04-17-2020, 05:49 AM   #903
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I suspect that it is all a sham for the press, so that the social service agencies can cry for more money.....
Google sees an upsurge, but it's early for conclusive figures. But if folks don't believe media, what can I say?

NBC:
"Suarez says that since the Stay at Home Order began, calls for help have shot up 20 percent.

"[If] they live in small places and the family is large, there’s a bit of stress," Suarez said.

Police statistics reveal that in the city of Los Angeles, as of March 21, aggravated assault crimes, including those of domestic violence, have increased more than 4 percent."

Murf
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615128.50
      04-17-2020, 06:12 AM   #904
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Rise of 4%? That surely justifies the emergency hiring for hundreds of thousands of social sciences majors who suddenly lost their only jobs as census workers to flatten that curve!!!!!
      04-17-2020, 06:20 AM   #905
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

And in all fairness, the 4% rise is for all "aggravated assault crimes, including those of domestic violence". They don't actually say domestic violence is up 4%.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
vreihen1615128.50
      04-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #906
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I suspect that it is all a sham for the press, so that the social service agencies can cry for more money.....
Google sees an upsurge, but it's early for conclusive figures. But if folks don't believe media, what can I say?

NBC:
"Suarez says that since the Stay at Home Order began, calls for help have shot up 20 percent.

"[If] they live in small places and the family is large, there's a bit of stress," Suarez said.

Police statistics reveal that in the city of Los Angeles, as of March 21, aggravated assault crimes, including those of domestic violence, have increased more than 4 percent."

Murf
I don't need to listen to the media. I'm out in the streets 4 nights a week, 40+ hours a work week. I can see what's going on at my station. I can also hear the radio across the county (...and being the biggest Sheriff's Dept. in the country, and having friends/partners all over the county), I know what other stations are dealing with as well. When calls for service/obs at my station go from 480-500+ a night down to 280-315 (...or calls at the busiest station in the county drop from 700-800 down to 500-ish), the proof is in the numbers. When law enforcement personnel are "bored", the proof is in the activity. You guys [speaking generally] put way too much weight into what the news reports. Like I said in a post a few days ago, this is the quietest the streets have been in my entire career.

We still have busy nights, but for people to believe that COVID has caused a spike is just incorrect.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
upstatedoc7555.50
vreihen1615128.50
      04-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #907
Gel2al2d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Toyota MR2, '14 BMW M5

Is it true CHP dont get along with the Sheriffs or vice versa? It must be B2V hahaha
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #908
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

What we have seen are an increase in these kinds of calls (...see attachment for further). THIS is just stupid shit to respond to. We get calls for us to tell lil' Susie and Johnny to stay home because of COVID or calls from the parents/grandparents who want to lock lil' Susie and Johnny out because they won't stay home. Really dumb stuff that isn't a crime.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 03-14-2022 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #909
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gel2al2d View Post
Is it true CHP dont get along with the Sheriffs or vice versa? It must be B2V hahaha
No it's not true. When I was with the CHP, we got along fine. Now that I'm with the Sheriff's Dept., we still get along fine. B2V is an entirely different animal, so I stay away from that event completely. Lol!

Some municipal police departments and stations within my department complain about CHP's tactics, but it depends on the station. A CHP station that works rougher areas will/may develop more sound tactics than one that doesn't. The same applies to PD's. If you work the rough areas of the city of L.A. with LAPD, you're going to develop very differently than if you work Irvine with Irvine PD. In the end, law enforcement/fire is full of fraternal gossipy nonsense.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #910
Gel2al2d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Toyota MR2, '14 BMW M5

Ive seen inmates come in from sheriffs stations from East LA pretty badly beaten. Of course the inmate had some fault but wow even custody/CAs/Deps say East LA Sheriffs are brutal.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:14 AM   #911
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
No it's not true. When I was with the CHP, we got along fine. Now that I'm with the Sheriff's Dept., we still get along fine. B2V is an entirely different animal, so I stay away from that event completely. Lol!

