Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-19-2022, 02:37 AM   #45
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Agree, the competition is definitely good. However, I don't think BMW is close to Tesla in tech yet. It has a 83-84 kw battery pack but tesla only has 73-75. Battery pack isn't just fuel tank size on ICE cars. It affects how much energy it can be used. In analogy BMW stuffed a bigger engine into the car, got heavier so it has more power top end but also suffers from shorter range. Sound like detriot stuffing big v8 to keep up with bmw NA i6 in the past.
You are making this very simplistic and not in a good way.

If you want to compare the I4 M50 to a M3P. Is it heavier? Yes.

Tesla has a platform that is lighter but also has less battery protection than most other EV. Tesla also uses less premium (low end) materials. BMW has more features and amenities than a Tesla.

BMW also has much better quality than a Tesla.

But you mention tech. Tesla does not have superior tech.

1. Motor tech? Nope BMW has 5th generation electrically excited motors with no rare earth materials.

2. BMW has adaptive regeneration and GPS and ADAS integration. Tesla does not

3. BMW has hands free driving (traffic jam). Tesla does not.

The list goes on.

If you prefer Tesla then great, but just because a M50 isn't modeled after a Tesla doesn't make it an inferior product

I would argue that it would be rare to have a BMW fail a quality inspection at delivery. It's not rare to have a Tesla fail a basic paint and panel gap inspection at delivery. My best friend rejected 3 cars before she got a car that was good enough to take delivery. This just doesn't happen with BMW.

You get what you pay for. Sometimes you get less.
A Tesla is not a car I would ever buy. I don't like Tesla and tactics of discontinuing trim levels after you have ordered and try to push you into a higher trim level. I don't like the fraudulent marketing of FSD that will never be FSD.
Many good point about #3 isn't true.
What isn't true?

Traffic Jam assist does not require hands on wheel for BMW. It will auto brake and accelerate up to 40 mph.
Driver has to be aware but a camera monitors the driver.

There is absolutely no mode for Tesla where hands free driving is a thing.
He probably means in the context of i4. You are mentioning features of next level autonomy but in a car range that only comes with "driving assistant professional " which is lane and speed assistance in the i4. It very definitely has a hands on wheel timer, 6 seconds I believe.
ETJAS - Extended Traffic Jam Assist is hands free and pedal free. Does not have a timer. Looks at drive with the camera mounted at the top of the instrument cluster.

Good for up to 40 mph in stop and go traffic.
Yes it's in the.options but so is FSD.

My comment was not on what a.specific car has but what options you can get.

When someone says that Tesla has better tech I tend to call them out because I worked in development of redundant CPUs for auto and also ASAS and ISO26262 (ASIL A-D). Tesla has hyped something they can never deliver.

They will not be able to deliver hands off ADAS because they have 8 cameras; three forward up high, two on each side facing forward, two on each side facing rearward and a single rear facing camera.

No redundancy in the cameras pretty much negates hands free.

BMWs cameras are redundant with radar as a backup.

Anyway, details, details.
You know all Tesla's have FLR (forward looking radar) sensors right? Same Continental ones BMW use.

I4 does not come with driver alert camera, even as an option, so I don't understand why you are going on about next generation BMW hands off features in the context of model 3 vs i4?

All that stuff about redundancy you go on about is nonsense in the context of i4 too. Snow on radar sensor? No adaptive cruise, camera blocked or failed, no adaptive cruise. Both with immediate effect. Maybe stop bigging up the capabilities of BMW i4 cruise control? ….you are starting to sound like Elon.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:25 AM   #46
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

Quote:
You know all Tesla's have FLR (forward looking radar) sensors right? Same Continental ones BMW use.
Starting to phase out from May 2021...
https://www.tesla.com/support/transi...g-tesla-vision
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:44 AM   #47
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansn View Post
Once again ill put this out there for the Tesla model 3 vs i4 debate and the weight;

In adittion to being on a shared platform the BMW is built to carry alot more the weight and be crash safe with that weight. It can pull 1600kg trailer on top of that. Its pretty big numbers.

Total legal load including passengers in the Tesla is 388kg including driver/cargo.

Same number for the i4 is 555kg.

These are not race cars in the end, but daily drivers.

The sacrifices Tesla make to get their numbers has been discussed before i guess. But i think this is vital information when arguing that they somehow figured out something thats beyond BMWs engineers.

I think they are better at pushing the limits in ways that are unconventional and beyond BMWs engineers in the sense that german cars have different standards.. Legally carrying four average germans in a five seater being one of them.. 😅
Interesting data points, I never thought of it from that perspective.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:37 AM   #48
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
i was hoping it was going to be a little faster
I4 M50 is quicker than Model 3P, both from a dig and rolling start. It easily gapped the Tesla from roll because Model 3 really lacks top end power.

Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10815.50
      01-19-2022, 09:34 AM   #49
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Doesn't seem too far off of a g80 M3 Competition though 100-200kph with this one running 8.16 seconds, not too far off of 8.67. Unless you were talking about 0-100 or 1/4mile, then you can blame a wet surface and grip issues.

The M3/M4 are already underrated, yet if you look at the list below with testing done by the same person, the i4M50 beats the lighter 2021 xdrive M4 Convertible in the 100-200, and is only .6 seconds slower than the 1000lb lighter G80 M3 Comp. How is this possible with a nearly 5000lb car? Motor is definitely making some HP. Can you imagine if the i4 M50 weighed 1000lbs less. We would be talking about 130mph+ traps. Well, it might be easier to add 100HP. Bring on the i4M. I wish BMW sold a power kit giving it another 70HP for $2000. Would buy that in a second. You can see the Tesla Model 3P about 69 positions down from the 8.67 time on the list below!

https://autotopnl100-200.com/100-200/
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)

Last edited by hotrod182; 01-19-2022 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 3
      01-19-2022, 10:31 AM   #50
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:

I4 does not come with driver alert camera, even as an option, so I don't understand why you are going on about next generation BMW hands off features in the context of model 3 vs i4?

All that stuff about redundancy you go on about is nonsense in the context of i4 too. Snow on radar sensor? No adaptive cruise, camera blocked or failed, no adaptive cruise. Both with immediate effect. Maybe stop bigging up the capabilities of BMW i4 cruise control? ….you are starting to sound like Elon.
Tesla has not only stopped building cars with radar but has also disabled the sensor in all cars.

https://www.tesla.com/support/transi...g-tesla-vision

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmo...-self-driving/

You should stop.

You haven't read the.manual for the i4. See the attached picture. Page 153.of the manual, item 3 is the driver alert camera.

You should stop.

As far as.redundamcy in the BMW setup. The radar is redundant to the cameras and vice versa.

In inclement weather the Tesla system is completely blind.

You should do some reading before you come here and tell me I don't know what talking about.

I have worked in automotive safety for years.
I'm certified by both Exida and TÜV for automotive safety practitioner.

Are you done yet?
Don't hurt yourself rolling your eyes.

Before you come for me, know what you are talking about. I know what I'm talking about. It was part of my job for more than 5 years to know auto safety.
Attached Images

01-19-2022, 10:33 AM   #51
clubsport.m3
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I feel a lot of people are focussing on straight line speed. And whilst that is important, the overall handling and driving dynamics is where I hope BMW will make the difference.

I'm patiently waiting for Chris Harris to have a go at it with the i4 50m or i4M.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:49 AM   #52
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
You are a point there on the build material. Personally it's not a huge deal because my car will be rotated out every 3-4 years. What is also surprising so far is reviews saying Tesla is more maneuverable and the M50 is more like a GT.
Sorry to interrupt you. May I ask what phone you use? The exact model please.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:22 AM   #53
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport.m3 View Post
I feel a lot of people are focussing on straight line speed. And whilst that is important, the overall handling and driving dynamics is where I hope BMW will make the difference.

I'm patiently waiting for Chris Harris to have a go at it with the i4 50m or i4M.
It's because the thread is about acceleration and straight line speed sir

but yes a car should be more than about acceleration.

Last edited by spool twice; 01-19-2022 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #54
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
The M3/M4 are already underrated, yet if you look at the list below with testing done by the same person, the i4M50 beats the lighter 2021 xdrive M4 Convertible in the 100-200, and is only .6 seconds slower than the 1000lb lighter G80 M3 Comp. How is this possible with a nearly 5000lb car? Motor is definitely making some HP. Can you imagine if the i4 M50 weighed 1000lbs less. We would be talking about 130mph+ traps. Well, it might be easier to add 100HP. Bring on the i4M. I wish BMW sold a power kit giving it another 70HP for $2000. Would buy that in a second. You can see the Tesla Model 3P about 69 positions down from the 8.67 time on the list below!
I can't see why they couldn't offer a powerpack, from reading it appears that all i4/iX motors are the same, just with a different state of tune. If not BMW supplying a powerpack, perhaps the aftermarket can somehow tune the rear motor to have the same power as the iX M60 since we already share the same specs on the front motors.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #55
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Considering the conditions of the road I think the times was decent, a sub 3.5s 0-60mph on a dry road is very possible. Also the 100-200 is actually quicker than they achieved with the new RS6 so again nothing to complain about.

I am looking forward to getting my own hopefully in May.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:56 AM   #56
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I4 M50 is quicker than Model 3P, both from a dig and rolling start. It easily gapped the Tesla from roll because Model 3 really lacks top end power.

seems to be quicker over 100mph. however how many people are going over that speed around town or HWY? I guess I was being un realistic as to think it would be a electric rocket ship (obv still is as its under 4 sec 0-60). I need to drive it before I make any judgments but I have driven the M3P and its a rocket for normal day to day driving, was hoping the BMW would be a little better thats all. I know I know im being picky

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #57
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
I can't see why they couldn't offer a powerpack, from reading it appears that all i4/iX motors are the same, just with a different state of tune. If not BMW supplying a powerpack, perhaps the aftermarket can somehow tune the rear motor to have the same power as the iX M60 since we already share the same specs on the front motors.
There are reasons.

