BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #1
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Heads up display

Does anyone know if its possible to change whats displayed on the head up? I want to see gear and or rpm if possible. Mine only shows speed as far as i know.
Appreciate 1
fbuzila365.50
      01-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
Does anyone know if its possible to change whats displayed on the head up? I want to see gear and or rpm if possible. Mine only shows speed as far as i know.
I wish to know that too; on my F15 (x5) I was able to add line departure and signals, but that's it...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

FYI: 2016+ show RPM and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

In manual Sport mode, the HUD on the MY 2019 cars show RPM with an indication of optimal shift points, as well as a prominent display of gear selection and MPH. If one is using the nav system at the same time, the nav directions move to the center portion of the main display. Very useful configuration.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-16-2019, 12:25 AM   #5
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

From what I gathered on another thread, BMW started this is not possible with pre-LCI cars (although the software engineer in me calls BS at this).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
FYI: 2016+ show RPM and more...
Do you mean 2018+?

My 2017 does not.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxsirrah View Post
Do you mean 2018+?

My 2017 does not.
Ooops, 2019+

Thanks for catching that...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #8
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
From what I gathered on another thread, BMW started this is not possible with pre-LCI cars (although the software engineer in me calls BS at this).
One would think a Software Engineer would also understand that the hardware and underlying codebase can change in quite a meaningful way. That replacing one piece of hardware or software can have ripple effects in the rest of the hardware and software which is interfaced. ...and that "what is possible" is also very much dictated by what can be tested to conform with corporate requirements, successfully marketed, and be installed with a reasonable level of effort and affordability.

Of course, maybe that's just the CEO in me speaking...

Appreciate 1
Louv300.50
      01-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #9
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Of course, maybe that's just the CEO in me speaking...

Yeah – I was a CEO a while back of a small, but profitable, s/w company. Got screwed in the corporate sale and barely made a profit on that… in a nod to Scott McNealy (who sold his company about the same time) – “I wasn’t even a good capitalist”. Besides, looking at your stable of cars I’d lose the chest thumping contest

But I hold that the actual changes to the HUD would, given the ECU data’s there, would be “trivial”. But cost to develop against “returns” (of which the only one I could see would be good will, unless they charged for it), I can see why BMW wouldn’t do it. Plus you’d lessen the incentive, however appreciably small, to buy the new car. The i8’s LCI HUD showing RPM is a USP over its predecessor.

PS - I'm not knocking any successful CEO - quite the opposite. Having tried and failed in that shark pool, I tip my hat to anyone who succeeds!

Last edited by BanjoPaterson; 01-17-2019 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep

so will it or won't it work on a 2016??
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #11
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep

its so annoying the speed is really the last thing i need up there, gear and rpm would be way more important
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #12
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah – I was a CEO a while back of a small, but profitable, s/w company. Got screwed in the corporate sale and barely made a profit on that… in a nod to Scott McNealy (who sold his company about the same time) – “I wasn’t even a good capitalist”. Besides, looking at your stable of cars I’d lose the chest thumping contest

But I hold that the actual changes to the HUD would, given the ECU data’s there, would be “trivial”. But cost to develop against “returns” (of which the only one I could see would be good will, unless they charged for it), I can see why BMW wouldn’t do it. Plus you’d lessen the incentive, however appreciably small, to buy the new car. The i8’s LCI HUD showing RPM is a USP over its predecessor.

PS - I'm not knocking any successful CEO - quite the opposite. Having tried and failed in that shark pool, I tip my hat to anyone who succeeds!
Well, I've been the CEO/owner of a company which is the global leader in a very specific type of computer technology since I founded it in 1998. I started doing software development in 1976 (you read that correctly) and continue write code and do PCB Hardware development til this very day. Microsoft has globally licensed some of the software I have personally developed. So yeah, Software Developer, Hardware Engineer, and CEO...

Although I don't understand why they didn't put that data in the HUD from the beginning (as other BMWs have it) I also fully understand why they wouldn't want to try and retrofit the older vehicles. Sometimes things are "unfortunate" but still quite understandable...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well, I've been the CEO/owner of a company which is the global leader in a very specific type of computer technology since I founded it in 1998. I started doing software development in 1976 (you read that correctly) and continue write code and do PCB Hardware development til this very day. Microsoft has globally licensed some of the software I have personally developed. So yeah, Software Developer, Hardware Engineer, and CEO...

Mine is a sad tale of four software developers with the nucleus of leading software (at the time in 1996); putting in all our money to develop and create a business; deciding to go venture capital and in that finding a "bad actor". Whilst we made some money, it definitely wasn't a lot and in the process ruined friendships, broke away least one marriage (not mine, thankfully), but a good experience of what was required to succeed. However, I was in my early 40s with mortgage and children starting high school, so I went back to consulting where I've been successful.

My advice for anyone brave enough to go down this path is to be exceptionally profitable BEFORE venture capital (or better, avoid them); start young so if it goes TU you've time to try again; and never sign away any IP. Finally, money spent in due diligence beforehand is worthwhile. Oh, and particularly if you go into business with friends as partners have contracts beforehand on what's expected and exit plans (plus what happens to non performers).

