Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #1
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Beethoven's 9th Symphony Anniversary

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
There is no lounge here on Bimmerpost so I'll post this here.
Tuesday is the 200th Anniversary of the May 7 1824 first public performance of Beethoven's 9th Symphony.
The Ode to Joy is an enormous bold triumph of the accomplishment of Beethoven and Western Civilization.
The Germans who build our BMWs and the rest of us in the West are very proud of Beethoven and the 9th Symphony as it continues to be played by symphonies in black tie events all over the world.
The choral 5th movement is unique to classical music and represents Beethoven's interpretation of the bond between Heaven and Earth.
It is a Secular Religious Experience.

This symphony seems to be a journey to and from the vast darkness of space and human life on Earth. Beethoven seems to be conveying his deep understanding of man's place in the universe.

https://www.cmuse.org/impact-of-beet...inth-symphony/

It also gives the B&W system a tremendous workout

Appreciate 7
NomoTesla2273.00
deutsch1004010.00
Paladin15589.00
LVBMW1471.00
LukeATL52.50
m3_08609.00
      Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
And almost completely deaf by the time it was composed. An incredible work, for myriad reasons....
Appreciate 3
LVBMW1471.00
deutsch1004010.00
      Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #3
M60Cruiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
And almost completely deaf by the time it was composed. An incredible work, for myriad reasons....
Yes the only other composer I play regularly is Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Bethoven actually met Mozart.
On a visit to Vienna with his father, the young Beethoven at age 17 did meet and play for Mozart who was duly impressed. He was intending on studying with Mozart but had to return to Bonn and Mozart himself died five years later.

I have all 41 Mozart Symphonies he started writing when he was 8 years old but usually play the more complex Symphonies 19 to 41.
Tragically Mozart died when he was 35.
Mozart used way more notes than Beethoven with some parts of his symphonies having up to a mindbending 20 notes per second.
And Mozart wrote everything straight with no corrections.
It just poured out of his head.

Both Mozart and Beethoven had what I call the Super Human Brain.
Appreciate 5
LukeATL52.50
m3_08609.00
Paladin15589.00
deutsch1004010.00
      Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #4
Ludwig Van Beemer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, BMW Z3M, VW GTI

I approve this thread
      Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #5
darylp310
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
M60Cruiser creating this thread automatically makes me think of Don Dorsey's electronic renditions of Beethoven and Bach. I remember these were the standard CDs we'd use to test out the subwoofers in our car audio systems in the 80's and 90's. I'd love to hear these albums on M60Cruiser's subwoofers in his custom iX:

Beethoven or Bust
https://open.spotify.com/album/21Xeq...Q2K97XxK_lPLzw

Bachbusters
https://open.spotify.com/album/1MQIA...RoWYlrFUvLytyg
Appreciate 1
Paladin15589.00
      Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
We often think of classical composers as the stern bust on the piano, forgetting how human they were. Remarkable humans, to be sure. About a hundred years before Beethoven was born, in the days when every gentleman put on a sword when they put on their pants, there was another remarkable composer, G. F. Handel. In that age if you offended someone, or expressed that you were offended, you didn't get a mean Tweet - you might likely receive a formal request to meet under the oaks at 8 o'clock sharp, and to bring a friend.

When Handel was a fiery young lad of 19, he got into an argument with a fellow composer and contemporary, Johann Mattheson, over who should sit in the conductor's chair at the Hamburg Opera. Matthesson allowed it should be him, Handel disabled that notion. Nothing would do but to draw swords. The weapon of choice in those days was the smallsword, which frequently was not immediately fatal but settled differences by a hit. Or two. Or three. Or four. Often leaving wounds unsearchable by a surgeon, with the loser (and sometimes the winner) dying of sepsis some time after.

As it happened, by contemporary accounts, in the course of the argument Mattheson struck Handel full in the chest, with what would have almost certainly been a fatal thrust. Except it struck a button on his coat, breaking the blade. Seconds halted the proceedings to ascertain why Georg was not dead. On the discovery, perhaps a miracle was declared. Perhaps the engaged parties had regrets. It's only noted that what did happen was that Handel and Mattheson became fast friends and reconciled on the spot.

More importantly for us who came after, this all occurred before the Messiah. Before the Chorus. Before George II sprang to his feet at Neal's Music Hall in Dublin on hearing it, reviving both the work and Handel's fortunes. Allowing the creation of one of the most profound and beloved compositions in the history of music. Because of a button.

Classical music is more than just old Germans in wigs...
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004010.00
      Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #7
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

LOVE this thread!!! Deutsche Musik Ich liebe dies!
Appreciate 1
Paladin15589.00