BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-12-2021, 09:36 AM   #1981
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I heard the window tint remarks from the officer, and I don't know if he ran the marker and RO or did I hear him say there were temporary tags on the truck.

I suppose different agencies and individual officers do things differently. Sedan_Clan mentioned asking for back up, some guys I worked with never asked, they'd to stops of people and vehicles and you'd never know they were out of their car. I almost always would broadcast my location and if there was anything that I didn't like ask to see another car.

Someone said "time is on your side", very true. Actually a few simple points, time, distance and the hands will kill you. Slow things down, you get paid by the hour. No worries about letting someone sit in their car waiting for you to get it right.
Again, watch the hands! My gun is out at this point. I would have kept him inside his vehicle. Never let anyone dictate your TS unless it has something to do with any medical issues.
      04-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #1982
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I agree and I don't want to sound overly critical. It just pains me to see a brother lose his life when certain things were under his control. Simply requesting back-up might've saved this officer's life.

I'm not second guessing anything. Not all training is created equally. His tactics could've been better. That is a fact!
When I was first on the job we got lots of training around the tactics of traffic stops, but then the annual Use of Force training began to shift to dealing predomenently with EDP's, and were almost always in the training rooms using SIM round and deescalation. Sometime it was out on the street, and after Columbine we did lots of active shooter stuff in school settings. I can't for the life of me remember when we did any tactical training around a traffic stop. I suppose the basics haven't changed really though but it seems that theses types of incidents are more common now.
We teach a lot of tactics regarding stops (...approach, contact/bookman duties, lights forecasting positions, etc.)
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #1983
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
I heard the window tint remarks from the officer, and I don't know if he ran the marker and RO or did I hear him say there were temporary tags on the truck.

I suppose different agencies and individual officers do things differently. Sedan_Clan mentioned asking for back up, some guys I worked with never asked, they'd to stops of people and vehicles and you'd never know they were out of their car. I almost always would broadcast my location and if there was anything that I didn't like ask to see another car.

Someone said "time is on your side", very true. Actually a few simple points, time, distance and the hands will kill you. Slow things down, you get paid by the hour. No worries about letting someone sit in their car waiting for you to get it right.
Again, watch the hands! My gun is out at this point. I would have kept him inside his vehicle. Never let anyone dictate your TS unless it has something to do with any medical issues.
Yes! The moment the motorist starts trying to dictate my stop, it's on!!!
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #1984
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

That was a hell of a PIT at the end!

Were those officers, or just good Samaritans for the first officer?
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #1985
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

@Sedan_Clan curious to hear your thoughts on the shooting of Daunte Wright and how the officer said he mistakenly grabbed his gun instead of his taser. They are calling it an "accidental discharge". How tf do you mistake a gun for a taser?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #1986
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

She not he
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      04-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #1987
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
@Sedan_Clan curious to hear your thoughts on the shooting of Daunte Wright and how the officer said he mistakenly grabbed his gun instead of his taser. They are calling it an "accidental discharge". How tf do you mistake a gun for a taser?
So the issue is the music memory. It helps, but it also hinders. It's for this reason your less lethal taser should be opposite your duty weapon. My duty weapon is on my right hip; my taser is on my left thigh.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #1988
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Why would you have your gun out for a routine traffic stop? Seems excessive.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #1989
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
So the issue is the music memory. It helps, but it also hinders. It's for this reason your less lethal taser should be opposite your duty weapon. My duty weapon is on my right hip; my taser is on my left thigh.
Understood. But how can you not tell right away once you reach for it based on the weight? A taser weighs nothing like a loaded glock.

The family will get a massive settlement from this I presume (not that it matters since they lost someone). But hard to believe such a dumb mistake can be made.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:23 PM   #1990
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
Why would you have your gun out for a routine traffic stop? Seems excessive.
There's nothing routine about any traffic stop.

