04-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #2091
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
So to the folks with "gun fear". What exactly is it about a gun that scares you?

How come you will walk across a crosswalk without a concern in the world with 50 law abiding citizens with their cars in gear with hundreds of horsepower and tons of steel bearing down on you with nothing but 1/4 of their foot on their brake stopping you from being rolled under the vehicle and smashed to bits to die a horribly painful death, yet that same citizen with a black piece of metal to their back or waist somehow frightens the hell out of you?

I just don't get the leap. Either one of those require you to have faith that your fellow law abiding citizen won't go blood lust on you and decide to take you out - why is one of no concern and the other is a living nightmare for some?

Maybe I just grew up in an area with lots of guns and very low crime so it never enters my mind, but I just don't get it.
You bring up a fair point. There are areas where everybody carries guns, but crime isn't higher than the areas where carrying is largely prohibited.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2021, 08:27 AM   #2092
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

Well that escalated quickly.
I just typed DRE meaning, should have included LEO reference. My bad, but at least it made for a good morning laugh. Be safe out there, have a good day.
Thank you!

Training day 3 of 5.

I'm hoping to go to Advanced Traffic Investigation training later this year along with Accident Reconstruction. The pre-requisites needed are Basic Traffic Investigation and Intermediate Traffic Investigation, both of which I've already taken, been certified through the state and apply in the field. Getting Accident Reconstruction will be a game changer.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      04-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #2093
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
You bring up a fair point. There are areas where everybody carries guns, but crime isn't higher than the areas where carrying is largely prohibited.
Where I grew up and where I currently live - guns are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. We have pretty limited crime. I see people daily with firearms on their person (constitutional carry state) yet I have never heard of an escalation between people where they came into play. Like a fist fight that turned in to a shooting, etc.

Yes our big cities do have crime, but so do all big cities. So what is the common denominator there?
      04-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #2094
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Where I grew up and where I currently live - guns are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. We have pretty limited crime. I see people daily with firearms on their person (constitutional carry state) yet I have never heard of an escalation between people where they came into play. Like a fist fight that turned in to a shooting, etc.

Yes our big cities do have crime, but so do all big cities. So what is the common denominator there?
I agree. I remember the first time I saw everybody from grandma/grandpa to the store clerk carrying in an Arizona grocery store. It was a beautiful thing.
Appreciate 3
mahalom3163.00
unluky7465.00
paquet629.50
      04-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #2095
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
No it hasn't. Not by a long shot. My department alone handled 700 fatal DUI's in my county last year. Statistically we have been averaging 10,000+ alcohol related collisions a year in this country since 2010, and that's not even including drug related DUI's. It's a huge issue, which is why I'm becoming a state certified DRE in July and why I've been in some additional DUI certification/training all week.
Thanks for the reply.

"Q: Is drunk driving increasing or decreasing?

A: Between 1991 and 2017, the rate of drunk driving fatalities per 100,000 people decreased by nearly 50%. For drivers at the legal drinking age, that rate decreased by 68%."

I noticed CA is the second worst state for fatalities (2003 - 2011), behind only Texas. But they are also the biggest states, & I haven't seen per capita #s yet.

https://www.thezebra.com/resources/r...tatistics-2020

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:01 AM   #2096
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So to the folks with "gun fear". What exactly is it about a gun that scares you?

How come you will walk across a crosswalk without a concern in the world with 50 law abiding citizens with their cars in gear with hundreds of horsepower and tons of steel bearing down on you with nothing but 1/4 of their foot on their brake stopping you from being rolled under the vehicle and smashed to bits to die a horribly painful death, yet that same citizen with a black piece of metal to their back or waist somehow frightens the hell out of you?

I just don't get the leap. Either one of those require you to have faith that your fellow law abiding citizen won't go blood lust on you and decide to take you out - why is one of no concern and the other is a living nightmare for some?

Maybe I just grew up in an area with lots of guns and very low crime so it never enters my mind, but I just don't get it.
"Gun Fear" is derogatory. I prefer talking about greater gun safety. I was shooting a 22 when I was so young I could hardly stand up. We shot in my back yard, all 4.5 acres of it!
We have a saying in Brklyn: "Trust a car & you soon die". Bill de Blasio is gung ho against traffic fatalities, reshaping much of the city.
Cities are not like country areas, and we usually don't pretend to be. Because of the opportunities that cities give folks, we deal with a larger, more diverse, and more needy population. Some of these people make the wrong choices and use guns to improve their material wealth. Many folks in cities are wealthy, making for more targets.
We could also compare the need for autos with the need for guns in various places and situations.