Oh yes. And a contract is only as good as the willpower and funds to defend it.

Not that I'm bitter....

... and correct assessment on the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #14
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

interesting, most of people here work or make money in IT/tech industry...
or only we care about "Head up display"?
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #15
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Soon to be CEO here
But isn't this forum about BMWs?
Btw: I couldn't care less about the HUD. My summer ride is pure, without any cool tech (e30 vert)
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #16
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...My advice for anyone brave enough to go down this path is to be exceptionally profitable BEFORE venture capital (or better, avoid them);...
Venture Capitol is for folks who learned about it in Business School - not for people who ACTUALLY build businesses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuzila View Post

interesting, most of people here work or make money in IT/tech industry...
or only we care about "Head up display"?
Nah, its because the i8 is purely a tech toy!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2019, 01:49 AM   #17
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Quote:
Agree.
Failed to code it because shift point signals are obviously not leaded to HUD.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #18
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Agree.
Failed to code it because shift point signals are obviously not leaded to HUD.
I don't think that's correct.

Like most other "smart" devices in modern cars, its likely the HUD is just reading data as its passed around the CANBUS. It probably has access to EVERYTHING if it wants it.

You can monitor all sorts of data via a 10$ Bluetooth adapter plugged into your OBDII port (CANBUS Data). The reason this data is floating around in the first place is cause that's exactly how the various systems in the car communicate and pass data.

For example, when the Maxhaust Sound Module for the i8 is installed into an i8, two of the wires tapped are CANBus Hi and CANBus Lo. This is where the Maxhaust Sound System not only gets RPM info but also watches for messages which indicate the current mode of the car (Comfort, Eco, Sport). There are volumes of data flowing around the CANBUS network.

I wouldn't expect the HUD to work any differently.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 02:37 AM   #19
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Quote:
I don't think that's correct.

Like most other "smart" devices in modern cars, its likely the HUD is just reading data as its passed around the CANBUS. It probably has access to EVERYTHING if it wants it.

You can monitor all sorts of data via a 10$ Bluetooth adapter plugged into your OBDII port (CANBUS Data). The reason this data is floating around in the first place is cause that's exactly how the various systems in the car communicate and pass data.

For example, when the Maxhaust Sound Module for the i8 is installed into an i8, two of the wires tapped are CANBus Hi and CANBus Lo. This is where the Maxhaust Sound System not only gets RPM info but also watches for messages which indicate the current mode of the car (Comfort, Eco, Sport). There are volumes of data flowing around the CANBUS network.

I wouldn't expect the HUD to work any differently.
I am not an expert in CANbus and stuff. A friend of mine brought the coding equipment and CARLY software and we were playing around a bit.
It was possible to code an idrive menu point "display shift set point (ON/OFF)" but it had no effect at all. Signal is obviously somehow not present in COMBI where HUD signals are generated.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #20
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
I am not an expert in CANbus and stuff. A friend of mine brought the coding equipment and CARLY software and we were playing around a bit.
It was possible to code an idrive menu point "display shift set point (ON/OFF)" but it had no effect at all. Signal is obviously somehow not present in COMBI where HUD signals are generated.
Display where? I’m no expert, but I’d expect you need to be very clear on where you want data to show up and how. It won’t just pop up on the HUD because you built in a toggle somehwere. The display would have to be configured (in terms of its real estate) to actually show the data and position it relative to other information. And it would need to have a display format defined, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #21
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not talking about SENDING CANBUS Data to control your car, I'm talking about READING CANBUS data to interpret what it is saying. This is exactly what all the 10$ Bluetooth ODBII adapters do when connected to a free SmartPhone App (Torque). Or you can buy the $200+ official "M" device and app which has much less functionality...

There is a large CANBUS data set with a common data format that manufacturers have agreed upon. This includes many of the real common stuff. If all you want to do is watch the RPM and Transmission Gear, then that data is easily available and in an industry standard format.

I EXPECT that is exactly how the HUD works. Its just reading and displaying the readily available CANBus data. For example: Why go through all the hassle of tapping some RPM data from some HW and SW proprietary point in the instrument cluster, when the 2 common Canbus wires deliver everything you need (and more).
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #22
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Display where? I’m no expert, but I’d expect you need to be very clear on where you want data to show up and how. It won’t just pop up on the HUD because you built in a toggle somehwere. The display would have to be configured (in terms of its real estate) to actually show the data and position it relative to other information. And it would need to have a display format defined, etc.
I don't think any "real estate" needs to be allocated. This isn't some fixed format display.

I would EXPECT BMW is using the same technology as present in many of its other vehicles. (Unlike the i8) The HUD in most M cars displays multiple different screens of data depending on mode the car is in. (The content of the displays aren't "fixed").

My guess is that its simply a very bright LED panel that reflects off the windshield. Its not terribly complicated and it will display pretty much anything you "paint" on it...
Appreciate 0