Some municipal police departments and stations within my department complain about CHP's tactics, but it depends on the station. A CHP station that works rougher areas will/may develop more sound tactics than one that doesn't. The same applies to PD's. If you work the rough areas of the city of L.A. with LAPD, you're going to develop very differently than if you work Irvine with Irvine PD. In the end, law enforcement/fire is full of fraternal gossipy nonsense.
The police love to gossip, it's like old women.......the other thing is the rumours. We used to say "if you haven't heard a rumour today, then start one".
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      04-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #912
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gel2al2d View Post
Ive seen inmate come in from sheriffs from East LA pretty badly beaten. Of course the inmate had some fault but wow ever custody says East LA Sheriffs are brutal.
ELA is full of gang members (...Mariana, Maravilla, etc.). Those dudes fight with us all of the time. If you fight the cops, prepare for the repercussions. It's not a game out there.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      04-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #913
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
ELA is full of gang members (...Mariana, Maravilla, etc.). Those dudes fight with us all of the time. If you fight the cops, prepare for the repercussions. It's not a game out there.
The cops don't beat people for no reason. Use of force is a pain in the ass and it's a response to behaviour, but so many people immediately assumes police brutality. These are the same people that have never had to handcuff someone who doesn't want to be handcuffed.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24971.50
vreihen1615128.50
      04-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #914
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
The cops don't people for no reason. Use of force is a pain in the ass and it's a response to behaviour, but so many people immediately assumes police brutality. These are the same people that have never had to handcuff someone who doesn't want to be handcuffed.
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #915
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
And in all fairness, the 4% rise is for all "aggravated assault crimes, including those of domestic violence". They don't actually say domestic violence is up 4%.
I'm as surprised as anyone with that 4% #, and also with Sedan saying he sees no increase in dom violence. I think both sources are valid.
Domestic violence is considered one of the under reported 'silent crimes'.

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 04-17-2020 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #916
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm as surprised as anyone with that 4% #, and also with Sedan saying he sees no increase in dom violence. I think both sources are valid.

Murf
Domestic violence is a complicated issue and is tracked differently in different jurisdictions and by different social groups. That is to say, what is the definition of "domestic violence"? And until there is a universally excepted definition and method of tracking it makes it very difficult to say if domestic violence has increased or not.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #917
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:

Murf
I'm not disputing the 4% number nor trying to downplay domestic violence. My only point is the 4% number is for ALL aggravated assaults which covers a broad range of violent crimes so we can't simply assume all of the 4% increase is due to domestic violence.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #918
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm not disputing the 4% number nor trying to downplay domestic violence. My only point is the 4% number is for ALL aggravated assaults which covers a broad range of violent crimes so we can't simply assume all of the 4% increase is due to domestic violence.
You are correct in that this number seems to suggest that "all types" of assaults are up and doesn't differentiate between assault and domestic violence.

Another thing I'd say as a challenge for the USA is every state has it's own penal code, so there may be different definitions of assaults from state to state.

In Canada "aggravated assault" is defined as wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers life. This is a lesser and included offence of Attempt Murder which is an extremely difficult offence to prove so aggravated is often used instead. But in Canada, the Criminal Code is a federal statute and is used and applied similarly in all provinces.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #919
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Point taken. Notice that the LA #s NBC gave are from March 21, almost a month ago. The NYT reported a 25% increase in Russia. I don't think the #s are shaken out yet.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #920
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Point taken. Notice that the LA #s NBC gave are from March 21, almost a month ago. The NYT reported a 25% increase in Russia. I don't think the #s are shaken out yet.

Murf
Even our Sheriff is on record stating crimes are down, so it boggles my mind how the news gathers this data when they don't respond to DV calls, etc.

There have been nights during this pandemic where we have gone 4 hours without one single call for service. That is HUGE! Keep in mind that I work 10 hour graveyard shifts. When people are murdered, beaten, robbed, etc., it usually happens during the hours that I work. Nothing good happens on the streets after midnight.
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3509.50
vreihen1615128.50
      04-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #921
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
You are correct in that this number seems to suggest that "all types" of assaults are up and doesn't differentiate between assault and domestic violence.

Another thing I'd say as a challenge for the USA is every state has it's own penal code, so there may be different definitions of assaults from state to state.

In Canada "aggravated assault" is defined as wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers life. This is a lesser and included offence of Attempt Murder which is an extremely difficult offence to prove so aggravated is often used instead. But in Canada, the Criminal Code is a federal statute and is used and applied similarly in all provinces.
Same here for the most part with regards to the "aggravated" qualifier.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #922
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
What we have seen are an increase in these kinds of calls (...see attachment for further). THIS is just stupid shit to respond to. We get calls for us to tell lil' Susie and Johnny to stay home because of COVID or calls from the parents/grandparents who want to lock lil' Susie and Johnny out because they won't stay home. Really dumb stuff that isn't a crime.
What the fuck did I just read on that computer screen....

Those are the people I wish you'd pull up on and beat down with a batton for being dumb as fuck. Do us all a favor and throw them in a cell.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #923
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
What the fuck did I just read on that computer screen....

Those are the people I wish you'd pull up on and beat down with a batton for being dumb as fuck. Do us all a favor and throw them in a cell.
It's ridiculous in a way that I can't even articulate.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #924
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Coughing AND yelling???

Cats and dogs, living together