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 04-14-2021 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #2097
mahalom3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Shakir Orange

Quote:
Thank you!

Training day 3 of 5.

I'm hoping to go to Advanced Traffic Investigation training later this year along with Accident Reconstruction. The pre-requisites needed are Basic Traffic Investigation and Intermediate Traffic Investigation, both of which I've already taken, been certified through the state and apply in the field. Getting Accident Reconstruction will be a game changer.
Nice!! the perks with that training is once you retire from your career, you can work as a private contractor and get paid a lot more.
      04-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #2098
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
No it hasn't. Not by a long shot. My department alone handled 700 fatal DUI's in my county last year. Statistically we have been averaging 10,000+ alcohol related collisions a year in this country since 2010, and that's not even including drug related DUI's. It's a huge issue, which is why I'm becoming a state certified DRE in July and why I've been in some additional DUI certification/training all week.
Thanks for the reply.

"Q: Is drunk driving increasing or decreasing?

A: Between 1991 and 2017, the rate of drunk driving fatalities per 100,000 people decreased by nearly 50%. For drivers at the legal drinking age, that rate decreased by 68%."

I noticed CA is the second worst state for fatalities (2003 - 2011), behind only Texas. But they are also the biggest states, & I haven't seen per capita #s yet.

https://www.thezebra.com/resources/r...tatistics-2020

Murf
DUI's DO NOT ONLY ENCOMPASS ALCOHOL RELATED CRASHES!!!!

You always have these know-it-all Google search responses and won't listen to anything else. I tell you we've averaged a certain number over the last decade. You rebut with some other statistic. I am sitting in DUI training and talking with the DA and state/federal experts who know what they are talking about, and you're quick to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about ....yet again!
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      04-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #2099
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahalom3 View Post
Quote:
Thank you!

Training day 3 of 5.

Nice!! the perks with that training is once you retire from your career, you can work as a private contractor and get paid a lot more.
Indeed bro! That's part of why I'm doing it. Working for insurance companies or private contractors would net a gig that'll pay $400-500 hourly for my services post retirement.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      04-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #2100
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
I'm becoming a state certified DRE in July and why I've been in some additional DUI certification/training all week.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      04-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #2101
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:

You always have these know-it-all Google search responses and won't listen to anything else. I tell you we've averaged a certain number over the last decade. You rebut with some other statistic. I am sitting in DUI training and talking with the DA and state/federal experts who know what they are talking about, and you're quick to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about ....yet again!
Bon Jour
Appreciate 3
      04-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #2102
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree. I remember the first time I saw everybody from grandma/grandpa to the store clerk carrying in an Arizona grocery store. It was a beautiful thing.
Why would you like this when stats show that those folks will be more likely to die by guns?

16. States with a higher density of guns experience more gun deaths
17. More police officers are killed on duty in states that have more guns
22. If all mental illnesses in the US were to be cured overnight, violent crime in the country would fall by only 4%
24. Less than 1% of victims of non-fatal attacks use guns for self-defense

A number of crimes stopped by gun owners statistics, including a comprehensive analysis carried out by the US Department of Justice, have consistently shown that actual instances of gun use for self-defense are simply too low to justify carrying firearms in public. In fact, the widespread presence of arms ends up making conflicts deadlier than they have to be.
25. Concealed carry permit laws can lead to increases in violent crimes by 13-15%

In fact, a Stanford study on gun violence trends has shown that states that have enacted expansive laws that permit carrying firearms, mainly for self-defense, end up experiencing a significant rise in violent crimes within a decade. Accidental shooting statistics have shown that guns in home raise the risk of homicides by several degrees. The presence of a gun in a home with a history of domestic violence increases the risk that a woman will be killed by 500%. A suicide using a firearm also becomes that much easier when a gun is close at hand at home.

https://safeatlast.co/blog/gun-violence-statistics/

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #2103
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
1. And what job exactly are you referring too that you need the best "tool" to do as a civilian?

2. Also, just because it's the best tool doesn't make it the right choice for everyone to use.

No one should be able to walk around a Walmart or Target strapped with a semi-automatic across their back.
1. Whatever job a gun is used for. A modern, capable capable rifle is much better at putting bullets on target than any handgun. And if the situation calls for putting bullets in people, high-velocity rifle bullets excel at inflicting damage to tissue, which is why the military use rifles. And hunters. And SWAT teams. Pick the best tool for the job. If I need to shoot someone that probably means I need to stop an attack on me or my family. The quickest way to stop an attack is to stop the attacker. Since I don't typically have an M1A1 Abrams tank with me, or even a SWAT team, I choose to have the best tool I can get my hands on, which is a rifle.

