Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post
Dont fret it Mason. You probably lucked out on a few things:
1: You may have bought your car a bit on the expensive side, you were stopped making a even worse decision by the value drop.
2: The 991 GT3 is wildly overpriced, and many of them sold over sticker. They're sure to drop, much more so than the i8.
3: The i8 is a much better car, its more interesting, its prettier but it IS slower round the track.
The 991.2 GT3 will hold its value enormously better than the i8 or the M5. I can sell my GT3 right now for more than I paid— not kidding. That said, I love the i8 and am considering buying when lease is up. It's not always about resale ....if you love the car, that's worth something.
Appreciate 1
zorgzx21.00
      08-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #24
Fifer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Red Edition

Garage List
2107 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
2: The 991 GT3 is wildly overpriced, and many of them sold over sticker. They're sure to drop, much more so than the i8.
If ia GT3 isoverpriced, why is it selling over list? You are on your own if you think a GT3 will depreciate more than an I8. A fifteen your old GT3 is still holding its value.

Don’t buy a reasonably new I8 if you are looking to retain value.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #25
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
Quote:
If ia GT3 isoverpriced, why is it selling over list? You are on your own if you think a GT3 will depreciate more than an I8. A fifteen your old GT3 is still holding its value.

Exactly
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #26
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Dont fret it Mason. You probably lucked out on a few things:
1: You may have bought your car a bit on the expensive side, you were stopped making a even worse decision by the value drop.
3: The i8 is a much better car, its more interesting, its prettier but it IS slower round the track.
And " the i8 is a much better car"?? In what universe? Apples to oranges comparison but no car enthusiast could claim it's better than the new GT3... just watch a few reviews on YouTube, Chris Harris has an interesting one.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #27
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifer View Post

Al lot of GT3's have risen violently in value, including the latest versions.
They're not rising any more and the factory is producing enough cars now, so the over sticker cars are relative to a allready depreciated i8 sure to fall more.

No dont buy a reasonably new i8 if you want value to retain, buy an older allready dropped, and still dont expect it to hold its value yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #28
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post
The 991.2 GT3 will hold its value enormously better than the i8 or the M5. I can sell my GT3 right now for more than I paid— not kidding. That said, I love the i8 and am considering buying when lease is up. It's not always about resale ....if you love the car, that's worth something.
You can now, and should if youre in it for the money, they will surely drop.
The m5 was even worse than the i8 for resale value, but that is just not a special enough car to warrant going up later. I think the i8 will continue to tumble at bit more before it stabilises.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #29
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
And " the i8 is a much better car"?? In what universe? Apples to oranges comparison but no car enthusiast could claim it's better than the new GT3... just watch a few reviews on YouTube, Chris Harris has an interesting one.
As a track car the i8 is crap compared to the gt3.
Every other task is done much better than the porker.

It's more fun to drive at sane speeds, much more lively at the wheel unless you go 200km/h on public roads.
Its much easier to fit your kids.
Its much prettier.
much cheaper spares.
etc etc.

I have driven over 200.000km in 911's and deeply respect what it is, and thoroughly enjoy a car that handles "the ring" so well while being able to carry your kids and take you to meetings.

But at the end of the day, and especially the 991+ models its just wildly overpriced, technologically lost, noisy and not built to the price its sold anymore.

Nowadays what a 991 does really well is win tests with lots of track driving in.

Never thought I'd post against a 911, but there you go.

My point was simply. As a daily driver the gt3 is going to be a worse exp than a i8.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #30
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

This car will go up in value in 15 years. Look at the Z8 and m1. Right now it's low but keep it clean and low miles and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #31
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
This car will go up in value in 15 years. Look at the Z8 and m1. Right now it's low but keep it clean and low miles and you'll be fine.
Don't think so. Too many made. Prices will go the same way as the 8 series of the 90s.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #32
Jason B
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Quote:
You can now, and should if youre in it for the money, they will surely drop.
The m5 was even worse than the i8 for resale value, but that is just not a special enough car to warrant going up later. I think the i8 will continue to tumble at bit more before it stabilises.
I just got a 2016 loaded with laser headlights for a friend. 2016, 2,500 miles, $92k. I've seen some others similiar for in mid 80's. You really think they'll drop more before it stabilises?

Quote:
It's more fun to drive at sane speeds, much more lively at the wheel unless you go 200km/h on public roads.
Its much prettier.
much cheaper spares.
etc etc.
What is, the i8?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #33
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Its much prettier.
much cheaper spares.
etc etc.

I have driven over 200.000km in 911's and deeply respect what it is, and thoroughly enjoy a car that handles "the ring" so well while being able to carry your kids and take you to meetings.

But at the end of the day, and especially the 991+ models its just wildly overpriced, technologically lost, noisy and not built to the price its sold anymore.

Nowadays what a 991 does really well is win tests with lots of track driving in.

My point was simply. As a daily driver the gt3 is going to be a worse exp than a i8.
definitely not worse but very different, downshift and throttle in the GT3 is an event
. Both enjoyable, you can't pick a favorite kid......
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:28 AM   #34
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
I just got a 2016 loaded with laser headlights for a friend. 2016, 2,500 miles, $92k. I've seen some others similiar for in mid 80's. You really think they'll drop more before it stabilises?
Yes. The roadster will force the coupe down a bit. But when that is old news and plenty used roadsters are on the market, the 2 extra seats will prbbly bump it above in value like many similar cars.
Problem with i8 is hybrid is yesterdays news. Noone cares it actually drives brilliantly and is a stylish coupe with carbon body.

If theres a cult following and upgrade path aftermarket, it could rise a lot.
But I agree with most here it is not a sound investment car.
It IS a fantastic CAR.
Quote:
What is, the i8?
Yes very pretty and oh so special. GT3 looks like every other 911, but with boy racer wings.

Again, for trackday sunday thrills a gt3 has it licked on all accounts. If you're not a stellar driver and dont enjoy 200km+ in the twisties an i8 has it licked.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #35
Jason B
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes. The roadster will force the coupe down a bit. But when that is old news and plenty used roadsters are on the market, the 2 extra seats will prbbly bump it above in value like many similar cars.
Problem with i8 is hybrid is yesterdays news. Noone cares it actually drives brilliantly and is a stylish coupe with carbon body.

If theres a cult following and upgrade path aftermarket, it could rise a lot.
But I agree with most here it is not a sound investment car.
It IS a fantastic CAR.

Yes very pretty and oh so special. GT3 looks like every other 911, but with boy racer wings.

Again, for trackday sunday thrills a gt3 has it licked on all accounts. If you're not a stellar driver and dont enjoy 200km+ in the twisties an i8 has it licked.
Very good points! I have s2000 and was very impressed with the i8. Actually shocked. I thought it was going to be a wimpy electric car with nothing else, but it's more sport than anything, and the other parts come second.

This sums it up perfect.

Read the text here:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-video...-150000-258780
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #36
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
I just got a 2016 loaded with laser headlights for a friend. 2016, 2,500 miles, $92k. I've seen some others similiar for in mid 80's...
You got a 2016 i8 in the USA with Laser Headlights? Please, do tell!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #37
Jason B
Private
Rep

Yep. The option only came out in 2016 and is an option for the roadster as well. Maybe your's has?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #38
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Yep. The option only came out in 2016 and is an option for the roadster as well. Maybe your's has?
I thought they were new for 2019. Yes, my Roadster has them...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #39
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Its much prettier.
much cheaper spares.
etc etc.

I disagree with everything you have posted in this thread and I own an i8, 991 GT3 and 991 Turbo S.

You can still post here but i wanted the rest of the community to know the perspective of someone that actual owns, drives (on the roads) and races the cars you are talking about.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
Jo-Sta07474.00
      08-28-2018, 03:28 AM   #40
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I disagree with everything you have posted in this thread and I own an i8, 991 GT3 and 991 Turbo S.

You can still post here but i wanted the rest of the community to know the perspective of someone that actual owns, drives (on the roads) and races the cars you are talking about.
Great

And I'm deeply thankfull I'm still allowed to post here, your royal highness

Each to their own opinion. You may love a GT3 as a daily driver, I'd hate it.
It would be nice if you'd qualify your statements with a little actual insight. I ceartainly read a lot of posts about many cars I bought before I bought them, and really value owners that take the time to be honest about their cars.

As one that does both track, commuting and long motorway slogs, and have done so in many cars I find it odd you'd disagree totally with everything I say.

Point:
You use a i8 for daily driver, I state that is what it does better than the porks.
You have a GT3 for track, well THAT it does pretty much better than any car. Try fitting your kids thru the cage or just cleaning chocolate off the alcantara, or sitting in 50km traffic jam.
You have a Turbo for airstrip, well its SUPER fast, but I had a devil of a time having prolonged phone conversations even in my 991 @ anything above 100km/h.
etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 04:02 AM   #41
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo View Post
Don't think so. Too many made. Prices will go the same way as the 8 series of the 90s.
Had a long think about this one the other day. You might actually be right.
I agree the 8 went to hell, as too many were made.
The I8 ditto, but the carbon body and doors should make it a event big enough to stabilise the price or perhaps even rise in 3-4years time.

BUT, if bmw brings out a new even better carbon car with wild doors.. at a lower price point.. not so much. Eyes on the radar
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #42
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Great

And I'm deeply thankfull I'm still allowed to post here, your royal highness

Each to their own opinion. You may love a GT3 as a daily driver, I'd hate it.
It would be nice if you'd qualify your statements with a little actual insight. I ceartainly read a lot of posts about many cars I bought before I bought them, and really value owners that take the time to be honest about their cars.

As one that does both track, commuting and long motorway slogs, and have done so in many cars I find it odd you'd disagree totally with everything I say.

Point:
You use a i8 for daily driver, I state that is what it does better than the porks.
You have a GT3 for track, well THAT it does pretty much better than any car. Try fitting your kids thru the cage or just cleaning chocolate off the alcantara, or sitting in 50km traffic jam.
You have a Turbo for airstrip, well its SUPER fast, but I had a devil of a time having prolonged phone conversations even in my 991 @ anything above 100km/h.
etc.
Over 5,000 posts of such insight but sometimes like in this case it's likely falling on deaf ears. Your take on pricing/value of GT3 vs i8 was particularly amusing.

You probably didn't see the used $150k msrp 991.2 GT3 sell for over $200k ($195k plus 10% sellers premium) at Mecum this weekend the same day that the 2016 $150k msrp i8 bidding stopped at $70k.

Have a nice day.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
wanesso193.00
      08-29-2018, 02:45 AM   #43
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Over 5,000 posts of such insight but sometimes like in this case it's likely falling on deaf ears. Your take on pricing/value of GT3 vs i8 was particularly amusing.

You probably didn't see the used $150k msrp 991.2 GT3 sell for over $200k ($195k plus 10% sellers premium) at Mecum this weekend the same day that the 2016 $150k msrp i8 bidding stopped at $70k.

Have a nice day.
Please do share some of those 5000 tidbits of insights.
How DO you do phone conferences in a 991 turbo on the way to a meeting 200km away? just drive 80km/h?

I don't live in the us, and buy my cars for fun. Some of them for investment. Like my NSX and a 997. But NOT the i8.

I DO agree that the gt3's sell over price. But I allso think it isnt a sustainable situation. Production of the 991.2 GT3 is way higher, and the waiting list nearly empty. At least here in DK. So I think the'yre likely to drop to a sane level.. perhaps 20% below msrp (wich is till fantastic and on par with ferraris). THAT could setup our threadstarter up for a loss in the region of 70K+.
Now he has a 90K car that is prbbly worth 70K, and likely to fall to perhaps 50-60 over the next 1-2 years.

My point was he might have saved himself ANOTHER big loss. AND BTW a GT3 is a shitty car round town.

Now I may be wrong that the market continues to skyrocket on GT3's. Granted. I just don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #44
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

i8 is a far better daily driver and long distance car than any 911 will be. But I agree it is unsuited to the track.

After a few laps at Brands Hatch, the electric power was finished. And mechanical grip is too low, thanks to the narrow tyres and small brakes.
Appreciate 0