BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep
Drives: i3 Rex 2015

Engine light on

Hi guys I got this light on my i3 Rex. 2105 about 20g miles I been looking online if theres anything related but most of the post I found was could be a bug on software, on any case I'm open to hear if anyone in here has the same issue
Attached Images

02-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
PBNB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REX

The check engine light is most likely related to the REX. Do you have a code reader to extract the code that is setting off the light? You need that to be able to understand why the light is on. If you use Bimmercode, your OBDII plug in should help you read the code however, you might need to download another app to read the code and even clear it.

I had a check engine light about 8 months ago but it was related to the gas cap not being tight.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

My engine light came on and it was for the REX oil change. I had the dealer complete the change (covered maintenance) and no longer have the light. If you have the BMW app you can see the service required.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC View Post
My engine light came on and it was for the REX oil change. I had the dealer complete the change (covered maintenance) and no longer have the light. If you have the BMW app you can see the service required.
I did get a code reader on it but I look it up online and all about a Malibu car nothing of i3 bmw
Attached Images

02-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myi3reXhandy View Post
Hi guys I got this light on my i3 Rex. 2105 about 20g miles I been looking online if theres anything related but most of the post I found was could be a bug on software, on any case I'm open to hear if anyone in here has the same issue
I used to get CE lights on my ex-REX every spring and every fall. Something about temp fluctuations got on-board sensors upset.
At first, I would get them read/reset at the dealer. Later on, I ignored them (leased car) and they would clear on their own after X-many ignition cycles.

Yours could be similar, or could be something serious.

Quote:
I did get a code reader on it but I look it up online and all about a Malibu car nothing of i3 bmw
You need BMW-specific ODB-II code reader.
The generic stuff above is failing to read/interpret BMW codes.
You could try resetting them, and see if they come back. That would be one way to confirm if the issue is ongoing, or was something spurious.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Myi3reXhandy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
I used to get CE lights on my ex-REX every spring and every fall. Something about temp fluctuations got on-board sensors upset.
At first, I would get them read/reset at the dealer. Later on, I ignored them (leased car) and they would clear on their own after X-many ignition cycles.

Yours could be similar, or could be something serious.

Quote:
You need BMW-specific ODB-II code reader.
The generic stuff above is failing to read/interpret BMW codes.
You could try resetting them, and see if they come back. That would be one way to confirm if the issue is ongoing, or was something spurious.

HTH,
a
I did isn't showing on so far so hopefully was a bug or something I'm taking it for service in March
Thanks