2. Right. Sometimes a handgun is a better tool. Sometimes a shotgun is better. Some people can't operate large guns because of physical limitations, so small pistols are best for them. In any case, I would rather have the option to chose the best tool for myself than rely on some government politician to tell me how to life my life.

3. Everyone should be able to walk around Walmart or Target with a semi-auto across their back. Every free adult should be able to go into that same Walmart and buy a brand new machine gun and the ammo to feed it with no questions asked.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24818.50
paquet629.50
      04-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #2104
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
1. And what job exactly are you referring too that you need the best "tool" to do as a civilian?

2. Also, just because it's the best tool doesn't make it the right choice for everyone to use.

No one should be able to walk around a Walmart or Target strapped with a semi-automatic across their back.
Who can walk around with a gun strapped to their back? Surely nobody in California, or New York....or Nevada.....or Florida....or....?!?

The AR may not be the tool for you, but it's the go-to tool for me and many others.
I know you've seen the headlines. It's happened quite a few times, I believe last I saw it was in Texas. I'm sure you can pull up the news articles online.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      04-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #2105
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Who can walk around with a gun strapped to their back? Surely nobody in California, or New York....or Nevada.....or Florida....or....?!?

The AR may not be the tool for you, but it's the go-to tool for me and many others.
I know you've seen the headlines. It's happened quite a few times, I believe last I saw it was in Texas. I'm sure you can pull up the news articles online.
That's not a common practice at all and headlines are designed to incite/sensationalize. I don't take outlier situations and apply them liberally. In all my travels across the country, I have never in my life seen any civilian with a rifle slung across their back. I'm sure it happens.....rarely....in off open carry states that allow it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #2106
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm trying, but can't find anything that breaks out drugs from alcohol DUI. In fact, none of the sites even mention drugs other than alcohol, including the CHP.CA.GOV annual report. Are the #s that small?
https://www.chp.ca.gov/ImpairedDrivi...on%20FINAL.PDF

Do you have figures comparing drunk driving arrests vs 'other' DUI arrests?
Figures for deaths in those categories?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #2107
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:

I'm trying, but can't find anything that breaks out drugs from alcohol DUI. In fact, none of the sites even mention drugs other than alcohol, including the CHP.CA.GOV annual report. Are the #s that small?
https://www.chp.ca.gov/ImpairedDrivi...on%20FINAL.PDF

Do you have figures comparing drunk driving arrests vs 'other' DUI arrests?
Figures for deaths in those categories?
I do, but it doesn't matter. You'll believe what you want and continue to be contrary and incite because that's your purpose here. I'll keep arresting people for 23152(f) CVC (...DUI drugs).

P.S. Previously drugs/alcohol were combined in 23152(a) CVC, but the state eventually split them so we could track separately.
Appreciate 2
mahalom3163.00
lowrydr3101601.50
      04-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #2108
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Bon Jour
Agency DDB ... Agency, Foote, Cone & Belding (FCB) ... Digital Agency, OMD ... Media Agency

Ogilvy & Mather Direct. Yes, I am familiar with that add. It manipulated people very well on a couple of levels!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #2109
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's not a common practice at all. I don't take outlier situations and apply it liberally.
Fair enough. I looked at how the law allows this though, which is where my point stemmed from.

And also for you mentioning you needing the AR and how it could be the best tool for your job. I have no problem with yourself being a cop carrying one in your squad car. Indeed it may be the best weapon for you if needed.

But like I said, I'm not saying people shouldn't own weapons. I do think though as I previous mentioned we need tighter gun control laws and potentially limiting civilians on what can be owned (such as ARs).
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3508.50
TiMSport12786.50
      04-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #2110
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do, but it doesn't matter....

P.S. Previously drugs/alcohol were combined in 23152(a) CVC, but the state eventually split them so we could track separately.
Yeah, it looks like it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #2111
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Are any of the cops here happy that they don't have to bust pot smokers so hard now?
In the years leading up to pot legalization, when you could see it coming, did you go lenient on the users you dealt with?

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #2112
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do, but it doesn't matter. You'll believe what you want and continue to be contrary and incite because that's your purpose here. I'll keep arresting people for 23152(f) CVC (...DUI drugs).
"Trust, but verify" Ronald Reagan

You so often fail the verification when checked.
Appreciate 0