Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
good deal? well how much do you plan on spending?

lol, as little as possible!

seriously though, I've done a little calling around so far, and have gotten prices that range b/w stores at over $5000! (again, just the range in quotes, for the same exact ring) This seems to me to be a little nuts. Basically, I'm just looking to avoid getting reamed.
As little as possible? Don't you love her?

If you're worried about getting reamed, you need to educate youself on the subject. Learn about the 4 C's: Cut, Clarity, Carat, Color. Each of these attributes has a grading scale.
  1. Cut: the shape of the diamond. Round, Marquise, Princess. It also indicates the way the facets have been cut. Some diamonds have more facets than others.
  2. Clarity: How flawless the stone is. How many occlusions or defects it has and how noticeable they are under a 10x jeweler's loupe.
  3. Carat: the weight of the diamond. The higher the carat the larger the stone and the more it costs (compared to a diamond of equal color, clarity, and cut.
  4. Color: How clear the stone is throughout. Stones range in color from clear down to a pale yellow. The clearer the stone the higher the price, again compared to an equal stone.
As mentioned earlier, research as much as you can. Then go to a reputable jeweler (not some shady fella in a trenchcoat promising the perfect diamond for $500) and ask questions. Then ask more questions. If you have any doubts about whether you understand any aspect, ask more questions. Once you've educated yourself you're ready to begin shopping around. The more you know before sitting in front of the salesperson, the less likely they will be able to give you less than you (and she) deserve.

Be sure to get an International Gemmological Information Appraisal Report. If the jeweler won't give you one, walk away. This is an appraisal of the value of the stone itself sans any mounting. It will show a diagram of the top of the stone, the profile of the stone, and will have marks showing where the occlusions occur within. It will also have a photograph. Among information reported is the shape and cut with the measurements and weight; the proportions between the depth, table, girdle, culet; the finish with the polish and symmetry; the clarity grade; the color grade and flourescence.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 05:29 AM   #24
KennyVendetta
Salsero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
As little as possible? Don't you love her?

Buying a big diamond =/= LOVE.

Our society is so brainwashed.

Pick up - Jan 18 2007
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 05:37 AM   #25
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
$5k is not alot if you were to buy a premium diamond that was flawless. You would be lucky to get a .50 carat. But yeah we are brainwashed.
      08-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #26
bmwhomosapien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: COOL

are yall seriosly telling this man to buy from costco.....go to a jewlery place like zales jewlers hannoush jewerlers and thing COSTCO??? ur ganna get shit from there
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #27
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

thanks for the responses.

to SoYank: Yes I do love her, but as others have said, love =/= going broke and getting a 7ct diamond, at least for me it doesn't. You're absolutely right about getting educated though, and I highly recommend that to everyone. I know exactly what I am looking for (both mount and stone), and now am am in the shopping around phase, looking for the right price.
---

All:
The reason I'm doing this is because from the little shopping around that I have done so far, I've seen prices range by over $5000 b/w jewelers for the exact same ring. The jewelry business seems to be one hell of a racket if you ask me. Hence, I wanted to post here and ask other people's experiences. I figure if I cast a wider net, maybe I'll learn something that I didn't know before.

Asiann, I will definitely check out the sites you gave, (thanks!) and post back. BTW, the ring taxi is an M5!

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 09:45 AM   #28
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhomosapien
are yall seriosly telling this man to buy from costco.....go to a jewlery place like zales jewlers hannoush jewerlers and thing COSTCO??? ur ganna get shit from there
lol, already checked online, and not feeling the rings, mostly b/c my gir's very specific in what she wants, and the ones they have unfortunately aren't even close. However, will be heading there today though, so I'll swing by the jewelry counter just in case though.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #29
DLJJ3399
Lack of charisma can be fatal...
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
Just so you don't make a mistake and so you can get her the diamond and ring she really wants.

Hint at getting married. If she already knows this. Plan to go to the mall and casually stop by a jeweler.

She'll let you know exactly what she wants in a egagement ring. That way you're sure to get the right ring.

My 2 cents. Which wouldn't buy much of a diamond.
      08-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #30
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:

to SoYank: Yes I do love her, but as others have said, love =/= going broke and getting a 7ct diamond, at least for me it doesn't. You're absolutely right about getting educated though, and I highly recommend that to everyone. I know exactly what I am looking for (both mount and stone), and now am am in the shopping around phase, looking for the right price.
---
Actually I forgot to include the . I've no doubt you do.

BTW, a 7ct diamond is enormous.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #31
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hell even a 4ct is huge. My great aunt loves to show off her ring during our family christmas parties. 4.03ct, brilliant cut, flawless and colorless diamond.....it costed $50,000 back in 1985!!! That thing will blind you if you look at it in the wrong way

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #32
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
hmmm....what do you suppose that would cost today? Do diamonds appriciate over time, stays the same, or is it more like gold where the price just fluctuates?

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #33
DLJJ3399
Rep

Garage List
I think they stay the same and sometimes go down in value. Unless of course it's very unique, blue, red, etc..

It really depends on the buyer and what they'll pay for it. Ever see a diamond in a pawn shop. Very inexpensive.

