just use fake noises right...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #37
eaglerulez
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanePineapple View Post
I can answer this one for you. Long time BMW (and Audi) owner and got one the first Model 3 Performance in my town. I’ve decided several years ago that I will only be driving a BEV going forward. I’m not a Musk fan. In fact, I looked everywhere else before getting the P3. If BMW can offer similar performance in a BEV, I would have stayed with BMW. Yet, here I am, almost 4 years later, and still no other manufacturer is selling a performance BEV that competes directly with the P3. I dearly hope someone could come up with a viable competitor, because I personally think Musk is a massive a-hole
I totally agree with you.

I WANT something better than a Model 3, but I'm not sure it's out there yet...although it's nice to see the i4 M50 get properly close to it in tests like this. To me any non-BEV at the moment almost feels like going backwards in time so it's a weird place to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 02:50 PM   #38
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Personally, I don't care about the off-the-line performance, but it's nice to see the M50 deliver on its promise anyway.

Yeah, because where I live charging is not an issue at all, and I know I'll be doing 95% of the charging at home. Thankfully, we don't need Musk's charging network. The infra will eventually catch up, but I don't see Tesla catching up to the Germans in any of the other aspects that are part of the experience of owning a car in this price range (not that they're trying to anyway).

Unless that you're someone taking long trips on a daily or very frequent basis, I don't think the charging network is so important tbh.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 02:53 PM   #39
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ103 View Post
Nice results from BMW. With that said, am I the only one to find EV races boring? The lack of engine sound and gear shifting, along with the possibility of driver error out of the equation is just, well, boring.

Never thought that would have been the case with 10-11 sec cars straight from the showroom floor before.

It's also crazy to think that average non car men/women (people who don't know the difference between a Prius and a Bugatti Chiron) are going to be driving around in cars that accelerate this fast, with no real experience of any kind with performance driving in the past.
Couldn't agree more. Really fast cars but certainly miss the noise and interaction.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 03:31 PM   #40
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

There's no way I'm buying Tesla.
BMW wins, it's not just about speed.

There's a Tesla recall going on at the moment as well.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #41
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
It'd be nice to see CarWow drive some cars around the track rather than posting yet another drag race video. I get that these get a ton of clicks but their shtick is getting rather tiresome now.
Anyone can do 150mph in a straight line. can’t even understand the guy with his run on sentences. Are these ///M mirror caps on the Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #42
Sunnystone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post

As to a half-second difference to 60...just how fast do I need to get to Kroger in a four-door hatchback?
Yep. This.

People hung up on 0.5sec difference. The M50 is sub 4secs 0-60 and an overall much better vehicle for the everyday.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2022, 04:29 PM   #43
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, because where I live charging is not an issue at all, and I know I'll be doing 95% of the charging at home. Thankfully, we don't need Musk's charging network. The infra will eventually catch up, but I don't see Tesla catching up to the Germans in any of the other aspects that are part of the experience of owning a car in this price range (not that they're trying to anyway).

Unless that you're someone taking long trips on a daily or very frequent basis, I don't think the charging network is so important tbh.
"With this kind of performance, I don't see why anybody would ever consider a TM3 again, aside from due to the potential price difference, of course"

Which you justified by saying that you do 95% charging at home.

Anybody isn't just you. I am one of the anybodys that would go tesla model 3 right now because I have 1 vehicle only, and I do roadtrips frequently enough for it to matter. I know I am not the only one. BMW has a great car here, but to imply that TM3 is unconsiderable now that i4 beats it in a drag sprint seems a bit strong of a take
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      01-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #44
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I do like the M50 and it would make a good garage companion to my e90 M3.

Range likely seems pretty good (if the epa range is underestimated), has good acceleration compared to the Tesla performance 3, and I do prefer the hatch configuration.

I do have various concerns in regards to the BMW since I currently own a Model 3. The Tesla supercharger network is plentiful and they all work. How is the non Tesla super chargers? All the videos I see on non Tesla super chargers seem pretty bad with various malfunctions. Yes tesla may start allowing non teslas to supercharge however this also means constant software updates with the non tesla cars to be able to charge. I think that would also cause issues with non teslas.

I need to see a full handling/ track test with the P3D vs M50. How is the handling going to compare? It is a heavier car. How does the battery hold up lap after lap?

However most importantly, what kind of BMW dealer mark ups are there going to be on the M50? Tesla's pricing is set with occasional increases. You just order and at that point you know what you're gonna get. If BMW dealers put a markup on the M50 then I'm out.

For these reasons I am likely keeping my e90 M3 as one of the last analogue BMW's for the weekends, passing my Tesla M3 over to my wife, and currently have a Tesla Y Performance on order… at least this gives me some time to see how the M50 does in comparison tests and see if the dealer will not "market adjust" the price on it.
Appreciate 1