Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #67
Io
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI DCT LBB

Surprising. I was expecting the TM3P to be faster.
A shame the front of the i4 is so aesthetically controversial, else it would have been a huge win. I would pick the Tesla just because it looks nicer.
Well, I would prefer the Taycan, but the budget is not the same 😅
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16300.00
      01-02-2022, 12:33 PM   #68
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Tesla's US supercharger network has been funded by at least $1.5B of US taxpayer money, so the network should really be open to general public.
Where is this figure coming from? I'm not aware of any mass subsidies Tesla received for the supercharger network.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16300.00
      01-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #69
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Can Tesla go back and add LiDAR and Radar? Sure but that change means Elon sold everyone that bought FSD today a bag of crap. Former engineers and the majority of the safety community agrees with me. Tesla is the only company trying to do cameras only.
$10k for L2 is quite expensive.
It will never be full hands off, no matter what Elon promises. They are pushing marketing hype but the ADAS in new BMW with the latest MobilEye tech is better than Tesla. It offers redundancy to the cameras with other sensors.

FSD in Tesla will never move beyond L2.

This article is a bit old but it is still applicable because Tesla is still camera only with no redundancy in cameras and Elon still claims he can get to L5 ADAS.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmo...-2-autonomous/
      01-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #70
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezr10 View Post
My problem with them is basically that they are an embarrassment to American manufacturing.
I agree wholeheartedly; this strikes close to home for me and is a key reason I went from an early pre-launch M3 deposit holder to a confirmed rejector. I'm open to the brand if they ever launch high quality products.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
perezr10140.50
      01-02-2022, 03:36 PM   #71
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishTX View Post
Where is this figure coming from? I'm not aware of any mass subsidies Tesla received for the supercharger network.
200k units@$7.5k each is $1.5B of US taxpayer money.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 03:37 PM   #72
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Great job BMW!
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #73
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Quote:
Then what about the 1.5B GM got ? They didn't build any chargers
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16300.00
      01-02-2022, 04:48 PM   #74
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
The what about the 1.5B GM got ? They didn't build any chargers
GM a few months ago did announce 40000 public L2 chargers for $0.75B.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...m-charger.html

VW's Electrify America network is open to public too.

Surely Tesla can stick to status quo, but likely will miss out US taxpayer money that GM and VW will get from the infrastructure bill.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #75
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

That's nonsense. That money didn't even go to Tesla.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16300.00
      01-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #76
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:

That's nonsense. That money didn't even go to Tesla.
That money allowed Tesla to charge extra $7.5k per unit(up to first 200k), and directly contributed to Tesla's coffer.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:04 PM   #77
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That money allowed Tesla to charge extra $7.5k per unit(up to first 200k), and that money directly contributed to Tesla's coffer.
It's a tax credit that went to the buyer. Tesla got zero dollars for it, and didn't make an extra 7.5k in profit on each vehicle sale back then, either.

They're also not the only company to max out produced vehicles for this credit, but they are the only one with a massive charging network in the US.

Hate Tesla all you want, but the supercharger network was not taxpayer funded.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16300.00
      01-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #78
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

As.of 2015 Tesla and the companies it owned had collected $4.5 billion in government subsidies. I don't know the current figure.

Tesla has recently raised prices in anticipation of the new infrastructure bills.

I don't care if he opens up the charging network or not. I charge at home. But if he asks for anymore incentives he needs to give something back.

I'm not railing against Tesla but In the same breath Elon blasts California, he has no reluctance getting a lease in Lathrop, Ca for on land for employee parking for $1.

Alameda county gave huge breaks to get his production and facility in Fremont off the ground.

Just to be clear. My dislike for Tesla is orthogonal to my like for BMW. I don't like them for their shoddy quality, their deceptive practices calling their ADAS, Autopilot and FSD. I don't like that Tesla got tax breaks in my country then Elon talked crap. They still seek tax incentives.

Elon got pissed because Alameda county wouldn't let him remain open and Tesla had to play by the rules like everyone else.

I wouldn't have a Model 3 if you gave it to me.
      01-02-2022, 05:40 PM   #79
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can Tesla go back and add LiDAR and Radar? Sure but that change means Elon sold everyone that bought FSD today a bag of crap. Former engineers and the majority of the safety community agrees with me. Tesla is the only company trying to do cameras only.
It will never be full hands off, no matter what Elon promises. They are pushing marketing hype but the ADAS in new BMW with the latest MobilEye tech is better than Tesla. It offers redundancy to the cameras with other sensors.

This article is a bit old but it is still applicable because Tesla is still camera only with no redundancy in cameras and Elon still claims he can get to L5 ADAS.

Never say never. History has proven absolutes like this wrong so many times, it's not worth making them. Brilliant people tend to find a way.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 05:48 PM   #80
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's a tax credit that went to the buyer. Tesla got zero dollars for it, and didn't make an extra 7.5k in profit on each vehicle sale back then, either.