They really aren't a unique stone. Almost just like gravel cause there's so many of them. The diamond cartel just controls the amount of diamonds on the market.

But then again the people from DeBeers aren't allowed in the US and will be arrested on site.
      08-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #34
DLJJ3399
Rep

Garage List
Oops... They trade here now. My bad...

The De Beers Group is a Johannesburg-based diamond mining and trading corporation. They have historically held a near-total monopoly in the diamond trade, although recently other producers have developed new mines, such as in Russia and Canada, challenging their dominance.

In 1994 De Beers was charged by the United States Justice Department with antitrust violations for conspiring to fix prices for industrial diamonds. On 14 July 2004 De Beers pleaded guilty to the charges and paid a $10 million fine. The plea has enabled De Beers to trade directly in the United States diamond market after years of acting through intermediaries. Using its monopoly, De Beers has created an artificial scarcity of diamonds, thus keeping prices high.

The modern tradition of diamonds as a part of engagement in many cultures has been largely created by De Beers through an amazingly effective advertising campaign started in 1938. The "A Diamond is Forever" campaign not only convinced the public that the only suitable gift for engagement is a diamond, but also served to limit the market in used diamonds. [1]

De Beers distributes diamonds to favored customers (called sightholders) by selecting batches of diamonds themselves and offering them "as is". Now and in the past De Beers has sold diamonds mined from their own mines, most of which are in South Africa and Botswana. Currently, De Beers is involved in a joint venture that is developing a diamond prospect in Canada.
      08-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #35
Hiro
Joji Nagashima E90 神
Rep
Drives: 06' AW 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
If you are shopping online, I have had good experience with Abazias Diamonds. They are one on the most popular online diamond dealers. Good luck !

Check em' out.

http://www.abazias.com/
2006 330i MT - Alpine White -Black Leather/Aluminum Trim - ZSP - ZPP - Navi - PDC - Comfort Access - Heated Seats - Blackline Tailights - Euro Rear Fog Lights - OEM Aluminum Pedals - OEM Alarm - PIAA LED H-432s - Xenesis H11 - Soon To Be Euro Passion'd
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #36
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

SoYank has got the right idea, you really, really need to educate yourself before you shop. I have seen a lot of gimmicks out there. You may get better quality/price if you shop overseas. I'm not kidding. I bought my wife's approx 1.6 carat for about $10k. Its worth about $15-20k in the U.S. Dubai and the Middle East actually have the best diamonds probably in the world. I heard they have blue or black diamonds there.

E90 Mods (work in progress): Euro Xenon Headlamps, 19" ASA AR-1's with Toyo T1R 235 fronts and 275 rears, Breyton style front spoiler, Breyton style rear spoiler, Huper Optik 40% Tint, TiAG with Black 'ette and Aluminum trim, Chrome grills, chrome exhaust, Hartge lowering springs, PMB Hyperwhites.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #37
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

The reason I'm doing this is because from the little shopping around that I have done so far, I've seen prices range by over $5000 b/w jewelers for the exact same ring.
What do you mean the exact same ring, no 2 diamonds are the same
      08-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #38
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
hmmm....what do you suppose that would cost today? Do diamonds appriciate over time, stays the same, or is it more like gold where the price just fluctuates?
Depends. A good white larger diamond with few imperfections will probably appreciate. My wive's ring has roughly doubled in value in 5 years
      08-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #39
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

i don't know how she feels, but i would much rather have a smaller carat diamond that looks incredible than a huge one that looks ok. For example, this one looks really teeny but to me it is more impressive than a larger diamond with poor quality..

http://www.tiffany.com has rings starting under $2k.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #40
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

---

All:
The reason I'm doing this is because from the little shopping around that I have done so far, I've seen prices range by over $5000 b/w jewelers for the exact same ring. The jewelry business seems to be one hell of a racket if you ask me. Hence, I wanted to post here and ask other people's experiences. I figure if I cast a wider net, maybe I'll learn something that I didn't know before.

Asiann, I will definitely check out the sites you gave, (thanks!) and post back. BTW, the ring taxi is an M5!
That's awesome! Good luck! If you have a friend that is in the military I highly suggest you go with him/her and see what they may offer.
      08-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #41
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper
What do you mean the exact same ring, no 2 diamonds are the same
... same stone/band specs given to all jewelers. In other words, A=/=B. Instead, A = B,C,D, or whatever the hell they feel like quoting

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #42
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Got a question, are there problems with people handing out fake or counterfeit IGA certificates with diamonds?

I hear you can save enormous amounts of money buying overseas, but it sounds like that not every country uses the same grading systems. Does anyone know more about buying internationally?

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #43
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
QVC ... buy her a big @$$ CZ; spend the rest on mods!!! ....she'll never know
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #44
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

There are plenty of reputable stores in the Chicago area.I don't think you want to buy a diamond ring online.They are priced according to clarity and weight.I think the best way to learn about quality is to go to a few of the higher end stores and let them educate you about what to look for.You can also go to the Mallards Building ( The Jewelers Building) at 5 S. Wabash in Chicago,there's plenty of Jewelers there...good luck and Congrats on your future engagement...
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread