BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Dealer Responsibility

Okay so I have a friend who's in a predicament.
She bought a new Toyota Camry from the dealer a year or so back with some chrome rims that were already on the car when she bought it. The rims were $1500 and she didn't get the OE rims/tires when she bought the car either.

So I stoppd by yesterday to pick up my god daughter and she was out changing her rear tire becuase there was a large cut in the tire from her running over a razor blade and she was ranting about her trip to the dealer.

Basically she's been complaining about the front tires and how her floorboard makes a lot of noise when she drives in the car. The rear of the car rubs when there are a couple of adults in the back seat. The dealer told her that her tires were under inflated and that one was cupped and the other had a flat spot.

So I can understand that but when I looked at the rear of the car, the rims/tires seem too wide for that car. The suspension perch where the springs are sits on the tire about 1/4 the width of the tire/rim so that when it's under load, it would rub.

So my question is: should the dealer be responsible for putting a rim on a car that is too wide?
The tire is 265/65(I think)/18 on a 2005 Camry
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Incorrect tire/rim size for the car. Compare them to OEM specs and find out why.

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
yea, check OEM tires and see what the diff is, that should answer the problem. if it is, then the dealer is at fault
      04-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Also was the car Purchased new or used? I've never heard of a Toyota Dealer putting Big CHROME wheels on a Camry...

If it was pre-owned then I'd say it's all over with. If the wheels were installed by the dealer and the car is still under warranty I'd say she's probably in good shape to get em' removed, and have OEM wheels put on.
      04-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Also was the car Purchased new or used? I've never heard of a Toyota Dealer putting Big CHROME wheels on a Camry...

If it was pre-owned then I'd say it's all over with. If the wheels were installed by the dealer and the car is still under warranty I'd say she's probably in good shape to get em' removed, and have OEM wheels put on.
It was brand new on the lot
and that's EXACTLY what I said

It probably doesn't help that I live in a town where every SUV on used car lots are advertised with 20's or larger...
There are even BMW's out here that have chrome wheels... and it's not the powder coated chrome... it's 50 lb chrome crap
Appreciate 0