Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-16-2022, 03:36 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

BMW i4 M50 - first impressions and driven until it dies [RSymons RSEV]

Some first impressions on the BMW i4 M50 from RSymons RSEV. Plus find out what happens when it is driven until it dies.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

He followed up with a lengthy comparison to the Model 3.

As a Model 3 owner, but not having experienced the i4 in the flesh in any way, I think most of his points are accurate. However, he's a bit jaded in some areas toward the Tesla. Namely the infotainment. Having used iDrive 7, I can say that the "native" BMW nav system that he keeps 'whinging' about (as he says) isn't nearly the poor relation compared to the Tesla that he makes it out to be. Also, he kind of complains about the central gauges in the BMW not being configurable enough. My answer would be: at least it's got gauges!

Also, he goes on quite a bit about the i4 interior feeling like it could be in a 320d. Yeah, the Tesla interior feels like it could be in a 120d so not sure what he's on about there.

I felt like his observations about the drawbacks of not being on a dedicated EV platform (central tunnel size, no frunk, high dash height) are warranted. These are things that you quickly grow used to as being a benefit to the Tesla. Especially the low dash. The forward visibility is as outstanding as the rearward visibility is horrendous. LOL.

Also, I feel like his ever so slightly small swipe at the Tesla's suspension being "stiff" is understating things. It's not stiff. It's bad. It does not carve corners at all. It nibbles at them. It's crying out for a good set of coilovers. I do like the very quick steering ratio, though.

All in all, an interesting comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
It's bias, but reviews typically are. The build quality commentary is interesting, he must love hard touch plastics.

Which Model 3 do you have? I enjoyed flinging around a M3P during a test drive at the Tesla store here, but I should say I was more impressed with the steering ratio vs actual suspension dynamics as it wasn't at-the-limit handling. Made it easy to fling around and I can certainly see why people enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 04:25 PM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
It's bias, but reviews typically are. The build quality commentary is interesting, he must love hard touch plastics.

Which Model 3 do you have? I enjoyed flinging around a M3P during a test drive at the Tesla store here, but I should say I was more impressed with the steering ratio vs actual suspension dynamics as it wasn't at-the-limit handling. Made it easy to fling around and I can certainly see why people enjoy it.
I also have a Model 3 performance. It's on the standard fit Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's.

Initially, it feels impressive. The steering is quick, with zero slop. It's very easy to initiate a turn and the car pivots quickly. And if you're on smooth roads, you probably won't notice much of an issue.

On less than smooth roads, it quickly falls apart. First off, the ride, even on the straight ahead, is, shall I say, perfect if you have a bobble head on your dash. Check out the attached video from my dashcam. pay attention to fixed horizontal items, like power lines, overpasses and road signs. Watch them for a few seconds and see how they oscillate up and down? That's not the camera, that's the whole car doing that. The car pogos. The reason is that the suspension relies heavily on the bump stops for damping, and the suspension travel is short, resulting in the car being on the bump stops much of the time.

Second, when you encounter bumps like this while cornering, the rear of the car is easily upset. You don't have to be pulling g's to feel this. It's evident even making a lazy turn. it's not to say that the car gets out of control, however if you do the same run back to back say in a BMW or a Porsche, the lack of composure from the Tesla is immediately apparent.

Unfortunately, many 'reviewers' think "stiff is sporty" and the quick steering and sharp turn in seduce many into thinking the car is better than it is. But it isn't.

As far as "build quality" goes, the Tesla again fools the untrained. There actually are few hard plastics, especially in the refreshed Model 3's where the center console is padded. The whole door card has a soft touch coating on it, all the way down. The only hard pack is on the underside of the horizontal trim bar (wood or white), inside the door cubbies, and on the center console. The seats are soft and comfortable, the steering wheel feels good, the horn module has a nice padding to it, etc.

But when you start knocking on things, you realize it's a veneer. Thump on a Porsche door panel and you're greeted with heft. The Tesla is feather light. It's stiff, but tinny. Pull the side panel off the center console and it's barely stiff enough to hold itself horizontal. By comparsion, the center console of a BMW feels like it's made of plywood.

Tesla saves cost...and weight! A Model 3 is somewhere like 800 pounds lighter than an i4. That doesn't just "happen". But life is about tradeoffs. And if you were coming out of, say, an Acura, you probably would never know what you were missing.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 05:39 PM   #5
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
It looks like the 2022 model 3's have hard touch lower door panels all around now. I live in FL where the roads are fairly smooth, so I did not notice bumpy road items. However, now that you do say that, I do recall the rear-end feeling out of step even when navigating a simple round-a-bout at like 25-30ish MPH and going over raised pedestrian cross-walks and the rear end feeling like it was attached to a beam-axle suspension where they side-step over the bump.

