Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Sad loss of life. Better tactics might've saved this officer's life.

[url]
The responding officers had good tactics: got the vehicle stopped, started shooting, went prone under the car and stopped the murderer.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      04-12-2021, 05:24 AM   #1960
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
I wonder how many guns the perp owns?

Murf
Why do you wonder that?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:41 AM   #1961
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Why do you wonder that?
He seems this far away |>| from being a mass murderer.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:50 AM   #1962
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
He seems this far away |>| from being a mass murderer.
But he isn't! "He's dead, Jim."

Besides, one only needs one gun to commit mass murder; an old revolver would do the trick. Or one car. Or one barrel of homemade AnFO.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-12-2021, 05:59 AM   #1963
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But he isn't! "He's dead, Jim."

Besides, one only needs one gun to commit mass murder; an old revolver would do the trick. Or one car. Or one barrel of homemade AnFO.
But only by the grace of Gd.
Gun ownership stats will help you understand the prob with your second paragraph.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:03 AM   #1964
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
The poor cop had no chance.

Murf
I'm thinking the felled officer should have quickly gone to the other side of the pick up quickly after speaking to him, standing behind it before the killer opened the door so he could see if he was packing something.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #1965
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
But only by the grace of Gd.
Gun ownership stats will help you understand the prob with your second paragraph.
1. It is OK to spell out God. That isn't a bad word.
2. I don't follow your second point.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:19 AM   #1966
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1. It is OK to spell out God. That isn't a bad word.
2. I don't follow your second point.
Spelling out Gd is considered improper in some circles. I don't want to offend.
Some don't capitalize it either.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58897.50
      04-12-2021, 06:25 AM   #1967
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Spelling out Gd is considered improper in some circles. I don't want to offend.
Some don't capitalize it either.
There's too much of 'oh my Gd' why not just 'oh my goodness'.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50
      04-12-2021, 08:04 AM   #1968
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:

I totally agree with you on this one. This shows you how a traffic stops can go from 0 to a 100 in a split second. Passenger approach is good on a busy highway or freeway but we are trained to always watch their hands because the Hands will kill you ( 1.Fatal Error). I would always approach with caution, observe and always remember time is on your side. I do have my handgun out especially at night. Once you make contact, always ask the driver to keep his hand on the steering wheel, if the person is a bit hesitant and fidgety as long as you see their hands, call for a back. If you feel your spider sense is tingling, work your way back to your unit and find cover and wait for your 11 10 to arrive. My academy is 26 weeks and the training/tactics we get here in SoCal from CA Post is very important.
      04-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #1969
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
I totally agree with you on this one. This shows you how a traffic stops can go from 0 to a 100 in a split second. Passenger approach is good on a busy highway or freeway but we are trained to always watch their hands because the Hands will kill you ( 1.Fatal Error). I would always approach with caution, observe and always remember time is on your side. I do have my handgun out especially at night. Once you make contact, always ask the driver to keep his hand on the steering wheel, if the person is a bit hesitant and fidgety as long as you see their hands, call for a back. If you feel your spider sense is tingling, work your way back to your unit and find cover and wait for your 11 10 to arrive. My academy is 26 weeks and the training/tactics we get here in SoCal from CA Post is very important.
What a mess, the problem is when dealing with someone who is goal oriented and has the determination to kill you the advantage falls on the criminal. What a shame. I don't know anything more about this, was the suspect wanted or just completely offside over the traffic offences?
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3508.50
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      04-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #1970
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
What a mess, the problem is when dealing with someone who is goal oriented and has the determination to kill you the advantage falls on the criminal. What a shame. I don't know anything more about this, was the suspect wanted or just completely offside over the traffic offences?
We surely can't profile but once you insatiate the TS, I have dispatch ran their plates, the RO to get intel who I am dealing with for officer safety. To be honest with you I don't do a lot of traffic stops anymore.
      04-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #1971
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
We surely can't profile but once you insatiate the TS, I have dispatch ran their plates, the RO to get intel who I am dealing with for officer safety. To be honest with you I don't do a lot of traffic stops anymore.
It's been quite a while since I was in a scout car, and I only worked in a rural area or on a highway for a short period of time when I first got on in '85. Most of my time in uniform was in the downtown core, but the tactics should be the same. I always ran the plate and RO on the work station before the stop, but you don't always know who's in the car.

