BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

  BMW i Forums > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1123
Rep
7,438
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Need replacement for Radeon R9 280x

Hey guys, the cooling fans are beginning to fail on this VC and I need recommendations for a replacement. Preferably DX12.

I'm running a 600w PSU (Corsair), SSD and plan on replacing my MB and CPU within the next year.

TIA.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Banana Hammock's Avatar
2507
Rep
555
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

What's your budget and what do you use the PC for?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1123
Rep
7,438
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
What's your budget and what do you use the PC for?
less than $400,

Gaming mostly
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Banana Hammock's Avatar
2507
Rep
555
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
less than $400,

Gaming mostly
Unfortunately, right now is a terrible time to be shopping for a graphics card. With the crypocurrency hype in full swing, the cost of cards are almost double of that they are supposed to be.

With your budget, you could have gotten a GTX 1070 or something from AMDs new Vega series but with the way things are now, your only options are the GTX1060 or the AMD RX500 line up.

If it's just your fan that's failing, perhaps try cleaning it out or replacing it with an aftermarket one like this https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-xtreme-iv.html. With the way the market is right now, I really can't say that you should spend the money on a graphics card especially since it's not really an upgrade for you.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1123
Rep
7,438
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasghetti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
less than $400,

Gaming mostly
Unfortunately, right now is a terrible time to be shopping for a graphics card. With the crypocurrency hype in full swing, the cost of cards are almost double of that they are supposed to be.

With your budget, you could have gotten a GTX 1070 or something from AMDs new Vega series but with the way things are now, your only options are the GTX1060 or the AMD RX500 line up.

If it's just your fan that's failing, perhaps try cleaning it out or replacing it with an aftermarket one like this https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-xtreme-iv.html. With the way the market is right now, I really can't say that you should spend the money on a graphics card especially since it's not really an upgrade for you.
Agree. I did try to clean out the bearings of one of the fans. It's working for the moment.

Just going to wait it out for a long as I can.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
amgraham
New Member
41
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

I realize this thread hasn't been updated in a week or so but yeah... *WAIT*... I bought an MSI RX580 8GB X Gaming (or whatever) on Black Friday for $299. Was for the VR/gaming rig my son and I built together as a Christmas present.

Holy crap... The cheapest, comparable I can find "in stock" now is $678. WTF? The miners are really disrupting the market.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet1123.00

      01-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
1334
Rep
4,707
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, B8.5 A4
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgraham View Post
I realize this thread hasn't been updated in a week or so but yeah... *WAIT*... I bought an MSI RX580 8GB X Gaming (or whatever) on Black Friday for $299. Was for the VR/gaming rig my son and I built together as a Christmas present.

Holy crap... The cheapest, comparable I can find "in stock" now is $678. WTF? The miners are really disrupting the market.
A friend of mine just posted on FB he got 4 GTX 1070s to build a rig for mining... WTF, he's the reason we can't find reasonably priced video cards for computers.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
amgraham
New Member
41
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
A friend of mine just posted on FB he got 4 GTX 1070s to build a rig for mining... WTF, he's the reason we can't find reasonably priced video cards for computers.
When you go to search for prices on video cards and the top hits are all by the 6-pack or dozen... yeah.... it's a problem.

I would have preferred to have waited as I even thought $299 was high but... sheesh... Glad I jumped on that $299 Amazon Prime deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1123
Rep
7,438
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgraham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
A friend of mine just posted on FB he got 4 GTX 1070s to build a rig for mining... WTF, he's the reason we can't find reasonably priced video cards for computers.
When you go to search for prices on video cards and the top hits are all by the 6-pack or dozen... yeah.... it's a problem.

I would have preferred to have waited as I even thought $299 was high but... sheesh... Glad I jumped on that $299 Amazon Prime deal.
Picked up a 6GB GTX 1060 for $310.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST