BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

12-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
RSouthern
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

coding - defaults?

We purchased a CPO 2018 i3 Rex and absolutely love it! Great car and super fun to run around town in. It's supposed to be for my daughter but my wife has been using daily for errands since she hit a deer in her X7 several weeks ago and we're still working with the insurance company ($40k+ in damage so far!!!)

One question to the forum, is the pedestrian collision option normally set to off in the safety options? I think the former owner of this car did some coding since I can set the hold on charge option manually and I'm wondering if that same person also disabled this option for some reason.

thanks in advance

-Richard
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Just tested this on my 2020 and it does turn back on (after you leave, lock, and start back up).

If HOLD MODE is available on iDrive then the car is definitely coded. No harm though, if you got E-Sys just select the desired ECU and press "Code" to bring it back to defaults per your VO. If you code the top of the SVT tree, then you would bring the entire call back to defaults.
      12-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
MagicCarpet
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

I think the menu display in the car is confusing, making the selection on Idrive seems to cause the opposite of whats expected.
capt_slow your answer regarding E-Sys brings up a question :
I need to load a new map into the car Navi (NBT HU-H)
Can E-Sys be used to remove the Navi HD mapping system (country = Japan) and replace with a different country? I have E-Sys working to code the Rex and AM radio but dont see any obvious way to fix the NAVI to another country.
I dont want to change the whole car to another VO - just the map system - Japan being particuarly difficult BMW cant even do this - they have moved the VIN allocation to this country (Aus - NZ) though.

I tried the normal way buying the maps and FSC code from a known vendor the files when I put them on a formatted USB looked like this

unzipped file folder named 1; containing 12 unzipped file folders ADAS, AMD, BMM,
DBFEATURES, GDB, INFO_MAP, LIT, MISC, PIT, SDS,TIGEOMETRY, TINDS, XAC
these folders cotain one or more files

config.nfm file of 0 kB
NBT_AUSNZ_142171.3.111.pkg file 10kB
NBT_AUSNZ_142171.3.111.pkg.sig file 1kB
README file 1kB

I have not been able to get the car to read these files it just flashes the USB led then nothing (doesnt go to NAV menu or ask for FSC code)
the car will load and play music files if I place them on USB

A company can fix this locally for $650 and a day however if this is the only method I'd rather tape a $200 android tablet running Google maps over top of the 10" screen and cut my losses.
thanks for any suggestions
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 11:40 PM   #4
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
I think the menu display in the car is confusing, making the selection on Idrive seems to cause the opposite of whats expected.
capt_slow your answer regarding E-Sys brings up a question :
I need to load a new map into the car Navi (NBT HU-H)
Can E-Sys be used to remove the Navi HD mapping system (country = Japan) and replace with a different country? I have E-Sys working to code the Rex and AM radio but dont see any obvious way to fix the NAVI to another country.
I dont want to change the whole car to another VO - just the map system - Japan being particuarly difficult BMW cant even do this - they have moved the VIN allocation to this country (Aus - NZ) though.

I tried the normal way buying the maps and FSC code from a known vendor the files when I put them on a formatted USB looked like this

unzipped file folder named 1; containing 12 unzipped file folders ADAS, AMD, BMM,
DBFEATURES, GDB, INFO_MAP, LIT, MISC, PIT, SDS,TIGEOMETRY, TINDS, XAC
these folders cotain one or more files

config.nfm file of 0 kB
README file 1kB

I have not been able to get the car to read these files it just flashes the USB led then nothing (doesnt go to NAV menu or ask for FSC code)
the car will load and play music files if I place them on USB

A company can fix this locally for $650 and a day however if this is the only method I'd rather tape a $200 android tablet running Google maps over top of the 10" screen and cut my losses.
thanks for any suggestions
Your map vendor should have provided instructions to provision the USB and load the files to it. It's been ages since I had to update my maps over USB, but from what I dig up:
1) Download Map (all 5 parts):
2) Open only part1.rar with WinRAR and hit Extract.
​3) Copy the contents of the extracted NAVD_xxxxxxxx_xxx_xxx_xxx folder (just the contents and not the folder itself) to the root of a FAT32 Formatted (not ExFAT) Flash Drive.
4) Insert Flash Drive into the Center Armrest USB Port, wait 60 seconds, and then follow instructions on screen to enter FSC code

The map data itself is BIG, so if your flash drive only has a couple MB of files on it then something is wrong.
      12-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
MagicCarpet
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Thanks capt-slow for the tips
I re-formatted the USB and put the folders on root as you describe along with the 4 other files that came with my distribution:

config.nfm file of 0 kB
README file 1kB

The USB is read by the vehicle but no further screens come up, I went for a drive as well no actions occured, as before.

I am puzzled why the file config.nfm contains no bytes of information? I did chase this up with the vendor of the update however after a month of supplying screenshots and software versions they dropped the case with "honestly dont know why the update didnt work"

If anyone has a USB update particuarly the Aus region I'd appreciate seeing the file names and sizes showing on the USB. Total data on my USB for Aus / NZ is 5GB which I believe is normal for the map area size.
Appreciate 0