They're also not the only company to max out produced vehicles for this credit, but they are the only one with a massive charging network in the US.

Hate Tesla all you want, but the supercharger network was not taxpayer funded.
Another way to think of this is that, without $7.5k tax credit, Tesla prices were $7.5k more than customers were willing to pay, and that can affect Tesla's rampup.

So 200k x $7.5k = $1.5B is US taxpayer money to fund Tesla's operations including rollout of supercharger network.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 05:53 PM   #81
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never say never. History has proven absolutes like this wrong so many times, it's not worth making them. Brilliant people tend to find a way.
Beyond L2 you are allowed to remove your hands from the wheel.

To support that function, you must provide graceful fail. If you do not have a secondary sensor you cannot positively locate in the lane if the primary sensor fails. Teslas are blind on sensor failure. For L3 and above you cannot be blind on a single point of failure.

That is the problem with Tesla ADAS; a single camera failure immediately renders some function unusable without graceful failure.

L3 requires redundancy that Tesla only has on their processor clusters. Elon had engineering remove all secondary sensors several years ago.

This is why Cruise, BMW, Mercedes and Ford can all offer hands free driving of some sort and Tesla cannot.

Also with a camera only system; fog, rain and other conditions can render the systems non functional.
      01-02-2022, 05:53 PM   #82
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Another way to think of this is that, without $7.5k tax credit, Tesla prices were $7.5k more than customers were willing to pay, and that can affect Tesla's rampup.

So 200k x $7.5k = $1.5B is US taxpayer money to fund Tesla's operations including rollout of supercharger network.
I understand how you did the math. I'm telling you that your logic is fundamentally flawed. Where is the GM charging network? Why didn't the prices drop by 7.5k immediately after the tax credit vanished? The money may have increased sales, but Tesla hasn't had a year with more cars than sales in years now with zero tax credit. It clearly wasn't the key to holding the business together, and it certainly didn't pay for the supercharger network, most of which has been built AFTER the tax credit expired.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:55 PM   #83
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As.of 2015 Tesla and the companies it owned had collected $4.5 billion in government subsidies. I don't know the current figure.

Tesla has recently raised prices in anticipation of the new infrastructure bills.

I don't care if he opens up the charging network or not. I charge at home. But if he asks for anymore incentives he needs to give something back.
Yes the Tesla price hikes are to catch the latest EV infrastructure bills, so just like the first chunk of 200k x $7.5k = $1.5B US taxpayer money, Tesla likely will want extra US taxpayer money.

Musk did say in 7/2021 US supercharger will open up soon, the rationale likely will be that the infrastructure bill requires charging infrastructure to "have the ability to serve vehicles produced by more than one vehicle manufacturer." in order to be funded.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #84
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

2.5 billion is the US number, of which, more than 2billion came from state governments wanting the tax revenue. This is very common across basically every industry.

Tesla raised prices in response to inflation and supply chain changes. Everything is more expensive now. Their prices didn't go up by 10k on the models that would have qualified for the build back better bill or whatever it's called now.

Agreed that you can't talk trash about incentives and take a bunch, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 06:00 PM   #85
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

If anything it's better if all tax credits are gone for Tesla. They don't need any.

Their margins are like 28-29% , for them it's better if nobody gets any credits as the BBB is dead in the water
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 06:01 PM   #86
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I understand how you did the math. I'm telling you that your logic is fundamentally flawed. Where is the GM charging network? Why didn't the prices drop by 7.5k immediately after the tax credit vanished? The money may have increased sales, but Tesla hasn't had a year with more cars than sales in years now with zero tax credit. It clearly wasn't the key to holding the business together, and it certainly didn't pay for the supercharger network, most of which has been built AFTER the tax credit expired.
GM did announce $0.7B 40000 L2 public charger network.

The 200k x $7.5k = $1.5B was what Fed earmarked to pop up each EV maker including Tesla.

Tesla used that $1.5B (that could stay in its coffer after credit expired) to expand its business including supercharger infrastructure.

And Tesla did drop prices when fed credit phased out.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 06:03 PM   #87
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
GM did announce $0.7B 40000 L2 public charger network.

The 200k x $7.5k = $1.5B was what Fed earmarked to pop up each EV maker including Tesla.

Tesla used that $1.5B (that could stay in its coffer after credit expired) to expand its business including supercharger infrastructure.

And Tesla did drop prices when fed credit phased out.
Tesla supercharger network costed way more than 1.5B

1.5B is like a drop in the bucket
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 06:04 PM   #88
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Their margins are like 28-29% , for them it's better if nobody gets any credits as the BBB is dead in the water
That's why I own Tesla's best product, which is not its cars.
Appreciate 0