04-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #1872
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
It's interesting the things the media reports. Lol! We're good......until we have to make hard decisions and enforce the things people want us to enforce (...while they look away because the work is dirty). As long as we're doing birthday drive-bys, high-5'ing a kid or giving a kid gold Sheriff's stickers (...things I do every day in my patrol area even though the news isn't around to capture it) we stay in their superficial good graces. The moment I have my gun out on a traffic stop or I have to get rough with someone who doesn't listen, all of that lovely gratitude goes out the window in favor of a headline. It's a fickle crowd, so I stop caring and just hope they enjoy the show. Especially when it comes to those who are unwilling to step outside and get punched in the face, but enjoy talking shit behind a closed door (....that's a metaphor).
Appreciate 4
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
paquet629.50
      04-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #1873
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It's interesting the things the media reports. Lol! We're good......until we have to make hard decisions and enforce the things people want us to enforce (...while they look away because the work is dirty). As long as we're doing birthday drive-bys, high-5'ing a kid or giving a kid gold Sheriff's stickers (...things I do every day in my patrol area even though the news isn't around to capture it) we stay in their superficial good graces. The moment I have my gun out on a traffic stop or I have to get rough with someone who doesn't listen, all of that lovely gratitude goes out the window in favor of a headline. It's a fickle crowd, so I stop caring and just hope they enjoy the show. Especially when it comes to those who are unwilling to step outside and get punched in the face, but enjoy talking shit behind a closed door (....that's a metaphor).
Oh well. I guess you'd prefer it if the media didn't cover the positive stories? Why do you think you are in their "superficial good graces"? It sounds as though you think the media is out to get you.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:48 PM   #1874
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
In many ways the media is. Everything is with a slant.
That's just a sadly jaded view. What do you think the "slant" was in this particular story I linked? It's clear someone made a conscious effort to show a feel good story and one showing a harmonious relationship between a typical cop and those in his community. Last thing I'm thinking to myself is "okay, what's the angle on this?". I understand that I'm not walking in your shoes so I'm not going to pretend to understand it all, but maybe it would be nice to not always be suspicious of a hidden agenda.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-06-2021, 08:49 PM   #1875
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh well. I guess you'd prefer it if the media didn't cover the positive stories? Why do you think you are in their "superficial good graces"? It sounds as though you think the media is out to get you.
In many ways the media is out to sensationalize. Everything is reported with a slant that fits the mood of the day. Yes, I would rather not have them report what they deem to be "good" because it's disingenuous and frankly it's only good because it doesn't involve enforcement. The moment something happens we get lambasted and vilified.

With that said, I love the public i service; the community that will stop and shake my hand or send thank you cards to the department in a show of support.
Appreciate 7
Murf99314114.00
cmyx6go15696.50
vreihen1615242.50
mahalom3163.00
Buug95917384.00
paquet629.50
      04-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #1876
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
Defund the media
Appreciate 10
Littlebear3509.50
Murf99314114.00
cmyx6go15696.50
vreihen1615242.50
lakefront560.50
UncleWede17979.50
Buug95917384.00
paquet629.50
bosstones1154.00
      04-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #1877
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Quote:
Defund the media
Now that's a novel idea. Lol!
Appreciate 4
Murf99314114.00
jmack548.50
mahalom3163.00
paquet629.50
      04-06-2021, 08:52 PM   #1878
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Yeah, got it. I'm out before this turns into another political shit show.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      04-07-2021, 04:38 AM   #1879
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quotes by William F. Buckley, jr., famous conservative debater:

"In the hands of a skillful indoctrinator, the average student not only thinks what the indoctrinator wants him to think . . . but is altogether positive that he has arrived at his position by independent intellectual exertion. This man is outraged by the suggestion that he is the flesh-and-blood tribute to the success of his indoctrinators."

"I'd rather entrust the government of the United States to the first 400 people listed in the Boston telephone directory than to the faculty of Harvard University."

"Though liberals do a great deal of talking about hearing other points of view, it sometimes shocks them to learn that there are other points of view."

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said."

"Truth is a demure lady, much too ladylike to knock you on your head and drag you to her cave. She is there, but people must want her, and seek her out."

"He [Cassius Clay] became a Black Muslim, which is a pseudo-religion for unbright neurotics who feel the need to hate all white people."

"The socialized state is to justice, order, and freedom what the Marquis de Sade is to love."

"I will not cede more power to the state. I will not willingly cede more power to anyone, not to the state, not to General Motors, not to the CIO. I will hoard my power like a miser, resisting every effort to drain it away from me. I will then use my power, as I see fit. I mean to live my life an obedient man, but obedient to God, subservient to the wisdom of my ancestors; never to the authority of political truths arived at yesterday at the voting booth. That is a program of sorts, is it not? It is certainly program enough to keep conservatives busy, and Liberals at bay. And the nation free."

MEOW!! But perfectly valid debate entertainment. No room for snowflakes.
Pls grow some....

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 04-07-2021 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 05:58 AM   #1880
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
.... It's a fickle crowd, so I stop caring and just hope they enjoy the show. Especially when it comes to those who are unwilling to step outside and get punched in the face, but enjoy talking shit behind a closed door (....that's a metaphor).
Not a metaphor: used correctly, the internet can make you smarter & less prone to talking sh!t!
It's your choice!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #1881
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Tip of the day:

You can be cited for speeding on a bicycle if you are in the roadway (...since it is considered a vehicle at that point).
Appreciate 3
mahalom3163.00
Murf99314114.00
      04-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #1882
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Tiger Woods press briefing starting now
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #1883
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Tiger Woods press briefing starting now
Enjoy! Commentary after you guys view it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #1884
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
I just read CNN on it, why do I get the feeling they aren't telling the whole story?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #1885
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Tip of the day:

You can be cited for speeding on a bicycle if you are in the roadway (...since it is considered a vehicle at that point).
Stop Signs and most moving violations (rules of the road) also apply, at least they do here. I used to really piss off bicycle couriers back in the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #1886
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
I just read CNN on it, why do I get the feeling they aren't telling the whole story?
...because you have a well informed knowledge base about how this stuff works. I applaud the Sheriff for going as far as he did with this though. Tiger wants to blame the road/curvature, Hyundai, the rental car company, etc......everything but him driving too fast for conditions. We had DRE's on site, but nobody tested for impairment.

Quote:
Quote:
Tip of the day:

Stop Signs and most moving violations (rules of the road) also apply, at least they do here. I used to really piss off bicycle couriers back in the day.

+1
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #1887
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
...because you have a well informed knowledge base about how this stuff works. I applaud the Sheriff for going as far as he did with this though. Tiger wants to blame the road/curvature, Hyundai, the rental car company, etc......everything but him driving too fast for conditions. We had DRE's on site, but nobody tested for impairment.

+1
I'm not watching the presser but is that actually what he's doing, blaming the road?? I've driven that road many times and there is absolutely no excuse for being in an accident like he was in, except for him being an idiot and driving well over the speed limit. It's not like he doesn't know that area either. Just seems suspicious.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #1888
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:

+1
In my experience pro athletes often were given a pass on roadside screening etc. out of deference, members of the Toronto Maple Leafs were the worst. Charging a celeb would give me a personal sense of satisfaction but I am also well aware of the grief it will bring. The celeb won't be the one on trial but the officer who laid the charge and anyone associated with the investigation. Probably not the case here of course though.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #1889
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

+1
I'm not watching the presser but is that actually what he's doing, blaming the road?? I've driven that road many times and there is absolutely no excuse for being in an accident like he was in, except for him being an idiot and driving well over the speed limit. It's not like he doesn't know that area either. Just seems suspicious.

Yes! He's blaming the road, Hyundai, the rental company, etc.

Quote:
Quote:

+1
In my experience pro athletes often were given a pass on roadside screening etc. out of deference, members of the Toronto Maple Leafs were the worst. Charging a celeb would give me a personal sense of satisfaction but I am also well aware of the grief it will bring. The celeb won't be the one on trial but the officer who laid the charge and anyone associated with the investigation. Probably not the case here of course though.
You'd be 100% correct, but I, too, find satisfaction in seeing celebs burn.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
mahalom3163.00
      04-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #1890
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

This is so aggravating to hear. I had already lost respect for TW before this incident and now this. Pathetic.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25059.50
Murf99314114.00
      04-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #1891
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
Yeah, got it. I'm out before this turns into another political shit show.
agreed, hopefully we can get to a point in this country where folks realize majority of media is propaganda and its no longer "political" As soon as we get there, we won't be as divided.
Appreciate 5
Sedan_Clan25059.50
Murf99314114.00
jmack548.50
paquet629.50
      04-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #1892
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
agreed, hopefully we can get to a point in this country where folks realize majority of media is propaganda and its no longer "political" As soon as we get there, we won't be as divided.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Appreciate 3
mahalom3163.00
jmack548.50
paquet629.50