Sometimes I approach with my gun out. Sometimes I don't......but I almost always have my hand on my gun (...and I'm mentally prepared for what may/could happen). Every traffic stop where an officer lost his/her life would have been labeled "routine" by somebody who doesn't do this job. The officer is ALWAYS at the disadvantage.

My CHP buddy lost his life on a freeway in Riverside, California back in 2019. Gunned down by a motorcycle gang member; a Vago I believe. He had only been on a few years.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #1991
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Understood. But how can you not tell right away once you reach for it based on the weight? A taser weighs nothing like a loaded glock.

The family will get a massive settlement from this I presume (not that it matters since they lost someone). But hard to believe such a dumb mistake can be made.
There a bunch of things that go into play and it's not black and white.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #1992
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:

Sometimes I approach with my gun out. Sometimes I don't......but I almost always have my hand on my gun (...and I'm mentally prepared for what may/could happen). Every traffic stop where an officer lost his/her life would have been labeled "routine" by somebody who doesn't do this job. The officer is ALWAYS at the disadvantage.

My CHP buddy lost his life on a freeway in Riverside, California back in 2019. Gunned down by a motorcycle gang member; a Vago I believe. He had only been on a few years.
How many traffic stops are conducted each year vs how many of those stops result in violence against the officer?

As a non-cop, if I pulled my gun every time I thought something was "amiss"
(my term. not yours), I would be in jail or dead a long time ago.

I understand that the police have a shitty job to do. No one likes the police, no matter what. And I understand that you are putting yourselves in jeopardy every time you stop a car. The problem I have is that you are allowed / encouraged to "go to guns" long before there is any justifiable reason to use deadly force. (Some states say showing a gun is deadly force. Their definition, not mine) As a citizen, I am allowed to use deadly force in very few circumstances. As a civilian police officer, I think you are encouraged or permitted to use your gun as a persuasion tool long before any normal civilian could do the same. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that police should be held to similar standards.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:21 PM   #1993
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:

How many traffic stops are conducted each year vs how many of those stops result in violence against the officer?

As a non-cop, if I pulled my gun every time I thought something was "amiss"
(my term. not yours), I would be in jail or dead a long time ago.

I understand that the police have a shitty job to do. No one likes the police, no matter what. And I understand that you are putting yourselves in jeopardy every time you stop a car. The problem I have is that you are allowed / encouraged to "go to guns" long before there is any justifiable reason to use deadly force. (Some states say showing a gun is deadly force. Their definition, not mine) As a citizen, I am allowed to use deadly force in very few circumstances. As a civilian police officer, I think you are encouraged or permitted to use your gun as a persuasion tool long before any normal civilian could do the same. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that police should be held to similar standards.
I can't explain it to you. It's something you just have to experience and navigate daily. It's like trying to explain to somebody who has never been in a fight what being punched/kicked in the face feels like. That's not exactly analogous, but I think you get my point.

You develop a hunch.....a sense....after you have been doing this job awhile (...at least in theory). Complacency kills, as we just saw.

P.S. Plenty of stops result in violence or resistance. I have two videos on my phone right now of stuff that escalated and resulted in me having to use force. Not everything makes the news; I'd wager that most things don't.

P.P.S. Your understanding of our accountability is incorrect. I can't just go pointing a gun at everybody. Having my gun out is a tactic; a show of force. Pointing my gun at someone who doesn't deserve it will get me into a world of trouble in terms of policy.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #1994
Bonk!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 235i m