It was difficult to tell from the recording but did the officer know the gun was in the car? I gather that isn't completely unheard of in the US, here in Canada the rules are pretty strict about transporting guns legally anyway. It almost sounded like the officer had some discussion about the gun with the guy before he exited the truck.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 08:43 AM   #1972
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Quote:

The killer was so quick shooting the officer in the head, had no chance and no reason to believe he was in danger stopping him about legality of tint windows and check reg papers.
Thank goodness the nutter was terminated before killing someone else.
Quote:
Quote:
The killer was so quick shooting the officer in the head, had no chance and no reason to believe he was in danger stopping him about legality of tint windows and check reg papers.
Thank goodness the nutter was terminated before killing someone else.

Murf
That officer had plenty of chance. For one, the passenger side approach is more disadvantageous. I would've gotten on the PA and told the driver to move his vehicle further off the road so I could offset my vehicle and approach the driver's side. Secondly, he had to ask the guy multiple times to step outside of the vehicle and walk back to his car so he could run him (...something we never do here in Cali, but New Mexico obviously has different tactics). After asking a second time, I would've requested back-up regarding an uncooperative motorist. I could go on, but tactics failed this officer. It's really unfortunate.

Quote:
Quote:

Murf
I'm thinking the felled officer should have quickly gone to the other side of the pick up quickly after speaking to him, standing behind it before the killer opened the door so he could see if he was packing something.
You're on the right track. The officer should've approached from the driver's side from the very beginning.

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed!

Quote:
Quote:
A lot of our peers have slowed down on traffic stops. The reasons vary however. I don't do as many as I used to, but when I do, I make sure to let my sister car know.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
M5Rick58897.50
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #1973
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:
It's been quite a while since I was in a scout car, and I only worked in a rural area or on a highway for a short period of time when I first got on in '85. Most of my time in uniform was in the downtown core, but the tactics should be the same. I always ran the plate and RO on the work station before the stop, but you don't always know who's in the car.

It was difficult to tell from the recording but did the officer know the gun was in the car? I gather that isn't completely unheard of in the US, here in Canada the rules are pretty strict about transporting guns legally anyway. It almost sounded like the officer had some discussion about the gun with the guy before he exited the truck.
It seems like the AR was hidden on the driver's side. As soon as he exited the vehicle he had the AR in hand. We have strict transport rules here in CA too, but criminals don't follow rules.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #1974
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
That officer had plenty of chance. For one, the passenger side approach is more disadvantageous. I would've gotten on the PA and told the driver to move his vehicle further off the road so I could offset my vehicle and approach the passenger side. Secondly, he had to ask the guy multiple times to step outside of the vehicle and walk back to his car so he could run him (...something we never do here in Cali, but New Mexico obviously has different tactics). After asking a second time, I would've requested back-up regarding an uncooperative motorist. I could go on, but tactics failed this officer. It's really unfortunate.

You're on the right track. The officer should've approached from the driver's side from the very beginning.

Agreed!

A lot of our peers have slowed down on traffic stops. The reasons vary however. I don't do as many as I used to, but when I do, I make sure to let my sister car know.
It wasn't uncommon with us to slide by when another car put themselves out on a traffic stop or if they were our investigating anyone on the street regardless of them asking.....if nothing else we'd certainly try to be in the general area incase things went sideways.

I've never got the idea of approaching the passenger side, your angle is shit for seeing the driver and making it harder for him to see you when you approach, the offset was terrible, I agree that he could've used the PA to get the guy a bit further off the road. The thing is, it's usually a bunch of little things that create the bad situation, trying to eliminate any advantages for the bad guys and maintaining our advantage is the main thing.

I won't criticize the officer in this one and just hope that others who watch this might use this video and recognize where things can go wrong. At the end of the day you can never eliminate all the threats.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3508.50
      04-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #1975
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That officer had plenty of chance....
Second guessing is always easier. I see it more like Murf#2:

"What a mess, the problem is when dealing with someone who is goal oriented and has the determination to kill you the advantage falls on the criminal."
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #1976
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

"What a mess, the problem is when dealing with someone who is goal oriented and has the determination to kill you the advantage falls on the criminal."
Quote:
Quote:
That officer had plenty of chance. For one, the passenger side approach is more disadvantageous. I would've gotten on the PA and told the driver to move his vehicle further off the road so I could offset my vehicle and approach the passenger side. Secondly, he had to ask the guy multiple times to step outside of the vehicle and walk back to his car so he could run him (...something we never do here in Cali, but New Mexico obviously has different tactics). After asking a second time, I would've requested back-up regarding an uncooperative motorist. I could go on, but tactics failed this officer. It's really unfortunate.

Agreed!

It wasn't uncommon with us to slide by when another car put themselves out on a traffic stop or if they were our investigating anyone on the street regardless of them asking.....if nothing else we'd certainly try to be in the general area incase things went sideways.

I've never got the idea of approaching the passenger side, your angle is shit for seeing the driver and making it harder for him to see you when you approach, the offset was terrible, I agree that he could've used the PA to get the guy a bit further off the road. The thing is, it's usually a bunch of little things that create the bad situation, trying to eliminate any advantages for the bad guys and maintaining our advantage is the main thing.

I won't criticize the officer in this one and just hope that others who watch this might use this video and recognize where things can go wrong. At the end of the day you can never eliminate all the threats.
I agree and I don't want to sound overly critical. It just pains me to see a brother lose his life when certain things were under his control. Simply requesting back-up might've saved this officer's life.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not second guessing anything. Not all training is created equally. His tactics could've been better. That is a fact!
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 09:02 AM   #1977
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
I don't know anything more about this, was the suspect wanted or just completely offside over the traffic offences?
The officer said he stopped the car because the window tint was too dark.

The driver was on his way to a drug deal, according to an article I read.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #1978
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
I agree and I don't want to sound overly critical. It just pains me to see a brother lose his life when certain things were under his control. Simply requesting back-up might've saved this officer's life.

I'm not second guessing anything. Not all training is created equally. His tactics could've been better. That is a fact!
When I was first on the job we got lots of training around the tactics of traffic stops, but then the annual Use of Force training began to shift to dealing predomenently with EDP's, and were almost always in the training rooms using SIM round and deescalation. Sometime it was out on the street, and after Columbine we did lots of active shooter stuff in school settings. I can't for the life of me remember when we did any tactical training around a traffic stop. I suppose the basics haven't changed really though but it seems that theses types of incidents are more common now.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      04-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #1979
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree and I don't want to sound critical. It just pains me to see a brother lose his life when certain things were under his control.
He also could have been dealt a better hand to play. The cop was not holding the ace of spades, if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:10 AM   #1980
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
The officer said he stopped the car because the window tint was too dark.

The driver was on his way to a drug deal, according to an article I read.
I heard the window tint remarks from the officer, and I don't know if he ran the marker and RO or did I hear him say there were temporary tags on the truck.

I suppose different agencies and individual officers do things differently. Sedan_Clan mentioned asking for back up, some guys I worked with never asked, they'd to stops of people and vehicles and you'd never know they were out of their car. I almost always would broadcast my location and if there was anything that I didn't like ask to see another car.

Someone said "time is on your side", very true. Actually a few simple points, time, distance and the hands will kill you. Slow things down, you get paid by the hour. No worries about letting someone sit in their car waiting for you to get it right.
Appreciate 2
mahalom3163.00
Sedan_Clan24818.50