Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
GHC
Rep
Drives: Audi rs4

Looking to buy an i8, a couple of questions!

Hi Everyone

I’ve always been a diligent saver and investor and after doing this for the last 15 years I find myself in a comfortable position, however the realisation now hits I am not getting any younger (41) and that I can actually afford some nice things now. For reference I’m currently in a B7 Audi rs4.

So I’ve been looking at getting an i8, I have done a bit of research on it but just have some questions that you guys might be able to answer

- I know you can run an i8 without charging it (by just having it charge itself) but would the general recommendation be to have a charger installed? (I live in an apartment complex and would have to organise for this to be done, however I may be moving at some point in the near future so I may just go with no charger for a while)

- I am looking at a used one, possibly 2-3 years old, I plan to purchase by 2019, so that would mean a 2015 – 2017 model, is there any significant step changes of significant improvements between model years where one year is definitely better than a previous year and would justify the extra cost?

- How much attention to they get? I think I could deal with the positive attention, but what sort of negative attention (if any?) would I have to be worried about parking it in a mall carpark while I did shopping? Would I always have to have it somewhere where I can keep an eye on it? I live in Auckland, New Zealand in a higher than average social economic area so nice cars are not entirely uncommon, but I hear i8’s get a lot of attention.

- What are the expected maintenance milestones? – although I would aim to buy from a BMW dealer so as to get a warranty with it

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
it’s not necessary to plug in an i8 for a charge. You can drive in sport mode where the combustion engine runs constantly for a short period of time and the battery will be fully charged. If you drive in comfort mode the battery will charge enough for the boost electric feature to work and the combustion engine will run in the stop start feature mode.

There is no difference between a 2015 and a 2017. The 2014 cars didn’t have the comfort access feature which allows you to just have the key in your pocket to unlock or start the car. No button to press on the key needed.

The car gets a fair amount of attention. Never had any negative.
That said there are always a few idiots out there to watch out for, but it’s no different than owning any nice car.

The car for me has been very reliable. No issues yet after 1 year of ownership.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Coastal is pretty accurate. It gets a fair amount of attention, usually positive, but my i8 just recently got keyed in 4 different spots when parked the other night, however. Also, 2016 and later models do have a laser headlight option available

Last edited by vance; 07-18-2018 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:38 AM   #4
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Kia Ora

a wall charger has some benefits.
Keep in mind that the engine never charges the batteries up to 100%/30kms!
Charging will stop at around 70%/20kms
But this is not essential for daily use.

The 2014 models also do not have the display key. (Available as retro)

My two cents to the comfort access:
I would not recommend it as it still has a security problem. The communication between key and car is pretty easy to manipulate.
(In my neighbourhood an Audi Q5 was stolen by hacking this communication just some weeks ago.)

And yes it attracts a lot of positive attention.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
fishpond
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Kia Ora

I would not recommend it as it still has a security problem. The communication between key and car is pretty easy to manipulate.
(In my neighbourhood an Audi Q5 was stolen by hacking this communication just some weeks ago.)

I just use a Faraday pouch (many available from Amazon) for my keyless entry car keys at home and it works perfectly. Personally I couldn't live without Comfort Access.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
GHC
Rep

Hey thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'll avoid a 2014 and get 2015 or newer. Probably 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance View Post
Coastal is pretty accurate. It gets a fair amount of attention, usually positive, but my i8 just recently got keyed in 4 different spots when parked the other night, however. Also, 2016 and later models do have a laser headlight option available
Was it parked outside?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
GHC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Kia Ora

a wall charger has some benefits.
Keep in mind that the engine never charges the batteries up to 100%/30kms!
Charging will stop at around 70%/20kms
But this is not essential for daily use.

The 2014 models also do not have the display key. (Available as retro)

koa i reira!

I haven't heard of many vehicle thefts in NZ via manipulating that key to car communication, so should be ok
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
JLew
Registered
Rep

You get a lot of attention when riding. Just make sure to get a Maxhaust to complete the package
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:35 AM   #9
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just my thoughts:

Comfort access, I don't have it or want it but if you like it then go for it, can't hurt.
The display key is generally thought of as big and bulky and needs charging, looks good though.
Laser headlights, maybe the one feature to seek out.
Charge point - I wouldn't bother if you're in an apartment, minor cost benefits in fuel consumption are unlikely to be noticed. I drove 20 miles today with a bit of thrashing in sport mode and the battery is essentially still fully topped up (14 mile range when I set off, now 12 miles showing). Sport doesn't charge past 70 or 80% but I believe brake regen/coasting does.