Quote:
Thank god for video - without it you know she would have said "he reached under the seat" and her partner would have backed her up.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:29 PM   #1995
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
I have two videos on my phone right now of stuff that escalated and resulted in me having to use force. Not everything makes the news; I'd wager that most things don't.
Says this, and then doesn't share. Thanks a lot Scumbag Steve.
Appreciate 1
F30lolz6798.50
      04-12-2021, 07:34 PM   #1996
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
Quote:
Thank god for video - without it you know she would have said "he reached under the seat" and her partner would have backed her up.
Nobody is willing to risk their job like that. That level of dishonesty happens.....rarely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:
I have two videos on my phone right now of stuff that escalated and resulted in me having to use force. Not everything makes the news; I'd wager that most things don't.
Says this, and then doesn't share. Thanks a lot Scumbag Steve.
If I could post videos here, I would post them. One involved a dude using meth in a Starbucks bathroom whom I had to physically remove. The other involved a 6'4" (...I'm 5'10") 5150 who purposely banged his head against my patrol car in an attempt to crack his head open, and who later tried to fight me AND spit on a paramedic.
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7929.00
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 07:45 PM   #1997
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

The head bang before the fight....

...I was so annoyed. It wasn't even my handle. I was assisting my beat partner who was overwhelmed. The call went out as a trespassing call involving a known meth head/frequent flyer. I ended up with a 5150/assault on a peace officer/fire fighter situation.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7929.00
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #1998
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nobody is willing to risk their job like that. That level of dishonesty happens.....rarely.

If I could post videos here, I would post them. One involved a dude using meth in a Starbucks bathroom whom I had to physically remove. The other involved a 6'4" (...I'm 5'10") 5150 who purposely banged his head against my patrol car in an attempt to crack his head open, and who later tried to fight me AND spit on a paramedic.
How's the car? Will it buff out? Kinda more concerned about the car to be honest, than the dude.

But I'm guessing you bought yourself a few hours of paperwork. Sadly, you'll get no sympathy from me during the months of March and April when I'm in tax season and working from 8am-11pm 5 days a week and working Saturdays...makes me turn into a miserable curmudgeon with a distinct lack of sympathy for my fellow man.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #1999
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:

How's the car? Will it buff out? Kinda more concerned about the car to be honest, than the dude.

But I'm guessing you bought yourself a few hours of paperwork. Sadly, you'll get no sympathy from me during the months of March and April when I'm in tax season and working from 8am-11pm 5 days a week and working Saturdays...makes me turn into a miserable curmudgeon with a distinct lack of sympathy for my fellow man.
Lol! I was thinking about the car first too. That caper cost me 7 hours of my shift. Lil asshole he was.

I need my taxes done bro. Hook it up!!!!!
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Joekerr7929.00
      04-12-2021, 08:20 PM   #2000
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Lol! I was thinking about the car first too. That caper cost me 7 hours of my shift. Lil asshole he was.

I need my taxes done bro. Hook it up!!!!!
Hey if you were Canadian I would. But I don't do any cross border tax work.

And my clients are all trying to kill me. Three wanted me to do a valuation of their business during tax time so they could do a capital gains surplus strip before my precious government takes that away. I'm buried in paper.

18 more days...I'm counting.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24974.50
      04-12-2021, 08:46 PM   #2001
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
What’s with this city? The Floyd incident happened what, 10 miles away? And now this? Listen, I get the play stupid games/win stupid prizes analogy, however, IMHO she’ll lose her job but probably won’t be charged for murder like Chauvin. From what I read/seen in video, traffic violation, had a warrant, taser taser taser!, got shot and died.

I can speak from experience and I’ve always followed officers direction/commands. Below is an example how these two officers really wanted me to give them a reason to take me down.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1372067

Sad that a life was lost due to a costly mistake by an officer.

Last edited by F30lolz; 04-12-2021 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #2002
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Quote:
What’s with this city? The Floyd incident happened what, 10 miles away? And now this? Listen, I get the play stupid games/win stupid prizes analogy, however, IMHO she’ll lose her job but probably won’t be charged for murder like Chauvin. From what I read/seen in video, traffic violation, had a warrant, taser taser taser!, got shot and died.

I can speak from experience and I’ve always followed officers direction/commands. Below is an example how these two officers really wanted me to give them a reason to take me down.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1372067

Sad that a life was loss due to a costly mistake by an officer.
I just read your account. I can't believe I missed it the first time around.
Appreciate 0