Closed Thread

01-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #683
Infamus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Well at least Tobias can now feel better that he is not the only one bastardizing a brand. I have been a long time AMG owner I have a garage queen 2018 GTS, it has a hand built engine by one guy who signed it. Before that I had a C63S AMG my wife had a C43 AMG and it was fun to drive and very comfy but its was NO AMG...

It lacked in certain areas like the way the suspension was tuned, the size of the brakes and a few other goodies. She was fine with it ignorance is bliss but MB had it going on putting an AMG badge on anything you can. Then kick it up a notch and sell cars like the C300 with "the AMG Line" for an extra 10K with some AMG parts, all cosmetic. It was a stroke of genius, so dont blame BMW for getting in the game. The M car will always be something special just like a real AMG is and haters are going to hate...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #684
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
BMW did this to themselves; everyone knows it...

Now it just becomes increasingly difficult to explain how your M car is real vs the others is not... only way to fix this is not to buy BMWs; albeit Benz and Audi are up to the same thing. Nothing is special anymore; we live in a world of mass consumption... sad? Extremely but that's how it is. I wish I was 15 years older so that I could have picked up a 2005 Comp Pack E46 M3 with a manual tranny when it was an extremely special car back in late 2004.
BMW or any manufacturer didn't do this, forced induction did this...

Get with the modern times (for the next 5-10 years) until the 2027 M3 is full electric. It is what it is...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #685
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Nothing is special anymore; we live in a world of mass consumption... sad?
Isn't the issue many more folks want some of the consumption?

There is an answer, let's go back to when BMW models were more exclusive... we'd have to price most users out of the market.

I do recall when I had my first BMW (E12 528), there were only two 5-series in our town, the other a 525, by the garage owner who serviced mine.

I did park next to another Five at our works. The financial guy owned an E12 M535i.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #686
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

There is an answer, let's go back to when BMW models were more exclusive... we'd have to price most users out of the market.

I do recall when I had my first BMW (E12 528), there were only two 5-series in our town, the other a 525, by the garage owner who serviced mine.

I did park next to another Five at our works. The financial guy owned an E12 M535i.
But what constitutes "special"? Is it the exclusivity of your product that is being diminished so that it's no longer unique? If so fine, that's your perception. Or is it the mechanical engineering that isn't up to par? In which I have been arguing.

I live in Orange County and LA, SoCal where every fourth car is an M3 or M4. And I'm sure the same goes for places in Florida, New York and San Francisco. These cars aren't unique in these areas whatsoever. Try going to a Bimmerfest where 10,000 tuned M3's show up and your like oh...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #687
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Quote:
Quote:

But what constitutes "special"? Is it the exclusivity of your product that is being diminished so that it's no longer unique? If so fine, that's your perception. Or is it the mechanical engineering that isn't up to par? In which I have been arguing.

I live in Orange County and LA, SoCal where every fourth car is an M3 or M4. And I'm sure the same goes for places in Florida, New York and San Francisco. These cars aren't unique in these areas whatsoever. Try going to a Bimmerfest where 10,000 tuned M3's show up and your like oh...
in a way I would say both... in Florida; M cars are everywhere and they aren't what they used to be because the spread between an e46 330i and e46 m3 was night and day... these days, there is a badge slapped on both, m340i owner tunes his car and beats the M car... you and I get what happening; everyone else doesn't... I would say this is a realistic perception of the enthusiast. Remember... 15 years ago, turbo cars were rare... electric cars non existent; I think we are living in the last stage of the M car.
      01-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #688
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

in a way I would say both... in Florida; M cars are everywhere and they aren't what they used to be because the spread between an e46 330i and e46 m3 was night and day... these days, there is a badge slapped on both, m340i owner tunes his car and beats the M car... you and I get what happening; everyone else doesn't... I would say this is a realistic perception of the enthusiast. Remember... 15 years ago, turbo cars were rare... electric cars non existent; I think we are living in the last stage of the M car.
Couldn't have said it any better sir. Enjoy your car and who cares about the exclusivity of the M badge, enjoy this last iteration of the M, because in the near future there is only going to be BMW zipity zips zipping around town driven by soccer moms smoking all of us purist...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #689
Tazmn Jr
William Wilson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Dct mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
Quote:

My argument is does the new M340i that's developed by the M division (which is apparently the main caveat for the ///M fanboys) with M division parts, sacrilegious to to have the M badge on its end when BMW GmbH themselves say so?

No one ever on the thread questioned that it's the premium M version. Its just funny to see /// M guys so offended because their car is getting watered down, what else could it be? Any real BMW person knows what's the premium car.

Is an Audi S5 which is the original Audi sport car now a less of a car even though the more recently developed RS5 line is the premium sport line of Audi? Who cares, don't get OFFENDED, love your car, don't hate on the brand(ing)...
Seems like you're foaming more than the "///M guys" about this.

