BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

08-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Test drove an i8, my thoughts

So I test drove an i8 today. Here are some thoughts.

Exterior Looks: wow, I mean wow. Maybe the most striking car I've ever seen in person. I don't know if every angle is beautiful but every angle is striking. I looked at a white one and, while I typically don't like white cars, I liked the white paint job a lot. I give looks a 10/10.

Interior looks/quality: looks were nothing too special, but it was very easy to operate. I'm not a fan of complicated interiors. The building quality was very, very good. Stitching all lined up. Car felt very solid. Ride was compliant, much softer than my 458, closer to my Bentley CGT.

Performance: Good, 8/10. I think the car is quicker than it feels. I'd floor it and be going 90-100 but feel as though I could have been going 70. The car is so well built that it just doesn't feel out of control during acceleration. I thought the car pulled harder from 50-100 than from 0-50. The steering is very precise and car felt unshakable in the corners. I did not turn off TC and didn't engage launch control which I was told makes a big difference in initial acceleration. Straight line performance felt about halfway between my Bentley CGT and my Ferrari 458. Which is a good place I think. It could use about 10-15% more performance but that's only a couple years away.

Noise: honestly, great. So much better than I was expecting. Sounded great from the outside and inside. No body could be disappointed from the sound unless you were expecting something ludicrously loud.

The car also felt pretty quick in electric mode and the transfer from electric to sport was seamless.

I'm test driving a Mercedes AMG GTS tomorrow from the same dealer family. I'll make a choice by middle of next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Thanks for sharing your review ,I think you will incline upon the i8 after test drives are done . BMW i8 is an impressive car after all .
Looking forward to seeing a new i8 owner
Happy driving
      08-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

I bought my i8 shortly after test driving a bentley conti gt speed. I thought the bmw did ride actually better, smoother and overall more comfortably. Strange but that was my perception.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07

Exterior Looks: wow, I mean wow. Maybe the most striking car I've ever seen in person. I don't know if every angle is beautiful but every angle is striking. I looked at a white one and, while I typically don't like white cars, I liked the white paint job a lot. I give looks a 10/10.

Interior looks/quality: looks were nothing too special, but it was very easy to operate. I'm not a fan of complicated interiors. The building quality was very, very good. Stitching all lined up. Car felt very solid. Ride was compliant, much softer than my 458, closer to my Bentley CGT.

Performance: Good, 8/10. I think the car is quicker than it feels. I'd floor it and be going 90-100 but feel as though I could have been going 70. The car is so well built that it just doesn't feel out of control during acceleration. I thought the car pulled harder from 50-100 than from 0-50. The steering is very precise and car felt unshakable in the corners. I did not turn off TC and didn't engage launch control which I was told makes a big difference in initial acceleration. Straight line performance felt about halfway between my Bentley CGT and my Ferrari 458. Which is a good place I think. It could use about 10-15% more performance but that's only a couple years away.

Noise: honestly, great. So much better than I was expecting. Sounded great from the outside and inside. No body could be disappointed from the sound unless you were expecting something ludicrously loud.

The car also felt pretty quick in electric mode and the transfer from electric to sport was seamless.

I'm test driving a Mercedes AMG GTS tomorrow from the same dealer family. I'll make a choice by middle of next week.
Thanks for your review. Could you also give your review of the AMG?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I am also considering an i8 and I was told by a fellow owner that if battery is not fully charged, you won't get the best performance... Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Nice review.

Would be awesome to have both the i8 and 458. They would nicely compliment each other.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymalu View Post
I am also considering an i8 and I was told by a fellow owner that if battery is not fully charged, you won't get the best performance... Is this true?
No.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
You will only get less performance when the battery is completely empty (as opposed to not full). And in 12'000 miles, I've never had that. Any coasting or braking feeds the battery, so there's always enough for a little boost.

And just to state the obvious, no car ever runs or needs all of its power all the time. Only under full load, which is heavy acceleration or running flat-out at top speed with limiter removed.

So, short answer, like MalibuBimmer said: "no".
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #9
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:

Thanks for the very detail review, I absolutely love the i8 and It puts a smile on my face every time I drive the car. My initial thoughts of the car were pretty much inline with yours except for the wheels (didnt like them at all) and the power, I though it need it a bit more (took care of that with a tuned) now the car has somewhere around 425+hp enough for me and crazy amount of torque.

I also saw that your will be test driving the GTS Amg which I also daily drive.... Lol, they are totally different cars in every aspect, the cabin in the GTS is louder and the suspension is hard like it supposed to be (IMO) power is there !! oh get ready for that torque its like a jet. The technology is behind BMW I drive and the sound system is not that great, but the car also puts a smile on my face every time I drive it without a doubt, it's just a Bad Boy to the bone (sort of a muscle car with a German style) but here is the funny part we have done a couple runs 0-60 & 0-100 with both cars and the i8 (tuned) now of course stays right there with the GTS so in conclusion they are both Great Super Cars !!

In conclusion if I had to pick one I wouldn't know what to do but probably will pick the i8

Last edited by Amgeater2; 08-29-2016 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #10
exclusivedetails
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Thank for the very detail review, I absolutely love the i8 and It puts a smile on my face every time I drive the car. My initial thoughts of the car were pretty much inline with yours except for the wheels (didnt like them at all) and the power, I though it need it a bit more (took care of that with a tuned) now the car has somewhere around 425+hp enough for me and crazy amount of torque.

I also saw that your will be test driving the GTS Amg which I also daily drive.... Lol, they are totally different cars in every aspect, the cabin in the GTS is louder and the suspension is hard like it supposed to be (IMO) power is there !! oh get ready for that torque its like a jet. The technology is behind BMW I drive and the sound system is not that great, but the car also puts a smile on my face every time I drive it without a doubt, it's just a Bad Boy to the bone (sort of a muscle car with a German style) but here is the funny part we have done a couple runs 0-60 & 0-100 with both cars and the i8 (tuned) now of course stays right there with the GTS so in conclusion they are both Great Super Cars !!

In conclusion if I had to pick one I wouldn't know what to do but probably will pick the i8
We want videos of the tuned i8!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #11
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Ok so I drove the AMG GT S. The car is beautiful. Felt much more similar to my 458. Like a 458 that went to charm school. Much quicker than the i8. But more manic. Much more cramped interior. Beautifully made and designed but cramped. Felt less versatile than the i8 in many ways. I have to take into account where I am going to keep the car, which is Pittsburgh, has terrible roads and low speed limits. I think owning the AMG GT s here would be an exercise in frustration, never being able to exploit the car near its full potential. So in conclusion, i8 it is! I pick it up this week. White or blue I haven't decided. I test drove a white and thought it looks great. I haven't seen a blue in person. I had my dealer bring in the blue for next week so I'm going to have the car in my garage by the end of the week.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #12
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok so I drove the AMG GT S. The car is beautiful. Felt much more similar to my 458. Like a 458 that went to charm school. Much quicker than the i8. But more manic. Much more cramped interior. Beautifully made and designed but cramped. Felt less versatile than the i8 in many ways. I have to take into account where I am going to keep the car, which is Pittsburgh, has terrible roads and low speed limits. I think owning the AMG GT s here would be an exercise in frustration, never being able to exploit the car near its full potential. So in conclusion, i8 it is! I pick it up this week. White or blue I haven't decided. I test drove a white and thought it looks great. I haven't seen a blue in person. I had my dealer bring in the blue for next week so I'm going to have the car in my garage by the end of the week.
That's great! Please post pics after you take delivery

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 02:56 AM   #13
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

You can check in New i8 Arriving On Friday posted by jkirk for Blue color .It's a very striking color
You made a good decision
      08-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #14
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Sweet. Post pics of the garage when the i8 comes home.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #15
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I will post pics throughout the week. Looking forward to joining the i8 club and owning my first BMW since I was 17
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #16
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Looked at both color options available today. White looked amazing, but blue looked even better. So blue it is. I'll post pics this weekend. Looking forward to joining to i8 owners club!
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2016, 04:39 PM   #17
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Congrats. Can't wait to see some pictures!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:51 AM   #18
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

This is definitely NOT true

Quote:
      08-31-2016, 01:26 PM   #19
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Dealer sent me over a sneak peak. I'm picking it up tomorrow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #20
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
Dealer sent me over a sneak peak. I'm picking it up tomorrow.
Congrats !! Welcome to the family
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #21
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

I'm absolutely in love with the car. I will post pics this weekend. The dealer did a great unveiling of the car that I took a video of. Not sure if I can post videos here.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #22
Amgeater2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivedetails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgeater2 View Post
Thank for the very detail review, I absolutely love the i8 and It puts a smile on my face every time I drive the car. My initial thoughts of the car were pretty much inline with yours except for the wheels (didnt like them at all) and the power, I though it need it a bit more (took care of that with a tuned) now the car has somewhere around 425+hp enough for me and crazy amount of torque.

We want videos of the tuned i8!
I will upload some vids this weekend, I finally did a lunch on the car today since I like to give the car a good couple of weeks and at least two tanks of gas on the new set up.

I was able to get 0-60 down to 4.0 and 4.1 consistently. I did about 5 pulls before the electric power when down to 3 miles range.
Appreciate 0