BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

05-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #1
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Option removals, what would make you walk away?

Since it seems the option removal has started happening on the brand new iX already (M60 isn't even SOP yet). What options are you ok with losing, and what would make you walk away? I will start, I am fine losing the hands free tailgate, even though I use it all the time, and fine losing the luxury package. Not ok with losing B&W or DAP pro, and I will walk away.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 08:24 PM   #2
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
For me it's a lot easier of a decision when the options have their own price tag and are cleanly removed.
Appreciate 1
av078956.00
      05-15-2022, 08:56 PM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I'm not fine - but will tolerate - losing passenger lumbar delete. Known on ordering. I'm not fine losing the hands-free tailgate either, which I also use all the time. It's a $100k plus car. Would it make me walk away? A coin-toss right now. Would losing anything else, including B&W? In a heartbeat. I just built a fully-equipped RR Sport hybrid with all of those equivalent features, for about $110k. And a very nice hybrid. I would preferentially get one any day of the week over the 45e. I can get a well-optioned full-up RR PHEV for less than $120k. Probably take awhile to build, but my dealership services and sells RR as well as BMW and Jaguar. I can build a Taycan for what I want on it for $130k. I can build an Audi eTron with more than what BMW would leave me with if all the projected deletions hit, but with substantially less range (250-ish), that I actually might be able to live with more - for about $20k less. I can wait. BMW is not the only piscene occupant of the increasingly vast EV/PHEV pelagic realm.

I have no loyalty to any particular brand or model. My dealership matters more to me than a logo, and is more personal - and I've had poor and good experiences from virtually every corporate entity selling luxury cars. I understand the current market's volatility and resource constraints, and the corporate necessity to accommodate to survive. How they do that is obviously up to them. I buy a particular car from a particular manufacturer because it offers me what I want at a price I consider fair, with good pre- and after-sale support. If any part of that gentleman's agreement fails, I no longer have a reason to send them my business. BMW is approaching that boundary.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 10:32 PM   #4
asrgt
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
So far my order has not been subject to any further deletions outside of losing passenger lumbar. (cross fingers)
To be perfectly honest if the car arrived missing auto tailgate for example I would reject the car.

Supply constraints ect are not my concern that's the manufactures issue, if I order a car or any product and it essentially arrives incomplete then its not good enough and it goes back.

So I guess the answer is I wont be accepting any deletions outside of the already known passenger lumbar.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 11:02 PM   #5
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
I expressed my dissatisfaction to my SA when the lumbar and massage delete was confirmed. Sure, the NZ$800 credit to compensate is a token gesture, but it's a fraction of the cost and value of the option.

My car is built so I know that I am not going to lose any further features. If, however, my car was not yet built and I faced any deletion (tailgate, Apple Car Play, Eclipse Roof, Soft Close Doors, HK Audio etc.) I would reject the car. I would simply not be content paying full price for a car missing the feature that made it stand out for me in the first place.
      05-16-2022, 06:52 AM   #6
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
I expressed my dissatisfaction to my SA when the lumbar and massage delete was confirmed. Sure, the NZ$800 credit to compensate is a token gesture, but it's a fraction of the cost and value of the option.

My car is built so I know that I am not going to lose any further features. If, however, my car was not yet built and I faced any deletion (tailgate, Apple Car Play, Eclipse Roof, Soft Close Doors, HK Audio etc.) I would reject the car. I would simply not be content paying full price for a car missing the feature that made it stand out for me in the first place.
I had come to terms with not being able to get a tow bar for mounting a bike rack and having to use my wife's car to take bikes with us. Adding the passenger lumbar/massage delete to that just about put me over the edge. One more thing and I think I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:07 AM   #7
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Z4, 18 X1, 22 Rivian R1T

How are you being informed of option removals? Mine just finished the build (today) and is waiting carrier assignment. I don't want to have a nasty surprise when it comes time to delivery.

To be a deal breaker would be the removal of the laser lights as I have some night vision loss and need all the help I can get in terms of lighting.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:26 AM   #8
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
How are you being informed of option removals? Mine just finished the build (today) and is waiting carrier assignment. I don't want to have a nasty surprise when it comes time to delivery.

To be a deal breaker would be the removal of the laser lights as I have some night vision loss and need all the help I can get in terms of lighting.
Your SA can see the final build specs and see if anything is missing.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:37 AM   #9
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Lumbar delete is the only option removal I will tolerate because that's how I ordered the car and it was disclosed up front. Any other deletions are the result of BMW's poor planning and inability to properly secure parts. Tesla largely avoided this issue through proper planning and vertical integration. Any specific items that were removed from Teslas were generally retrofitted later, when the parts were available, free of charge to the customer.

Is BMW offering to retrofit these items when they become available? Because if they are not, it is 100% pure disrespect towards customers to remove things without compensation and without proper notification. I will walk away from such a car simply to send the manufacturer a message.

There are plenty of choices out there. I'm not going to reward BMW with a $110,000 purchase of a car with missing features. I'm taking delivery of my Model Y next month to drive until my iX arrives. Model Y used resale is actually higher than sticker on new, I can drive the car and then sell it with zero financial penalty. If my iX arrives with missing features I will pass on it and keep driving the Model Y that costs $40,000 less and is not missing any features or parts.

This is truly embarrassing and a black eye for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
Lumbar delete is the only option removal I will tolerate because that's how I ordered the car and it was disclosed up front. Any other deletions are the result of BMW's poor planning and inability to properly secure parts. Tesla largely avoided this issue through proper planning and vertical integration. Any specific items that were removed from Teslas were generally retrofitted later, when the parts were available, free of charge to the customer.

Is BMW offering to retrofit these items when they become available? Because if they are not, it is 100% pure disrespect towards customers to remove things without compensation and without proper notification. I will walk away from such a car simply to send the manufacturer a message.

There are plenty of choices out there. I'm not going to reward BMW with a $110,000 purchase of a car with missing features. I'm taking delivery of my Model Y next month to drive until my iX arrives. Model Y used resale is actually higher than sticker on new, I can drive the car and then sell it with zero financial penalty. If my iX arrives with missing features I will pass on it and keep driving the Model Y that costs $40,000 less and is not missing any features or parts.

I think you are suffering from amnesia or denial, but Tesla certainly has removed options after the fact on confirmed builds.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-lumb...ned-elon-musk/

Tesla, while more vertically integrated in terms of batteries and drive train still has the same supply chain challenges others do. Also, some things are certainly unpredictable. Many of the cars were ordered before the end of Feb and then Russia decides to invade Ukraine, a major component supplier to the automotive world.

Are you saying that BMW and others should be able to predict those type of events. They are in the business to maximize profits and that is hard to do when removing high margin options.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #11
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I am going off people who have posted here on option removals. Your SA will be able to tell you if your build has any on it. I am #2 on the waitlist for an M60i at my dealer, and they are starting production next month, unsure what removals they will be hit with.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #12
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I am going off people who have posted here on option removals. Your SA will be able to tell you if your build has any on it. I am #2 on the waitlist for an M60i at my dealer, and they are starting production next month, unsure what removals they will be hit with.
I just checked my online build sheet in the track my vehicle section and I don't see any deletions. My build just finished today and is awaiting carrier assignment, so hopefully that means that everything that is supposed to be in the car is there. I guess I will find out in 6-7 weeks when it arrives.
Appreciate 2
TXSchnee1315.00
Paladin15556.00
      05-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #13
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think you are suffering from amnesia or denial, but Tesla certainly has removed options after the fact on confirmed builds.

Tesla, while more vertically integrated in terms of batteries and drive train still has the same supply chain challenges others do. Also, some things are certainly unpredictable. Many of the cars were ordered before the end of Feb and then Russia decides to invade Ukraine, a major component supplier to the automotive world.

Are you saying that BMW and others should be able to predict those type of events. They are in the business to maximize profits and that is hard to do when removing high margin options.
I put down a deposit on a Lucid Air on Friday, and am next up at my Porsche dealer for a Taycan 4S CT allocation. I will take those over the iX if I am unhappy with removals from the M60i, we are sitting at $113,000 for our iX build, and I want what I ordered (acknowledge the passenger lumbar delete is already disclosed). I would prefer the iX, mainly due to price value for what I am getting, but will spend more to get exactly what I want if I have to. Edit: Sorry Hild, this was supposed to go to Nomotesla, but I agree they cannot account for issues like the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I just don't want to accept less at this price range, plus it shows BMW that people will accept less for basically the same price, which is not ok.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 1
hilld183.50
      05-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #14
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
That was in the past and referencing the lumbar, something we have all accepted with the iX. The Model YP that I ordered will not have anything missing from the build sheet. Tesla briefly shipped cars without some USB ports, but those were offered to be added as a retrofit when they became available. Is BMW offering to retrofit missing features that go beyond the lumbar delete?

Tesla's supply constraints were brief in time and are no longer an issue as far as I'm aware. Every Tesla being delivered is being delivered as ordered. No surprises there.

Quote:
Also, some things are certainly unpredictable. Many of the cars were ordered before the end of Feb and then Russia decides to invade Ukraine, a major component supplier to the automotive world.

It's not my problem, it is the manufacturer's problem of not diversifying its supply chain and putting all of its eggs in one basket. I find it difficult to believe that EV manufacturing has suddenly become dependent on what's happening in Ukraine. Certainly those components can be sourced elsewhere. The thing is, companies like BMW don't like spending money on these things and would rather inconvenience their customers by constantly deleting features. The only thing that will make them stop is when customers start rejecting cars, which I'm perfectly happy and prepared to do.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      05-16-2022, 09:10 AM   #15
hilld
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

It's not my problem, it is the manufacturer's problem of not diversifying its supply chain and putting all of its eggs in one basket. I find it difficult to believe that EV manufacturing has suddenly become dependent on what's happening in Ukraine. Certainly those components can be sourced elsewhere. The thing is, companies like BMW don't like spending money on these things and would rather inconvenience their customers by constantly deleting features. The only thing that will make them stop is when customers start rejecting cars, which I'm perfectly happy and prepared to do.
Unfortunately, it is not just EV's that are suffering from this. Quite a few of the big car companies have outsourced the suppliers to lower cost (wage) countries. Ukraine has a big wiring harness presence amongst other components. Given the shortage of cars in general, the companies are choosing to ship cars without certain components vs. shutting down production lines until all parts are there.

While I am not saying this should be the customers problem, it is the current reality. This is not just in the automotive industry, there are shortage of appliances and other building supplies for those building houses and the list goes on. It is our new normal, until things get better, unfortunately, nobody seems to know when that might be.
Appreciate 3
NomoTesla2161.00
Paladin15556.00
TXSchnee1315.00
      05-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #16
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately, it is not just EV's that are suffering from this. Quite a few of the big car companies have outsourced the suppliers to lower cost (wage) countries. Ukraine has a big wiring harness presence amongst other components. Given the shortage of cars in general, the companies are choosing to ship cars without certain components vs. shutting down production lines until all parts are there.

While I am not saying this should be the customers problem, it is the current reality. This is not just in the automotive industry, there are shortage of appliances and other building supplies for those building houses and the list goes on. It is our new normal, until things get better, unfortunately, nobody seems to know when that might be.
Roger on the above. And world political issues are not (often) in the predictable realm. However, for this specific case, if you as a car manufacturer elect to remove a feature on my already-ordered car, and at the same time put it in another model or provide it in another country, that is not a supply chain problem - that is a policy problem (to me as a customer). The company might feel justified if it protects their bottom line, but I'm not going to reward them for it by continuing a compromised purchase, resulting from corporate policy tilted toward profit. If the company can't provide a feature in any car (that was previously promised), that's a different matter, but let me know early enough that I can make a decision to continue a purchase. Simple customer courtesy.
Appreciate 1
NomoTesla2161.00
      05-16-2022, 10:48 AM   #17
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Since it seems the option removal has started happening on the brand new iX already (M60 isn't even SOP yet). What options are you ok with losing, and what would make you walk away? I will start, I am fine losing the hands free tailgate, even though I use it all the time, and fine losing the luxury package. Not ok with losing B&W or DAP pro, and I will walk away.
To me, it is not necessarily only about losing one specific option. It is more about how my dealer and BMW deal with me about it.
For instance, I don’t particularly care much about kick to open for the trunk, although my wife would like to have it. We currently don’t have it on our X5 because we optioned the factory tow hitch that we never used. But if they remove it from the build and offer no compensation, then as a matter of principle I will refuse to accept the car. This is where the dealer has some wiggle room to overrule a dumb decision from BMW if the corporate side does not offer a reduced price due to the exclusion of the option. I get that they possibly have no control over the shortage of the parts, but I should not be paying for it if it is not included in the car. Whether it is a 10$ part or a 5000$ part. This is at a minimum what I expect. And if the manufacturer doesn’t agree, then the dealership has a chance to make it right.

There are a few things I would consider must haves for me to switch to the iX, things like air suspension, B&W, nice soft leather, heater seats/wheel/surfaces, the lvl 2 driving aids etc. Basically the things that would make it a nice luxurious car. Start fiddling with those things and I just don’t think the EV powertrain is enough to make me switch from my current vehicle to one I would find less useful or comfortable.
Appreciate 2
NomoTesla2161.00
TXSchnee1315.00
      05-16-2022, 12:53 PM   #18
UltimateMoneyShifter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX xDrive50

The value I am getting from the range, efficiency, build quality, ride, tech and service from BMW and the iX is unmatched in the EV space.

Even if BMW decides to remove additional features like B&W, driver assistance tech, etc., I still think it is a solid product (provided they reimburse the customer for deletions).

So I am more keen to delay the purchase of my iX until the supply chain has been sorted vs buying a competing EV. But I am also going to get the best value on the resale market for my Tesla Model 3 right now vs when the market normalizes.

I think the following option deletions in combination will make me want to put the purchase off:

1) Digital Key Plus (can't go back to carrying key fobs with me anymore)
2) B&W Sound System
3) Parking Assistance Plus
4) Air suspension
5) Castanea Chestnut Leather Option
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #19
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Roger on the above. And world political issues are not (often) in the predictable realm. However, for this specific case, if you as a car manufacturer elect to remove a feature on my already-ordered car, and at the same time put it in another model or provide it in another country, that is not a supply chain problem - that is a policy problem (to me as a customer). The company might feel justified if it protects their bottom line, but I'm not going to reward them for it by continuing a compromised purchase, resulting from corporate policy tilted toward profit. If the company can't provide a feature in any car (that was previously promised), that's a different matter, but let me know early enough that I can make a decision to continue a purchase. Simple customer courtesy.
At the end of the day it is BMW's brand that will take the hit.
Appreciate 1
Paladin15556.00
      05-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #20
Shef
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
To me, it is not necessarily only about losing one specific option. It is more about how my dealer and BMW deal with me about it.
For instance, I don’t particularly care much about kick to open for the trunk, although my wife would like to have it. We currently don’t have it on our X5 because we optioned the factory tow hitch that we never used. But if they remove it from the build and offer no compensation, then as a matter of principle I will refuse to accept the car. This is where the dealer has some wiggle room to overrule a dumb decision from BMW if the corporate side does not offer a reduced price due to the exclusion of the option. I get that they possibly have no control over the shortage of the parts, but I should not be paying for it if it is not included in the car. Whether it is a 10$ part or a 5000$ part. This is at a minimum what I expect. And if the manufacturer doesn’t agree, then the dealership has a chance to make it right.
This is what resonates with me. I've agreed to purchase a $110k+ car. I realize stuff happens and understand it. But be up front and offer a price reduction or retrofit at my discretion. BMW is the one not delivering what was agreed upon and it is their responsibility to rectify.

The problem is if I walk, there will be someone willing to gobble up the car thereby letting BMW off the hook. Sure it won't be me getting screwed but I go to the bottom of some line elsewhere for a mythical EV.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 03:33 PM   #21
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
The M60 has been in production since late March.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 04:06 PM   #22
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ View Post
Quote:
The M60 has been in production since late March.
US doesn't get it until June, I must have misread that as SOP somehow.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0