A question for you: if I go to bmwusa.com or to global bmw.com site, how come they separate the 3-series and M cars, and the M340i is not under the "M" link?
Exactly!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #690
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
And now here come the M owners about to say the M340i is not a true M car and shouldn't be in the same category. Lol.
They always did!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #691
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Last time I was at page 13 and now I need a day vacation to read the rest of this posts. Lol
      01-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #692
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm4w View Post
Where's the "M"340i in the range of Ms listed on the bmw m website?
It’s not there because it is not an M.
I believe the M340 crowd is mis-interpreting what BMW is saying/doing.
Also, the same guy keeps circling the “BMW M” line under the M340 which does not mean that is it completely (transmission, drivetrain, etc.) built by the M division but rather the M-performance pieces...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #693
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Couldn't have said it any better sir. Enjoy your car and who cares about the exclusivity of the M badge, enjoy this last iteration of the M, because in the near future there is only going to be BMW zipity zips zipping around town driven by soccer moms smoking all of us purist...
You do realize (before you get too excited about that ridiculous and unsupported comment) that BMW has sold less than 20k M3/M4 during 2019 in the US?
Nearly 100 million new vehicles are produced every year.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #694
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm4w View Post
Where's the "M"340i in the range of Ms listed on the bmw m website?
It's not there because it is not an M.
I believe the M340 crowd is mis-interpreting what BMW is saying/doing.
Also, the same guy keeps circling the "BMW M" line under the M340 which does not mean that is it completely (transmission, drivetrain, etc.) built by the M division but rather the M-performance pieces...
Why are you so naive? I've already told you where to look for it, must be computer illiterate. It's like talking to my grandpa about politics, you just refuse to acknowledge facts and embrace change.

Here you go pops below. Wonder what you'll say next, "oh it's just marketing" 👴🏻. "But pops the B58 motor is the basis for the next gen S58 with shorter strokes and and twin-turbo instead of a twin scroll". "Oh, well that's not made by Hanz Deutschbäg in Nürburging so it can't be an M..."

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...eries/M2/coupe

https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...eries/M5/sedan
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:26 PM   #695
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You do realize (before you get too excited about that ridiculous and unsupported comment) that BMW has sold less than 20k M3/M4 during 2019 in the US?
Nearly 100 million new vehicles are produced every year.
Go sit down old man it's nap time for you... 👴🏻

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1627954

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1343310
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #696
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

oh lord this thread continues. I don't think either side is going to prove the other wrong. Such a stupid argument to boot. The m340i want to be Ms; the Ms dont want the M340is to be a part of M...like do yall have an M shrine in ur closet. Who the FUCK cares if you are M or not. If you care or provide justifcation then clearly its bothers you BOTH sides. (myself included; but I don't sit here trying to provide justification; it is what it is.) By proving wrong/right you are back to square one always. Clearly everyone on this fourm is a bit insecure or we wouldn't be driving BMWs. Get a fucking grip on life. Its just a fucking car. Fuckin slaves to branding and corporations.
Appreciate 2
JeremyDFW458.00
JTO245271.50
      01-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #697
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
oh lord this thread continues. I don't think either side is going to prove the other wrong. Such a stupid argument to boot. The m340i want to be Ms; the Ms dont want the M340is to be a part of M...like do yall have an M shrine in ur closet. Who the FUCK cares if you are M or not. If you care or provide justifcation then clearly its bothers you BOTH sides. (myself included; but I don't sit here trying to provide justification; it is what it is.) By proving wrong/right you are back to square one always. Clearly everyone on this fourm is a bit insecure or we wouldn't be driving BMWs. Get a fucking grip on life. Its just a fucking car. Fuckin slaves to branding and corporations.
I'm actually enjoying this thread ::eating popcorn:: and I'm not taking either side M or M340i, I'm advocating BMW's stance on the situation as well as their engineering behind it. Nothing like bagging on M shrine boys who do not provide factual information just theories and opinions...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #698
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I think what many enthusiasts would consider as a proper “M” car no longer exists in the current line-up.

The engines and transmissions are no longer bespoke, and the “standard” cars like the M340i are so quick now, the situation is becoming one of diminishing returns.

Is my E90 M3 DCT an M in the classic sense? Absolutely. S65 not found anywhere in the standard line-up (just like the S85 for the M5 of the time) mated to a high-performance DCT that could do things a standard auto of the time simply couldn’t.

A 2020 M3? Not so sure. A tweaked B58 with an extra turbo mated to a stronger version of the 8 speed ZF found in everything from a 1-series up. Not to mention AWD.

But you can be certain that 2020 would SLAY my M3 in every performance metric. Sound and feel? That’s another matter
Appreciate 4
JeremyDFW458.00
nicky dj344.50
Al1969529.50
JTO245271.50
      01-21-2020, 02:43 AM   #699
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Can't we all just join hands and just point and laugh at the Audi S lineup?

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 04:25 AM   #700
kuradile
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocurls View Post
Can't we all just join hands and just point and laugh at the Audi S lineup?
Obviously not, some of us don't have M-hands which is unacceptable.
Appreciate 3
JTO245271.50
brocurls263.00
JeremyDFW458.00
      01-21-2020, 05:46 AM   #701
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
hmmm

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 2
cbertels1215.50
gio1469.50
      01-21-2020, 07:04 AM   #702
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

I think resale values will ultimately settle this debate. M cars typically hold value better than modded 335s, 550s, etc no matter which performs better. We ll just have to wait and see how the m340s and the like do on the secondary market in comparison.
      01-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #703
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Right there with expectations lol-

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4475/overview/

These are $35K 2 year old cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #704
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

M snob here, this sticking M badges on anything better than a base models is BS. Want a M car buy a real M car #dontpose
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread