BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
Daleyplanit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 I3 REx

Brake service?

The idiot light just went off for brake service - we have about 13k on the clock of our 2017 Rex. Anyone done this? It this normal? Cost? Thanks!
      06-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
BuzzBomb
Concerned Onlooker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Alfa, 500 Abarth

Parts are cheap- rotors, pads for these are easy to come by. Don't let a shop tell you that it'a a special car and will cost more than a Honda Accord. I just ordered Stoptech ceramic pads for both front and rear, costing $20something each. Rotors were also $20-30 and they are pretty straight forward to replace.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #3
flyboy320
Registered
Rep
Drives: i3

The brake service message probably refers to flushing/bleeding the brake lines. Most manufactures recommend this every 2 years regardless of miles/KM driven.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320 View Post
The brake service message probably refers to flushing/bleeding the brake lines. Most manufactures recommend this every 2 years regardless of miles/KM driven.
agreed most likely brake fluid flush. brakes (rotors, brakes) can go more than 100k on these EV's and Hybrids.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #5
Daleyplanit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 I3 REx

Done!

$150. Not covered under the else service warranty because that didn't transfer with the lease when we assumed it.

I'm considering avoiding the dealer and their high labor rate for this rather simple service should it crop up again.
      06-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
FWIW, I gladly paid the local dealer a smidge over $300 for the scheduled two-year brake fluid change and inspection less than two weeks after bringing my new-to-me i3 BEV home last month. Since I have never owned a BMW before and have more than a year of my factory warranty left, I wanted to go in and introduce myself to the local BMW dealership's service advisors...and let them know that any rumors they've ever heard about me from other dealerships are probably true.

We all know that those scheduled dealership gazillion-point inspections are nothing more than getting a vehicle owner to pay them to look for repair jobs to sell. Having just purchased the car, I consider it money well spent for them to tell me that the only problem they could find was that the rear tires will need to be replaced soon. As an added bonus, there are now dealer maintenance records in my name should anything break before the warranty runs out and they try to say that I was negligent in my scheduled services/inspections.....
      06-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
FWIW, I gladly paid the local dealer a smidge over $300 for the scheduled two-year brake fluid change and inspection less than two weeks after bringing my new-to-me i3 BEV home last month.
FWIW, $300 is borderline rip-off pricing for a brake fluid flush.
The rest of the inspection is just "look and see" job. Alas, BMW dealers now charge minimal 1.5 hour of labor to "hook the car up to the computer" if you are out of (service) warranty.

But if it makes you happy, go for it!

a
Appreciate 0