One thing to look out for is the tyres, they wear quickly so figure in new boots quite quickly unless they're pretty much brand new (the OEMs might take some time to get hold of in NZ).
      07-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

IMO the 2015-2017 choice involves warranty/price. In USA late 2016 is best bargain for remaining warranty. I'm still waiting, some housing decisions need to be settled first, but then planning for ED 2019 or 2020 Donnington grey.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #11
GHC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Just my thoughts:

Comfort access, I don't have it or want it but if you like it then go for it, can't hurt.
The display key is generally thought of as big and bulky and needs charging, looks good though.
Laser headlights, maybe the one feature to seek out.
Charge point - I wouldn't bother if you're in an apartment, minor cost benefits in fuel consumption are unlikely to be noticed. I drove 20 miles today with a bit of thrashing in sport mode and the battery is essentially still fully topped up (14 mile range when I set off, now 12 miles showing). Sport doesn't charge past 70 or 80% but I believe brake regen/coasting does.

One thing to look out for is the tyres, they wear quickly so figure in new boots quite quickly unless they're pretty much brand new (the OEMs might take some time to get hold of in NZ).
awesome thanks for the advice around charging, probably won't bother at all with a charger now

Test drove a 2015 in white today with 30k kms on it which they wanted $145k NZD. It has the balance of the 5 year warranty remaining.

Then went and had a look at a 2016 in gray with 2k km on it (barely used) for $150k NZD, which after talking to them for a while they indicated they would take 145k, and it has the the 5 year warranty - better than the other one cause its a 2016. The only thing is I prefer white, so I going to get a cover on it in white.

Will sleep on it, then probably confirm!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #12
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC View Post
awesome thanks for the advice around charging, probably won't bother at all with a charger now

Test drove a 2015 in white today with 30k kms on it which they wanted $145k NZD. It has the balance of the 5 year warranty remaining.

Then went and had a look at a 2016 in gray with 2k km on it (barely used) for $150k NZD, which after talking to them for a while they indicated they would take 145k, and it has the the 5 year warranty - better than the other one cause its a 2016. The only thing is I prefer white, so I going to get a cover on it in white.

Will sleep on it, then probably confirm!
The 5 year warranty is useful. In the UK it's only 3 years and then approx £1k gbp to extend (likely to up each year but in my view essential to be in warranty)
      07-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #13
GHC
Rep

Have negotiated with 2 dealers and have got them to their best price on 2 i8’s

First one is a white 2015 (my preference is white) with 30,000km (19,000 miles) on it for $NZD 130k ($88k USD), with 2 years 10 months remaining warranty – this is from a BMW dealership so there would be good aftermarket service

Or, a 2016, with 2,500km (ie near new) for $NZD 145k ($98k USD) with about 3.5 years warranty left. This ones in gray which is not my preference (can get a white vinyl cover for $5k), and this ones not from a BMW dealer,

Both of them, based off year and mileage represent the same “value” when I put them into my regression model, however, which do you guys think is better value and would be your preference?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #14
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

If the first one has bmw CPO warranty, get that. It also depends a lot if the 2nd one has BMW Laserlight option ($6800 option). If it does, it’s worth considering. If it doesn’t have that option, then I wouldn’t even think about it, especially if the other one has a CPO warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:48 PM   #15
GHC
Rep

brought the 2015 one for $NZD 124,990 (~US$85,500) , not too bad when original dealer price was $145,000

- dealers must have some huge margins built in!

Last edited by GHC; 07-25-2018 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 03:21 AM   #16
OOliver
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320ia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC View Post
brought the 2015 one for $NZD 124,990 (~US$85,500) , not too bad when original dealer price was $145,000

- dealers must have some huge margins built in!
That's a good.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #17
I8_toomuch
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 I8

Installing the charger isn't necessary since the battery is pretty small on the I8. You can get away with charging using a standard wall plug.
Appreciate 0