BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

01-08-2022, 01:53 AM   #1
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
IX headrest design... thoughts?

I personally find existing BMWs headrest to be uncomfortable...
I'm around 5'10 and always push my g05 x5's headrest all the way back and I still feel uncomfortable.

I noticed that IX has a fixed headrest.... has anyone heard about how it feels? I'm surprised no one discussed about this.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 02:55 AM   #2
NordicX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy View Post
I'm around 5'10 and always push my g05 x5's headrest all the way back and I still feel uncomfortable.

I noticed that IX has a fixed headrest.... has anyone heard about how it feels? I'm surprised no one discussed about this.
I took delivery of an iX 40 three days ago and I have the seats that come as standard. I’m 175cm (which equals 5 foot 9 if I’ve not mistaken). I find the seats very comfortable. I think there might be issues if one is very tall, as you cannot extend the lower part of the seat to support longer legs, or if you are very short the plastic part in the headrest might be an issue. But for an “average” person I think the seats should be in most cases very comfortable. I come from an X3 with the standard M sport package seats(not the optional extra M seats which are even sportier). I’ve also had a 5 series (f11) with comfort seats. I would say that the standard feeling of comfort is better than the X3 seats as these seats are slightly softer and couch-like. However, there are not that many adjustments which I think is superior in the comfort seats or x5 seats.

But everything is personal. My neck is a bit forward leaning so I find these headrests very nice. the headrests are also very soft. But sounds to me that you if you put your headrest far back in other cars it might be a problem for you. As said, there are not as many adjustments in these (standard) seats when it comes to seat length, side support, headrest etc.

Last edited by NordicX3; 01-08-2022 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:06 AM   #3
NiallG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive40 Sport

We had our iX (xDrive4) delivered 2 weeks ago.

I find the headrest to be OK for me/comfortable, don't mind the top bit - however my wife who is a bit shorter has found the open plastic rectangle area to be very uncomfortable as her head basically rests against it. Particularly if I accelerate and her head tilts back a bit unexpectedly. Similar for her of course when she is driving.

We rang the dealer to see if there was any new iX accessories that could slot in there and make it more comfortable but there isn't anything yet (nor does it sound like they have thought about making one). We are going away next weekend (2 x 2hr drives) and are probably going to try and buy a cheap seat headrest cushion designed for other cars (which has elastic strap to wrap it around the seat).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #4
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallG View Post

I find the headrest to be OK for me/comfortable, don't mind the top bit - however my wife who is a bit shorter has found the open plastic rectangle area to be very uncomfortable as her head basically rests against it. Particularly if I accelerate and her head tilts back a bit unexpectedly. Similar for her of course when she is driving.

We rang the dealer to see if there was any new iX accessories that could slot in there and make it more comfortable but there isn't anything yet (nor does it sound like they have thought about making one). We are going away next weekend (2 x 2hr drives) and are probably going to try and buy a cheap seat headrest cushion designed for other cars (which has elastic strap to wrap it around the seat).
How tall is your wife? My wife is petite as well and now I'm concerned about seat comfort for her.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 04:38 PM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
My wife is 5'2" and found the passenger seat very comfortable. We didn't drive, but did spend a deal of time fiddling with seat adjustments, height, etc. (and she's fairly picky). Better comfort in fact than our full Merino leather, top-optioned seating package in our current G05s with the M Sport kit, which are medium stiff (but not as much as true sport seats). She will be hugely disappointed though if the niddling "lumbar delete" - whatever that is - turns out to be removing the massage and multi-adjustment functions on the passenger seat. We use that a lot currently.
Appreciate 1
Bird~Dawg142.50
      03-06-2022, 04:43 PM   #6
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
My wife is 5'2" and found the passenger seat very comfortable. We didn't drive, but did spend a deal of time fiddling with seat adjustments, height, etc. (and she's fairly picky). Better comfort in fact than our full Merino leather, top-optioned seating package in our current G05s with the M Sport kit, which are medium stiff (but not as much as true sport seats). She will be hugely disappointed though if the niddling "lumbar delete" - whatever that is - turns out to be removing the massage and multi-adjustment functions on the passenger seat. We use that a lot currently.
I hear you on the lumbar delete. My wife gets lower back pain and she'll be seriously disappointed if we lose anything in her seat. Our build isn't until May so fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #7
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
The build sheet shows lumbar and back-width adjustment delete from the front passenger seat. Massage delete is implied since the massage function relies on the lumbar support air bladder.

My build sheet still shows multifunction seat for driver and passenger which would imply memory function, but my SA shared a note with me where they were told that the memory function is also removed from the passenger seat. Guess we'll only know when I take delivery.
Attached Images

Last edited by hugo_nz; 03-06-2022 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #8
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
The build sheet shows lumbar and back-width adjustment delete from the front passenger seat. Massage delete is implied since the massage function relies on the lumbar support air bladder.