I haven't cancelled my order yet for the M3P though, I'd like to live with it for just a few days before coming to a full conclusion. I have an M50 on order as well.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 07:30 PM   #6
Petee_c
Registered
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Having just put a deposit down on a i4M50.... the range that tester (video in post #1) got is quite concerning.... 180 miles til dead? it didn't look that cold...

I was hoping to make the roundtrip with the wife next year with the skis in the back to our hill 280km round trip without charging.... maybe not... usually it's about -5 to -10c when we go skiing...

Looks like I may having to find and park at a charger when we go skiing.... (not conveniently located)....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 02:25 AM   #7
mlello
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50 & i3 120

Some of the results from å big range test i Norway. All the cars drove the same route at the same time. i4 M50 made it 406km in winter conditions.

Written in norwegian, but the table should be posilble to understand.

https://motor.no/aktuelt/motors-stor...elbiler/217132
Appreciate 1
4monks95.00
      01-28-2022, 03:20 AM   #8
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlello View Post
Some of the results from å big range test i Norway. All the cars drove the same route at the same time. i4 M50 made it 406km in winter conditions.

Written in norwegian, but the table should be posilble to understand.

https://motor.no/aktuelt/motors-stor...elbiler/217132
Thanks - and here is the table with km to miles conversion:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mlello16.50
      01-28-2022, 03:34 AM   #9
Tim Callahan
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 quattro, E90 325iX

Really interesting. Would be nice to know what was the wheel size. Could be 20”? With 19” range would be a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:54 AM   #10
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Callahan View Post
Really interesting. Would be nice to know what was the wheel size. Could be 20”? With 19” range would be a bit better.
The range quoted appears to be expected range for the 19" - whether they actually drove a 19 or 20" - not sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:58 AM   #11
mlello
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50 & i3 120

They drove the 19" with non studded winter tires. They have higher rolling restisance than summer tires,
Appreciate 2
4monks95.00
Rich9600739.50
      01-28-2022, 04:45 AM   #12
Tim Callahan
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 quattro, E90 325iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlello View Post
They drove the 19" with non studded winter tires. They have higher rolling restisance than summer tires,
Thanks. 19” summer tires could be getting close to 450km actual range. I have 19” wheels coming due to range For winters I could even go for 18”. Any way that will be topical only next winter and depends on what kind Scandinavian winter tire selection will be available, I also prefer non-studded tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #13
Petee_c
Registered
Rep

thanks for the Norwegian info.... might help me for my Southern Ontario winters.... We live at about 43.4N latitude, the ski hill I go to is 44.5N.

I try to get there 5-10x/winter for a couple hours each time... it's about 145km 1 way. currently no convenient chargers along the route....

---

just mapped the route on google maps that the Norwegians took... similiar style roads that I take to get to my ski hill... 80kph posted speed limit, most go 95kph.... but with a turn or stop sign every 15 km or so...

Last edited by Petee_c; 01-28-2022 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #14
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
Thanks - and here is the table with km to miles conversion:
Can you explain this chart to me? I'm a really newbie to EV's. Thanks.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #15
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Very surprised by a few things...

The i4 M50 scoring as high as it did for being one of the "least efficient" cars, and also the quickest accelerating cars on that list. For as cold of a test that was, this will bode well for someone like me there we have flat roads and normally 75F and above throughout most of the year.

The iX 40 scored lower than the iX 50, by a good margin.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #16
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I watched all his reviews on the i4M50 and it does seem at odds with my own findings. How can he say the interior isn’t any better than a 320d as if that’s a bad thing, the build quality of recent BMWs is probably better than any of its current German rivals which puts it comfortably ahead of the Tesla. I agree the Tesla’s sat nav is brilliant especially when linked to finding charging points, that’s one thing no one does it better but as a basic sat nav the one in my M5C has never let me down.

Ride quality is very good on the i4, it soaks up almost everything and it’s quiet too… two areas where both differ is throttle response and steering input, despite the badging on the i4 this is no M car it’s a cruiser that just happens to be fast which in my mind isn’t a bad thing.

Was reading about the i4M50 vs M3/4 vs Tesla 3P in Car magazine, when it’s available on-line hopefully in a week or two it’s worth reading.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 11:02 AM   #17
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

"Also, he kind of complains about the central gauges in the BMW not being configurable enough. My answer would be: at least it's got gauges!"

Yes. The lack of gauges and the lack of a HUD disqualifies any Tesla 3 or Y as far as I am concerned.

In some ways Tesla is like a cult (I don't mean this negatively...all religions are cults). You either sign up for Elon's way or you don't.

Personally, I greatly admire everything he has accomplished but not the man himself. But, then again, this is not uncommon for great achievers.
Appreciate 0