Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #23
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I'ld really be curious to know why that protrusion is there and what purpose it serves!

It seems to be a pretty significant aero compromise (not to mention a damage magnet) and its got to be there for a reason. Its also very interesting that you only have it on one side of the car. (Correct?) What exactly is being shrouded within that protrusion? Why couldn't that item (what ever it is) be nested further up into the chassis? If this was a vehicle from a lesser company it would be screaming "engineering afterthought" to me...

Please ask you dealer to explain its purpose to you and then let us know what they say!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #24
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

I haven't looked on my car, but could it perhaps be something to do with the different Aero on original i8 cars? i.e. a lot more air vents into the front compartment to cool the radiators, and out the bonnet vent?

As others have said, it could also simply be to drain water from that vent.

The old models also have a slightly better drag coefficient, due to the vent. It could all be linked.

We need someone to ask about it in Leipzig
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #25
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

I did notice some of the specs seemed to be better on the older i8's but figured maybe the source I was reading wasn't completely accurate.

When I was going over the damage with the shop manager, he did point out numerous air vents in that area (that had also been damaged).

Maybe I'll pour a bucket of water on the hood and see where it drains out lol
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #26
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That sounds like an easy test.

Personally, I don't believe that adding a protrusion like that on the underside of the car is going to increase the aero efficiency. The fact that its only on one side of the car just adds support to my speculation...

My guess is that it has some functional purpose (not aero) or is shrouding something which provides some level of functionality.

That fact that it appears to have been eliminated in the LCI is also pretty telling...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 03:20 PM   #27
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

I'm not speculating that the protrusion would improve aero. Just that the better aero would also require drainage (as it is open to the sky), and perhaps the protrusion is necessary for that.

In any case, someone needs to ask i Division, at the next Leipzig
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #28
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I agree, but a drain just needs to be at the lowest point in the area in which water collects. It doesn't have to be in a pocket a full inch or so below the entire bottom of the car...
Appreciate 0