Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

02-21-2024, 12:40 AM   #1
jhoff909
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50, Tesla M3

Android Auto vs BMW apps

Do folks use AA or the built in apps? My car is on it's way and am curious. Coming from Tesla, the built in stuff works fairly well and not sure I'd need AA... wondering if the integration with HUD and preconditioning for charging, finding charging stations, etc is better with the BMW apps / nav?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 09:11 PM   #2
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

Aa is so much better than Tesla's built in apps there is no comparison. Your phone is your entire life, when you hop in the car it's seamless integration, I could never figure out why Elon thought anyone would want otherwise. All your apps, all your ai , music podcasts etc.. simple and easy. When I had my Tesla the apps were terrible , we didn't even get Spotify for the longest time... The native bmw system is okay but honestly I only use it for preconditioning to chargers otherwise I wouldn't really need it. The other thing you will love is using the idrive wheel to navigate (although if you are used to reaching for a screen and if you never owned a bmw before you will likely not like it as much as I do). Also everything works, it's not buggy etc. however bmw commits to certain features etc for a model year, they will fix a defect but don't expect big feature updates or anything from a newer model year to trickle down. But also remember that you won't have to deal with an update breaking a feature you had or deploying a feature that makes a bunch of problems like some of the Tesla updates. Also you will love surround view for parking. While it's better than a lot of other manufacturers I will say the bmw app for your phone is very lacking compared to Tesla. Like you can precondition your cabin but can't set the temp remotely, and you can't see the current charging speed when you are plugged in. Also when searching for chargers the system is a bit goofy in the nav, it would be nice if it factored in your direction of travel instead of giving you a charger 15miles behind you but if you select the map you can zoom out and just search like Tesla. Also the cabin is quiet, your phone calls sound great and clear to ppl on the other end.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2024, 11:57 PM   #3
jhoff909
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50, Tesla M3

So If I use the BMW nav and plan a trip with it that requires charging will it plan stops for me and precondition like Tesla?

We do have a Tesla too (2019 Model 3 SR+) so I'm sure I will constantly compare. But it's my wife's car and the i4 M50 will be mine ☺️. I've been driving a 2007 Prius.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:05 PM   #4
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

I think so, I don't use it that often I usually use Google then just search nearby chargers with the nav so the car starts to precondition but I am fairly certain it does the same. I will say the one thing you don't want to do with the bmw is drive to a new place then need to charge and assume there is a good working fast charger, next year when we have access to the supercharger network that won't be the case but for right now it's a bit touch and go.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2024, 10:11 PM   #5
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff909 View Post
So If I use the BMW nav and plan a trip with it that requires charging will it plan stops for me and precondition like Tesla?

We do have a Tesla too (2019 Model 3 SR+) so I'm sure I will constantly compare. But it's my wife's car and the i4 M50 will be mine ☺️. I've been driving a 2007 Prius.
Yes. But always cross check charger availability on the specific charging network app so you don’t have any surprises.

For example if BMW nav says you have to stop at an EA charger , open the EA app and make sure that’s an ok location to stop. Enough functioning chargers and so on.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 08:34 AM   #6
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40, i3 60Ah

I prefer the built in apps to both Android Auto and Apple Carplay.
I think Apple Carplay is just plain ugly and for some reason AA uses a lot of power. It can drain the phone battery really quickly. Or, well, it did when I last tried it sat least. Haven't used it in a year or so.

Also, the built in spotify sounds better than spotify in AA at least. Can't recall about Carplay. I have an iphone as well but it's more or less stationary since I prefer to leave it at work at the end of the day.
Appreciate 1
cruzer6661237.00
      04-13-2024, 03:01 AM   #7
jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jaguar I-Pace

I despise Android Auto. It's as bad now as it was 5 years ago. I spit in the eye of the law and just use the phone directly.

phone directly > BMW apps >>>>>>> android auto
Appreciate 0