BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-11-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
yukos
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Hi guys!

Did anyone try to upgrade to air suspension?

I've seen many options on the after market, but can't find any reviews or feedback about them.

I guess this upgrade would be the only workable solution to make the super stiff ride smoother and more confortable on bad roads.

Or maybe you have other suggestions how to soften the ride? Alternative tires? Other suspension parts, etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Hadn’t heard of it for the i3... curious to see if you find anything.
I just received my BC Racing coilovers. Looking to go lower and maintain comfort.
Appreciate 1
yukos1.00
      09-13-2021, 10:30 PM   #3
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
I'd be interested in an air suspension i3.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
yukos
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

So here is what I've mananged to research so far:

1. Here is post from a russian forum where a mechanic has managed to install air struts on a i3. I wrote him and he confirmed that the ride became smoother and that he could send me the corresponding parts so that I install them in my city: https://www.drive2.com/c/584246395213461185/

2. This company seems to produce Air Struts / Suspension for i3: https://www.f2suspension.com/product...01-air-struts/

I am going to write them, asking more details about what else's included in the kit (for example does it come with a compressor as well, some sensors that detects the speed, car rolling position, etc in order to adapt the suspension to the ride).

As far as I'm informed many aftermarket air suspensions are made for pimping the ride, so that the user can lift and lower the car, and not orietend towards making the ride smother or sportier depeding on the needs.

3. In the meanwhile have found out that wheels can also be retrofited with R18 with wider tires, which will require wheel spacers and the arcs from i3s.

Would be great if you guys can dig on the internet more info and to share here the solutions to i3's super-stiff ride.

Cheers!
Julian
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 12:07 PM   #5
Iteixeira
Cucho
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukos View Post
Hi guys!

Did anyone try to upgrade to air suspension?

I've seen many options on the after market, but can't find any reviews or feedback about them.

I guess this upgrade would be the only workable solution to make the super stiff ride smoother and more confortable on bad roads.

Or maybe you have other suggestions how to soften the ride? Alternative tires? Other suspension parts, etc?
https://www.fitmentindustries.com/st...feelair-struts
Appreciate 0