My build sheet still shows multifunction seat for driver and passenger which would imply memory function, but my SA shared a note with me where they were told that the memory function is also removed from the passenger seat. Guess we'll only know when I take delivery.
in the X5 forums, someone mentioned that BMW was giving a credit for lost features like this and offering to possibly retrofit the feature at a later date (when parts are available) for the same amount of the credit. Was anything like this mentioned to you?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:19 PM   #9
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
in the X5 forums, someone mentioned that BMW was giving a credit for lost features like this and offering to possibly retrofit the feature at a later date (when parts are available) for the same amount of the credit. Was anything like this mentioned to you?
Indeed. I received an NZ$800 discount on the purchase price of the iX. No mention of a retrofit though, and to be honest I know a fair bit about BMW retrofits and this is unlikely to be one they offer. Maybe lumbar support since that's just a lordosis pad and small pump connect to the can-bus, but certainly not the back-width adjustment, since that requires an entirely different backrest frame.
      03-06-2022, 07:32 PM   #10
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What's interesting on my US build, is that it merely says 48Z, "Passenger Lumbar Delete," with a -$175 (it would seem like deleting the seat memory, massage function and any bladders - basically all seat adjustments except for up, down, forward and back - would be considerably more than that). And on the configurator it clearly shows a memory button on the passenger side, which it does not without the Premium package, even though the summary sheet states the above delete. Will be interested to see what actually shows up for you....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 08:01 PM   #11
PhilD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX 50

Quote:
When I asked my dealer, he said that the Comfort Package that the massage features were a part of had a reduced price for the time being due to the shortage. A couple of hundred quid off I think but I didn't have a pen and paper handy at the time to write it down.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 08:17 PM   #12
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And not unique to the iX of course:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1805504

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1803315

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1835616

Or even BMW:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaModelY...assenger_seat/
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 08:24 PM   #13
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

yup it is a crappy situation all around. I swear I remember reading someone talking about being able to retrofit the missing items later for the amount of the credit.... but I searched for the post and was not able to locate it. Maybe it was in one of the other forums...

I was curious to know if that was a BMW NA decision, that specific dealer (I highly doubt it) or BMW HQ that had offered that but now I am second guessing myself about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 08:50 PM   #14
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
What's interesting on my US build, is that it merely says 48Z, "Passenger Lumbar Delete," with a -$175 (it would seem like deleting the seat memory, massage function and any bladders - basically all seat adjustments except for up, down, forward and back - would be considerably more than that). And on the configurator it clearly shows a memory button on the passenger side, which it does not without the Premium package, even though the summary sheet states the above delete. Will be interested to see what actually shows up for you....
Yeah so that would be on your order sheet. Once the car is built the VIN decode will show the extent of what gets removed (which is the screenshot I posted).

For what it's worth though the iX seats, even the multifunction ones, are pretty basic in that they do not have articulated backrests or extending thigh support. They have fore/aft, up/down, seat tilt up/down, backrest forward/backward and where not deleted backrest sides in/out and lumbar left/right, up/down, in/out. It's a departure from the comfort seats I had in my X5 and 7 series where they could adjust 20-ways.
      03-06-2022, 09:01 PM   #15
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
yup it is a crappy situation all around. I swear I remember reading someone talking about being able to retrofit the missing items later for the amount of the credit.... but I searched for the post and was not able to locate it. Maybe it was in one of the other forums...

I was curious to know if that was a BMW NA decision, that specific dealer (I highly doubt it) or BMW HQ that had offered that but now I am second guessing myself about it.
The issue with retrofits of any nature is the cost of labour and parts as well as the risk of damage to other components. My 650i did not have lumbar support (optional extra back in 2012) so I installed a lumbar kit myself. The amount of work required to fit it was disproportional to the benefit gained. Sure, I had lumbar support but it required essentially taking the seat out of the car and disassembling it. Then there's the risk of damage to the backrest covers, frame, springs, wires, wiring, trim etc.
      09-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #16
jgdek
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiallG View Post

I am also short (5') and the metal on the head rest on the bmw iX hits the back of my head. Did you find a pillow that you like, and if so, which one?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 01:59 PM   #17
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgdek View Post
I am also short (5') and the metal on the head rest on the bmw iX hits the back of my head. Did you find a pillow that you like, and if so, which one?
It’s just spray painted plastic…
      09-10-2022, 06:48 AM   #18
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy View Post

A la 911- it's perfect and doesn't interfere with your head
Appreciate 0