1. Motor cooling - we don't know the cooling capacity. The motor will dissipate more heat.

2. Wiring - Can the wiring support more current?

3. Internal resistance of the battery pack - Can it deliver the additional current.

As a EE, I don't know if I'd play around with a tune on an EV. Granted my ICE car was tuned, but I understood more about the drivetrain.

I could increase cooling by swapping a radiator or increasing the size of the oil cooler.

I could add a secondary fuel pump for fuel starvation.

The list goes on. Not sure what would be "safe" for an EV drivetrain. I'll wait and see.
      01-19-2022, 12:17 PM   #58
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Considering the conditions of the road I think the times was decent, a sub 3.5s 0-60mph on a dry road is very possible. Also the 100-200 is actually quicker than they achieved with the new RS6 so again nothing to complain about.

I am looking forward to getting my own hopefully in May.
sub 3.5 has already been achieved actually

One tester did it in 3.39 seconds (3.1 with a 1ft rollout), but it was done on a dry 55*F day where road temps aren't exactly ideal either for the best tire grip despite AWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:30 PM   #59
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
There are reasons.

1. Motor cooling - we don't know the cooling capacity. The motor will dissipate more heat.

3. Internal resistance of the battery pack - Can it deliver the additional current.

As a EE, I don't know if I'd play around with a tune on an EV. Granted my ICE car was tuned, but I understood more about the drivetrain.

I could increase cooling by swapping a radiator or increasing the size of the oil cooler.

The list goes on. Not sure what would be "safe" for an EV drivetrain. I'll wait and see.
Good points, I wonder if the invertor is the same part # as in the iX? Im anxiously awaiting for RealOEM to open up the parts catalog for both cars to compare what is truly different between the 5th generation electric systems.

As for cooling, I'd imagine it would simply be an updated Hx units similar to ICE now since they too use Hx on BEV's.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #60
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
There are reasons.

Polestar recently released an optional performance update which increases the hp of Polestar 2 by 16% (extra 67 hp). It’s like a Stage 1 BM3 tune. So it’s clearly possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:42 PM   #61
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There are reasons.

Polestar recently released an optional performance update which increases the hp of Polestar 2 by 16% (extra 67 hp). It’s like a Stage 1 BM3 tune. So it’s clearly possible.
Just because polestar did it does not mean the BMW system has the same headroom.
      01-19-2022, 03:08 PM   #62
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There are reasons.

Point to note: the M50 has 10 seconds of "boost mode" which adds 67hp, to achieve a total headline figure of 544hp.

That immediately tells you that it can't sustain the full 544hp all the time. Which makes it doubtful that they will bring out a power upgrade.

Don't worry, it is fast enough…..and if it isn't, you are buying the wrong car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:40 PM   #63
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are reasons.

Polestar recently released an optional performance update which increases the hp of Polestar 2 by 16% (extra 67 hp). It's like a Stage 1 BM3 tune. So it's clearly possible.
Point to note: the M50 has 10 seconds of "boost mode" which adds 67hp, to achieve a total headline figure of 544hp.

That immediately tells you that it can't sustain the full 544hp all the time. Which makes it doubtful that they will bring out a power upgrade.

Don't worry, it is fast enough…..and if it isn't, you are buying the wrong car.
Hey, it's not me.

It's fast enough.

I was just indicating that unlike an ICE car where a tune can be compensated for by upgrades. A BEV is more of a.closed system where compensating for upgrades is probably not possible.
      01-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #64
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=techwhiz1;28487525]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are reasons.

Polestar recently released an optional performance update which increases the hp of Polestar 2 by 16% (extra 67 hp). It's like a Stage 1 BM3 tune. So it's clearly possible.
Hey, it's not me.

It's fast enough.

I was just indicating that unlike an ICE car where a tune can be compensated for by upgrades. A BEV is more of a.closed system where compensating for upgrades is probably not possible.
Sorry I was replying to AlexFL's post which had quoted your post…..which I agree with by the way. EV power depends on the maximum current draw, battery, inverter, motor temperatures, or the weakest link in any of these.

The fact that the M50 isn't rated full time to 544hp means there are most likely heat limitations already at play.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #65
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=NISFAN;28487753]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There are reasons.

Hey, it's not me.

It's fast enough.

Sorry I was replying to AlexFL's post which had quoted your post…..which I agree with by the way. EV power depends on the maximum current draw, battery, inverter, motor temperatures, or the weakest link in any of these.

The fact that the M50 isn't rated full time to 544hp means there are most likely heat limitations already at play.
Yeah, some things I'm willing to play with.
EV drivetrain isn't one of them.

Also getting more peak power is only good for drag runs. I don't drag my car.

Once you hit 500hp and 500ft-lbs of torque, keeping the tires stuck is a big deal.

I'll also say it again. With the i4 you are going to run out of road before you run out of car.
      01-19-2022, 04:57 PM   #66
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Fwiw, the car is in boost mode during the entire LC acceleration run, so 0-140mph. It's just boost mode outside of LC can only be used up to 10 seconds at a time.
Appreciate 0